Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LS1 232/234 Cam Install (Wont Start Without Throttle)

Advanced Tuner
    I'm sorry I missed the post. I'll take a look at this in the morning. Did you try those channels list to get the right information? You're not trying to get the idle perfect but if it's too far off the adder tables won't work right and you just start going back and forth chasing your tail. I'll get back with you soon

Tuner in Training
    Update:
    I have fixed the cold start issue. Now Im trying to get the hot start side of things sorted.....
    To sort the cold start, I effectively went back to a stock setup and went through the normal steps. (SD only, VE table correct based on lambda error, spark update, RAF update, throttle opening etc)

A big rev will cause it to stall when warm. While the revs are dropping back after the rev, the adaptive idle pulls air and then over shoots the target idle speed (underspeed) and by the time the adaptive idle reacts to put air back in, the engine has stalled. Small revs are ok as there is a delay as to when the adaptive idle pulls air to try and correct things. I will start to play with the cracker table in the 0mph cells.

There is still one thing that is weird. When it hot and wont start without throttle input, it will not idle on its own for approx 3-5mins. If the IAC steps are driven to 0 via the bi-directional tools and then turned "back on" it is fine immediately. The IAC returns to where it was before setting it to 0, but the idle cleans up immediately. Both the the IAC desired and actual are always aligned.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BENN0 View Post
    Update:
    I have fixed the cold start issue. Now Im trying to get the hot start side of things sorted.....
    To sort the cold start, I effectively went back to a stock setup and went through the normal steps. (SD only, VE table correct based on lambda error, spark update, RAF update, throttle opening etc)

A big rev will cause it to stall when warm. While the revs are dropping back after the rev, the adaptive idle pulls air and then over shoots the target idle speed (underspeed) and by the time the adaptive idle reacts to put air back in, the engine has stalled. Small revs are ok as there is a delay as to when the adaptive idle pulls air to try and correct things. I will start to play with the cracker table in the 0mph cells.

There is still one thing that is weird. When it hot and wont start without throttle input, it will not idle on its own for approx 3-5mins. If the IAC steps are driven to 0 via the bi-directional tools and then turned "back on" it is fine immediately. The IAC returns to where it was before setting it to 0, but the idle cleans up immediately. Both the the IAC desired and actual are always aligned.
    What's the IAC position at a hot idle?

Advanced Tuner
    Howdy BENNO. I am glad you got the cold start working. What was the solution? I posted the IAC channels earlier, did you get a chance to create a log using them?

Tuner in Training
    IAC when hot is approx 80-100 at idle. I will close the blade a 1/4 turn to bring it try and bring it down a little more.

The solution was to give it more air via the throttle blade and less via the IAC once I had the VE table pretty close via the wideband. I went way too far with the throttle opening to start with just to get it to start without touching the throttle, then gradually closed the throttle opening. It took a bunch of cold starts to get it in the window, then used the standard RAF table process to get it closer, then tweaked throttle blade again, rinse and repeat.

Fuel and timing were in the window to start with which helped. Now I need to do the last couple of tweaks on the throttle blade, touch up the cracker table and then start on the hot starts.

You mean OPEN the blade to bring the IAC counts down.