Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E38 software with 4WD

Tuner in Training

E38 software with 4WD

Hi all

finishing a transmission swap in 2009 Express van with 6.0. It was a swap over swap, because originally it was a 2WD with 4l80 transmission, then
    converted by Quigley to 4x4 with 4L90 trans and hand (not electric) shifted NP262 (probably) Silverado T-case.
    Has E38 ECM Now it has a 6l80 transmission mated to the same t-case thru custom made adapter and intermediate shaft. Used the harness and interface from TrueBlue Motorsports.
    Everything works, did a slight tune to to spark tables, tweaked the TC lock DoD and other stuff plus figuring out how to make the TUTD work.
    It works, drives shifts....

But i need to adress a 4WD Low. I need to get the ECM know that it is in 4WD low mode. This can be done by grounding the pin 2 at the black E38 ECM. But this only works
    with an operating system out of a 4WD truck with floor shifted T-case. So please i am looking for that system or at least a VIN from that kind of truck.

or maybe a segment swap or merging two files together or something like that....

Sorry if some of my descriptions are not correct, but i am more a Mopar guy and chevy world is a bit new to me.

many thanks
    Last edited by skjeep; 10-25-2021 at 02:19 PM.

You need to post your current file. There were early 2009 and late 2009 ECMs and the tune files (and VIN-based calibrations) are not interchangeable between them.

Did you check the repository for a stock 4X4 of an appropriate year?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You need to post your current file. There were early 2009 and late 2009 ECMs and the tune files (and VIN-based calibrations) are not interchangeable between them.
    Hardware differences? What kind?

2008 Silverado 1GCEC19J28Z240561 E38 5.3 LY5 4L60.hpt - uses service number 12612384, 63lb IFR limit
    2009 Silverado 1GCEC29J59Z188589 E38 5.3 LY5 4L60.hpt - uses service number 12625455, 127lb IFR limit

Try to use the calibration from one service number in the other one and see what happens. I'll wait.

There are basically four E38s, and I don't think you can mix calibrations between any of them...
    12603892/12597121 2007 only, 63lb
    12612384 08-09, 63lb
    12625455 09-10, 127lb
    12633238 10-up, 127lb

Tuner in Training
    Try to use the calibration from one service number in the other one and see what happens. I'll wait.

There are basically four E38s, and I don't think you can mix calibrations between any of them...
    12603892/12597121 2007 only, 63lb
    12612384 08-09, 63lb
    12625455 09-10, 127lb
    12633238 10-up, 127lb

thanks for a quick reply!
    Will try tomorrow (i am in Europe and its past midnight here )

here are the software and cal numbers as now
    E38 ECM:
    main os: 12617631
    system:12617847
    fuel system: 12617839
    speedo: 12617868
    eng. diag: 12651572
    engine operation: 1261566

T43 TCM
    Trans:24252111
    diag: 24249373
    system.24249374

as written before, i am not so familiar with the GM world of engine data, therefore written all.
    Mopar stuff is a bit different
    Last edited by skjeep; 10-25-2021 at 05:43 PM.

I need your tune file, because it has your VIN in it. From your VIN I can see what Service Number ECM it calls for. From the Service Number I can find compatible calibrations that won't turn the ECM into a doorstop.

Tuner in Training
    I need your tune file, because it has your VIN in it. From your VIN I can see what Service Number ECM it calls for. From the Service Number I can find compatible calibrations that won't turn the ECM into a doorstop.
    shot you a PM with a file

Thanks for help !

For future reference...

screenshot.17-10-2021 13.31.17.png

OK!

1GCHK29KX8E129200 is a 2008 Silverado 2500 6.0/6L80 4WD, with the NQG transfer case. Same 12612384 E38 as what your current file calls for - VERIFY this is correct, check the sticker.

X1 pin 2 is correct, pinout description given as '4WD Low Signal (4.8L/5.3L/6.0L/6.2L with NQG/NP2)'

MP 1222-, 1225-, 1226-NQG.png

Also, I would program the T43 using the same VIN while you're in there, just to make 100% sure you have a matching pair. Assuming you have a flashing tool that can use GM SPS/tis2web or whatever.

Tuner in Training
    Also, I would program the T43 using the same VIN while you're in there, just to make 100% sure you have a matching pair. Assuming you have a flashing tool that can use GM SPS/tis2web or whatever.
    GREAT!

Yes i have a pass thru programmer that can use TI2Web.
    If i do the programming, can i change the Vin then back to match the chassis number of the van? Matching vin is mandatory here and they do obd vin chcek on every technical inspection.
    I know how to change a VIn in the engine part, but i have not seen the vin change tab for the trans in the VCM editor.
    Can i use my calibrations (compare/copy/paste then ) or have to do everything from the beginning?

thank you.

I know the VIN isn't stored anywhere in the T42 TCM, it's only used to pull the correct calibration from SPS for programming. I assume it's not stored in the T43 either.

Yes, you should be able to copy all differences from the old file into the new one. They are different base OSes though, so there may be features/settings in one file that don't exist in the other, I haven't look at them side by side that closely to check.

And I don't know about VIN change after the fact - I have never done it, and don't know how/if that works changing between platforms like that. There are limitations on what it allows you to do but not sure exactly what they are.

Advanced Tuner
    T42s do store the VIN, HPT just doesn't (usually) care what it is. It's been a few years since I've tried to change a TCM VIN with HPTuners, so not sure it's possible or not. I do know you can do it with other tools and I've done it many times to ensure the ECM+TCM have matching VINs for swaps/special applications.

In this case, use Tis2web/SPS to get the modules programmed correctly, then see if HPTuners will let you change the VIN in the ECM. I don't know if that will break your licensing for this vehicle. Absolute worst case, get everything tuned properly, then change the VIN at the very end when you're done tuning/adjusting things.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    T42s do store the VIN, HPT just doesn't (usually) care what it is. It's been a few years since I've tried to change a TCM VIN with HPTuners, so not sure it's possible or not. I do know you can do it with other tools and I've done it many times to ensure the ECM+TCM have matching VINs for swaps/special applications.
    With HPT I found the VIN only in the ECM. Nothing in the TCM. If its not a secret, what tools do you use for that purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    In this case, use Tis2web/SPS to get the modules programmed correctly, then see if HPTuners will let you change the VIN in the ECM. I don't know if that will break your licensing for this vehicle. Absolute worst case, get everything tuned properly, then change the VIN at the very end when you're done tuning/adjusting things.
    Will do that but i think it will break the HPT licensing anyway. It is licensed for the present VIN so after a flash thru SPS (when it gets another VIN) IMHO i need to license it back = another 2 credits.
    I think the best way would be to do the correct programming thru TIS2Web, then change the VIN to the original and then do the rest with (allready licensed for the original VIN) HPT
    But to make it that way i need another tool to change the VIN (both VINs) back

In GM CanBus vehicles (2007+), all of the modules on the communications bus contain the vehicle VIN.

Whether or not tuning software displays a VIN, is a matter of how the particular tuning software is configured, and has nothing to do with how GM originally programmed each module.

In your specific project, after all of the modules are correctly programmed, you can change the VIN in the ECM and TCM (if this is necessary).

The easiest way is likely to find someone with an EFILive interface. Using their Scan Tool, you can change the VIN at no cost (i.e. does not require a tuning licence).

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post

The easiest way is likely to find someone with an EFILive interface. Using their Scan Tool, you can change the VIN at no cost (i.e. does not require a tuning licence).
    Nobody in my area i know of. This car is an unicorn here. I have bunch of other tools but mostly Mopar and Bosch diesel ecm
    The other way is an old school hex editing

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by skjeep View Post
    With HPT I found the VIN only in the ECM. Nothing in the TCM. If its not a secret, what tools do you use for that purpose?

Will do that but i think it will break the HPT licensing anyway. It is licensed for the present VIN so after a flash thru SPS (when it gets another VIN) IMHO i need to license it back = another 2 credits.
    I think the best way would be to do the correct programming thru TIS2Web, then change the VIN to the original and then do the rest with (allready licensed for the original VIN) HPT
    But to make it that way i need another tool to change the VIN (both VINs) back
    Not a secret, Shrek beat me to it and yes, HPT only displays VIN for ECM. Thanks for confirming you can't see your T42 VIN.

Yes changing the ECM VIN or OS will break HPTuners licensing model, unless you've unlocked the entire year/model of that particular vehicle. (E.g. I can flash unlimited 08 TBSS' because I've unlocked that vehicle/model/year, use the same OS', and can change the VIN to match what I need as long as it's another 08 TBSS VIN.)

Hate to say it, I think you're going to end up spending 2 more credits no matter what at this point. Best steps would be: Get ECM + T43 flashed with proper OS using compatible VIN, change VIN to match current vehicle's VIN, finally read out ECM+TCM with HPTuners and license this new file. You'll now have the correct VIN in the ECM and TCM, plus able to edit/flash your vehicle with HPTuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    In GM CanBus vehicles (2007+), all of the modules on the communications bus contain the vehicle VIN.

Whether or not tuning software displays a VIN, is a matter of how the particular tuning software is configured, and has nothing to do with how GM originally programmed each module.

In your specific project, after all of the modules are correctly programmed, you can change the VIN in the ECM and TCM (if this is necessary).

100% agree. I use EFILive to change the VIN of whatever module(s) I need after getting the modules prepared via multiple tools (SPS/HPTuners/EFILive).
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    thank you all for your support - its awesome!
    Just do not have access to EFILive now.

One more concern i have. the van has a VTSS/VATS system. If i change the VIN/OS i think i lock it out. Any idea?
    i think i just disable it in HPT before the SPS flash,just to be sure that i will start after that.
    But can it be securely enabled back after software/vin change? I d like to retain the system
    Last edited by skjeep; 10-30-2021 at 02:15 PM.