Thread: Programming Blank E38 with Slave Addition

Programming Blank E38 with Slave Addition

I searched but haven't found a clear answer.

On a LS3 swap utilizing a 2011 Corvette OS E38 that I need to replace the ECM on, can I just buy a new (blank) E38 (correct service model i know) and then use my current tune and add the slave data do a write entire and I am good to go?

When this feature came out to add the slave data, the notes seemed to imply this, but i have never tried it as have not needed to do it before now

There are two whole segments in the ECM that are not in the .hpt file when you do a read, one of those segments just coincidentally happens to have the word 'slave' in the name. Clicking 'add slave data' does not add two new segments to the file out of nowhere.

If you are asking this because you don't have a tool capable of doing GM SPS programming, why not just buy an ECM pre-programmed with the VIN you specify?

No. You need the initial programming using TLC (TechLine Connect) GM's programming software. Don't know if there are any direct copy programs out there but HPT doesn't do full programming. Any time I do a tune the first thing I do is use TLC to update the operating software. It changes ALL KINDS of "stuff"

Thanks... The reason though i am asking is that if you search on this from when version 3.2 was released "Engineer@HPT" on June 20, 2016 stated it was a feature of this new ability...

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Open an E38 or E67 tune. Go into the Edit menu and hit "Add Slave Segment Data."
    This was added to allow customers with aftermarket throttle bodies to adjust P1516 DTC thresholds that can cause the vehicle to go into reduced engine power mode. The feature has the nice side effect of being able to truly write entire an ECM (initialize another ECM with the exact same tune).
    The slave segment section cannot be read back with the standard read process, but you can always add it this way.
    Does this mean I could get second hand E38 and not need a Tech2 to write any HW compatible SW version into it? For example a 2010 E38 from a Camaro and replace the entire SW with 2010 Corvette SW?

Engineer@HPT said:
    06-20-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by barum View Post
    Does this mean I could get second hand E38 and not need a Tech2 to write any HW compatible SW version into it? For example a 2010 E38 from a Camaro and replace the entire SW with 2010 Corvette SW?
    Aside from changing the VIN (which you can accomplish with an unlimited license), yes you can.

Go ahead then, let us know what happens. Be real curious to see the CalID/CVNs for the Engine and Slave Operating System segments after this is done.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Go ahead then, let us know what happens. Be real curious to see the CalID/CVNs for the Engine and Slave Operating System segments after this is done.
    yes what i was trying to find out if anyone has actually done it and conclusively knows already