Thread: Plans for Windows 11 on ARM ??

Potential Tuner

Plans for Windows 11 on ARM ??

Hi HPtuners guys,

Do you have any plans on releasing the VCM Suite for Windows 11 for the ARM architecture? I ask because my laptop is a Mac with the M1 chip, which is an ARM-derivative, and I use Windows 11 for ARM on my laptop in a virtual machine. I've been doing this for years with my older Intel-based MacBook Pro and Windows 10, and the VCM Suite runs perfectly. Always has. The VCM Suite also works great under Windows 11 for x86 on my old laptop in a virtual machine; Windows 11 compatibility doesn't seem to have any issue so far. I'd like, at some point, to be able to retire the 6-year old laptop with the worn battery and go full-time with the new laptop, but that would require some ARM support so it could run on my M1 Mac.

My understanding is that the "for ARM" version of Windows 11 can automatically translate Intel x86 apps, like VCM Editor and VCM Scanner, automatically with no required input on the part of the developer; however the USB device driver for the MPVI2 would need to be recompiled. It's literally a 3-click operation, but would have to be done. No rewriting necessary for the driver, as far as Microsoft claims. I know my situation is a bit different from most, but if HPtuners could make the device driver compatible for Windows 11 on ARM, then the rest of the suite should work without modification.

Thoughts? Plans? Ideas?

Thanks, guys.

-TheDude

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We currently have no eta for ARM processor support, sorry.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude1024 View Post
    Hi HPtuners guys,

Do you have any plans on releasing the VCM Suite for Windows 11 for the ARM architecture? I ask because my laptop is a Mac with the M1 chip, which is an ARM-derivative, and I use Windows 11 for ARM on my laptop in a virtual machine. I've been doing this for years with my older Intel-based MacBook Pro and Windows 10, and the VCM Suite runs perfectly. Always has. The VCM Suite also works great under Windows 11 for x86 on my old laptop in a virtual machine; Windows 11 compatibility doesn't seem to have any issue so far. I'd like, at some point, to be able to retire the 6-year old laptop with the worn battery and go full-time with the new laptop, but that would require some ARM support so it could run on my M1 Mac.

My understanding is that the "for ARM" version of Windows 11 can automatically translate Intel x86 apps, like VCM Editor and VCM Scanner, automatically with no required input on the part of the developer; however the USB device driver for the MPVI2 would need to be recompiled. It's literally a 3-click operation, but would have to be done. No rewriting necessary for the driver, as far as Microsoft claims. I know my situation is a bit different from most, but if HPtuners could make the device driver compatible for Windows 11 on ARM, then the rest of the suite should work without modification.

Thoughts? Plans? Ideas?

Thanks, guys.

-TheDude
    Have you tried running VCM with your setup? I'm in the same boat and can't get it to run at all with any of the compatibility options
    09 LNF: K&N Cai, ZZP IC, Injen IC piping, 3bar maps, efr 6758 (440whp!), Zeitronix E85 gauge, Innovate LC-1, WOTbox, HPTuners/Selftuned

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr73 View Post
    Have you tried running VCM with your setup? I'm in the same boat and can't get it to run at all with any of the compatibility options
    I am in the same boat. I am running MacBook Pro M1 Pro with Windows 11 Arm preview. The app won?t run at all with any of the compatibility settings. Crew Chief Pro runs i am waiting on a new rs232 dongle to see if it will pick up the serial port with silicon labs chipset and arm driver. I guess this is all part of being an early adopter of the Mac on M1. I am keeping my old MacBook anyways and will run it to do my tuning and race software. Laptops get trashed in the car trailer and car anyways lol.

Hahaha darn!
    09 LNF: K&N Cai, ZZP IC, Injen IC piping, 3bar maps, efr 6758 (440whp!), Zeitronix E85 gauge, Innovate LC-1, WOTbox, HPTuners/Selftuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We currently have no eta for ARM processor support, sorry.
    ARM would be really cool though. I have a Raspberry Pi running Windows 10 and that would make for a sweet little VCM scanner setup pumped into the video input on the headunit. I have that now but I have to keep a full sized laptop in the car all the time for it. Could stash that little Pi in the glove box.

IMG_5136.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Bump....do we have any updates to Windows for ARM support? About to replace the old 2018 intel Mac with a M1 chip

I have been using an Acer Nitro 5 AN517-54-79L1 laptop for over 4 months now with no issues. Works great and SUPER fast. Been using it with GM TLC also with zero issues. I also use VMware Workstation Pro with Win10 pro 64, Windows 7 pro 64, and XP. All work great.

Potential Tuner
    Another Apple M1 with Windows 11 ARM on Parallels user here Could we get some action on this?
    Last edited by deezus; 07-25-2022 at 09:04 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Me too...just upgraded not thinking about it and now I can't run the software.

Potential Tuner
    I too would like to find out more about being able to tune my 2022 Mach 1 with my RTD3 and my MacBook 1.2 Quad core i7

So here is what I found out. I got a Microsoft surface pro w/ arm processor (64) on windows 11 and it wouldn?t work until I installed the driver for an ODBX device. Then it would only work with an usb-c to usb adapter facing towards the computer. I replaced it with a usb-c to usb-c cable and it works perfectly. The only thing that I?m not sure is standard is that I can scan with Bluetooth but must keep the cable connection to write.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Perna00 View Post
    So here is what I found out. I got a Microsoft surface pro w/ arm processor (64) on windows 11 and it wouldn?t work until I installed the driver for an ODBX device. Then it would only work with an usb-c to usb adapter facing towards the computer. I replaced it with a usb-c to usb-c cable and it works perfectly. The only thing that I?m not sure is standard is that I can scan with Bluetooth but must keep the cable connection to write.
    Got a link to the driver you got to work? Been trying to get mine to actually connect for a few days now. Im using windows 11 on parallels 18.

Is there a way to check which drivers it is using? I downloaded quite a few when I was trying to get it to connect and I’m not sure which one.