Thread: Looking for help with a 09 Silverado 5.3 transmission issue

Potential Tuner

Looking for help with a 09 Silverado 5.3 transmission issue

Hello. New to HP tuners here but I have scoured and researched trying to find a fix to my problem. Hoping what I think is true isnt true. I purchased a truck with a custom tune with a transmission that was just rebuilt. It slipped HORRIBLY at high RPMs but drove perfect under normal conditions. Even at half throttle it was great. I dont believe that my problem is in the transmission but again not sure. I had deleted all the adapts and performed a fast learn but will still bounce the limiter slipping on 1-2 and 2-3. I have attached the file if someone could take a look.

To me it's internal if it can't hold up at high rpm. That transmission tune looks pretty mild and even really close to stock all around on a quick look through.

Compare your file with a stock file from the tune repository. A 2009-2010 Silverado/Sierra tune file should be pretty much what you need to look at.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I put the transmission tune back as close to stock as I could. Didn?t know if disabling torque management might help it. Up for trying anything before I rebuild.

Tuner in Training
    Not much help on the tune, but my truck behaved very similarly when my trans was on the way out. Driving around town it was "normal" but any time I leaned on it, like passing on the interstate, it would slip 4th and 5th. Sent the trans to Circle D to be told that the 4-5-6 clutches were burned. The 3-5-R clutches weren't doing great either. I agree with 5FDP, sounds internal to me.

Tuner in Training JustinWhiteTuned's Avatar
    09 Silverado V9 Stock Tune Slight Spart Modifaction Trans Tune Complete Stock test.hpt

try this with those channels. and clear adapts as ill list in the next post, DO NOT DO FAST ADAPT

Trans adapt reset procedure

Idle the car.
    Connect the scanner. Not logging.

Click on Vcm controls (green power button)

Click the Transmission tab

Trans adapt reset
    Trans fast adapt reset
    Trans adapt preset

In that order. It won’t give you a tell tale that it worked but it did.

I always just done the trans adapt reset and then preset. Never clicked the fast adapt reset but maybe I never had to?

I do it key on engine off too, don't think that really matters though. I know it works when the first few shifts are kinda wonky as it's doing it's thing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I always just done the trans adapt reset and then preset. Never clicked the fast adapt reset but maybe I never had to?

I do it key on engine off too, don't think that really matters though. I know it works when the first few shifts are kinda wonky as it's doing it's thing.
    Some OS the Fast Adapt works, but ive seen more bad than good and no actual need for it as i want to see the flares or issues and adjust them out instead of using up adaptation to cure it.