Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After "HP OS modifications" applied car starts for a second then shuts off.

Tuner in Training

After "HP OS modifications" applied car starts for a second then shuts off.

Like the title says. No issues otherwise. I can't get a few codes to not set with out the mods installed I think. Seems to act more like a security feature keeping the car from running. No codes in any module, scanned with snapon solus edge. If I flash in a rom previous to applying the mods car start and runs with no issues. But codes for cat and intake runners set as they are removed from car.

Thanks, Brian.

I have had nothing but problems and zero support from HPT with subaru. Same issue on a 2012 and 2011 STI. Even had the 11 flashed back to stock at the dealer and the OS build changed so wanted more credits even though the VIN number stayed the same. Again no support. The 2011 car scrambled my torque tables and timing when I flashed so I returned it back to stock at the dealer which caused HP Tuners to want to meto buy 4 more credits again. I have emailed and no reply. I'll use HPT for my other vehicles and open source for subaru for now.
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS View Post
    I have had nothing but problems and zero support from HPT with subaru. Same issue on a 2012 and 2011 STI. Even had the 11 flashed back to stock at the dealer and the OS build changed so wanted more credits even though the VIN number stayed the same. Again no support. The 2011 car scrambled my torque tables and timing when I flashed so I returned it back to stock at the dealer which caused HP Tuners to want to meto buy 4 more credits again. I have emailed and no reply. I'll use HPT for my other vehicles and open source for subaru for now.
    What is your ticket number?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    What is your ticket number?
    I'd have to look Bill It's been awhile. I love HPT and use it daily on a few accounts we have setup. I'd be willing to give it another try on Subaru if I can find my ticket and get something worked out. Like I said I'm on my second ECU now in the same car 8 credits down the drain so I had to buy a tactrix cable andflash back to stock as it jumbled my smode torque tables on one and my timing tables on the other after a read. Once I flashed back with the tactrix open source to a stock file it told me I had to purchase new credits again. Let me look tonight and find the ticket number. Thanks for the reply!
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

Tuner in Training
    So apparently when applying any patch mods or custom features and writing the file it changes the tune strategy from MAF based to MAP based so in order for the car to run right (longer that 1 second) you will have to tune the VE and run it in speed density mode. Charlie at HP Support was a super big help when I sent him all of the info he needed.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyle_greenhill View Post
    So apparently when applying any patch mods or custom features and writing the file it changes the tune strategy from MAF based to MAP based so in order for the car to run right (longer that 1 second) you will have to tune the VE and run it in speed density mode. Charlie at HP Support was a super big help when I sent him all of the info he needed.
    Technically speaking it should NOT. As outlined in the Subaru HPT Custom features patch guide when you patch the file it SHOULD be set to MAF, we even advise to keep it set to this until you are comfortable with switching to speed density.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Jeff Evans does a great job of explaining the process of getting the speed density dialed in in his tuning course if you're curious. He has live videos as well as general walkthrough videos of how to approach it using our software. Live training video 3 covers speed density tuning

https://evansperformanceacademy.vhx....-subaru-course

Quote Originally Posted by evan.s@hptuners View Post
    Mind taking a peejosh suby hpt add.hptjosh suby.hptk at this? I've went through two ecus before buying a tactrix cable to fix the second. Now it wants me to relicense the ECU since it has a different stock os on it. I just read the file with HPT and the base timing tables are all skewed. Before on the original 12 STI ecu it just scrambled the torque modes when reading. Now on this ECU it distorted the base spark maps. Jeff Evans's courses are great for subaru I agree! I linked the original read and the hpt added file. I would like to submit a case to see if HPT can work with me on the original 8 credits also between the two ecu's.

Thanks!
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS View Post
    Mind taking a peejosh suby hpt add.hptjosh suby.hptk at this? I've went through two ecus before buying a tactrix cable to fix the second. Now it wants me to relicense the ECU since it has a different stock os on it. I just read the file with HPT and the base timing tables are all skewed. Before on the original 12 STI ecu it just scrambled the torque modes when reading. Now on this ECU it distorted the base spark maps. Jeff Evans's courses are great for subaru I agree! I linked the original read and the hpt added file. I would like to submit a case to see if HPT can work with me on the original 8 credits also between the two ecu's.

Thanks!
    I checked, it was a simple definition error with the wrong axis sizes causing it to skew. It's fixed now, next time you open your file it should reflect the changes. As for the credits, you'll have to email support as that's not something I personally can do.

Tuner in Training
    Evan,

could you please take a look at my support ticket I submitted today? Ticket#46648. In the ticket I had posted the following info " I uninstalled my cobb AP then flashed with hpt my original saved rom then it failed to flash several times stating invalid checksum and the car would not start." I then realized (after submitting the ticket) what was wrong with it was the rom had been opensource modded after all before the ap had been installed and that changed the checksum value so hpt didn't recognize it. I downloaded a stock AZ1G401V rom and opensource flashed it to the car. Once done, I read that with hpt, saved it, then flashed the hpt stock rom to the car. It didn't ask for more credits or anything. Now, here's where it gets tricky, I then patched the new hpt file with hpt custom features, saved as a new file, closed it, opened it, then flashed the patched file to the car. it fires and dies after a couple seconds. SD is set to maf only, but I suspect that the patch is trying to read Ve for some reason even though it's set to maf only. I will reflash the stock hpt file tomorrow morning and have the answer of "will it run" on an unpatched file then. If you could help me fix the patched file that would be awesome as I don't currently want SD, but would like the other features like flex to work. Please Help me out here! I have several cars to do and Im using myself as a test mule before I pull the trigger on using hpt for the others!

Sorry for such a long post, but it looks like you are actually willing to help fix issues after reading other posts you have helped on!

Thanks,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by lockner13 View Post
    Evan,

could you please take a look at my support ticket I submitted today? Ticket#46648. In the ticket I had posted the following info " I uninstalled my cobb AP then flashed with hpt my original saved rom then it failed to flash several times stating invalid checksum and the car would not start." I then realized (after submitting the ticket) what was wrong with it was the rom had been opensource modded after all before the ap had been installed and that changed the checksum value so hpt didn't recognize it. I downloaded a stock AZ1G401V rom and opensource flashed it to the car. Once done, I read that with hpt, saved it, then flashed the hpt stock rom to the car. It didn't ask for more credits or anything. Now, here's where it gets tricky, I then patched the new hpt file with hpt custom features, saved as a new file, closed it, opened it, then flashed the patched file to the car. it fires and dies after a couple seconds. SD is set to maf only, but I suspect that the patch is trying to read Ve for some reason even though it's set to maf only. I will reflash the stock hpt file tomorrow morning and have the answer of "will it run" on an unpatched file then. If you could help me fix the patched file that would be awesome as I don't currently want SD, but would like the other features like flex to work. Please Help me out here! I have several cars to do and Im using myself as a test mule before I pull the trigger on using hpt for the others!

Sorry for such a long post, but it looks like you are actually willing to help fix issues after reading other posts you have helped on!

Thanks,
    Ben
    I'll take a look at the ticket, that seems strange as AZ1G401V is the exact file I used to do all the initial testing on and made sure everything worked properly. We'll figure out what's going on

Tuner in Training
    I'll take a look at the ticket, that seems strange as AZ1G401V is the exact file I used to do all the initial testing on and made sure everything worked properly. We'll figure out what's going on
    Ok awesome!! Thank you so much! I specialize in Subaru repair and performance and tune alot of Cars via cobb and open source tuning and im really hoping I can add hpt to the list!

I did get the car running on hpt with the base file today, but it will not run with the same file with patches applied. I suspect it to be the sd part of it is trying to be active even though ive told it maf only.

Thanks,
    Ben

Tuner in Training
    Any luck on this yet?

Thanks,
    Ben

Tuner in Training
    The sd patch is what causes the car not to start. I just dont see why. No other changes betweent the base file and the patched file except the custom features patch. Also it says to only do a full reflash one time when applying the patch, but it seems thats the ONLY option for reflash as the drop down box im the write menu says full write or do not write. Am I missing something here?

The sd patch is what causes the car not to start. I just dont see why. No other changes betweent the base file and the patched file except the custom features patch. Also it says to only do a full reflash one time when applying the patch, but it seems thats the ONLY option for reflash as the drop down box im the write menu says full write or do not write. Am I missing something here?
    It's definitely not trying to use the SD tables, it's still in MAF mode. I believe the flex fuel tables are what is messing with it somehow, the OEM tables get overriden to the "Flex Fuel -> Low Ethanol Content" Tables. I.e. making a change to your cranking fuel tables, injector scalar, boost, or lambda/AFR tables will do nothing, you have to make the change in the low ethanol content tables. Try using those to fix your issue, if you don't want flex and it's still bothering you I can remove the feature and investigate further what's going on. This hasn't been an issue on the test vehicle, which like i said runs the exact same file as yours

It's definitely not trying to use the SD tables, it's still in MAF mode. I believe the flex fuel tables are what is messing with it somehow, the OEM tables get overriden to the "Flex Fuel -> Low Ethanol Content" Tables. I.e. making a change to your cranking fuel tables, injector scalar, boost, or lambda/AFR tables will do nothing, you have to make the change in the low ethanol content tables. Try using those to fix your issue, if you don't want flex and it's still bothering you I can remove the feature and investigate further what's going on. This hasn't been an issue on the test vehicle, which like i said runs the exact same file as yours
    This is something I need to document obviously, but I'm working my way back to where the OEM tables are used so I hadn't done it yet. Sorry about that confusion

Tuner in Training
    Is there any way that you could send me the test vehicles file so I could compare the two and maybe make it easier to figure this out? I need it to have the flex ability in the near future as I have all the flex parts, just not installed yet. Im trying to get the software to cooperate before the flex install and once good there id be ready to install and tune flex fuel. So disabling that wont really work for me.

Thanks,
    Ben

Tuner in Training
    This is something I need to document obviously, but I'm working my way back to where the OEM tables are used so I hadn't done it yet. Sorry about that confusion
    Got it running! Let me explain this for the others in this post!

SO everyone read the following quote from Evan.s@hptuners

"It's definitely not trying to use the SD tables, it's still in MAF mode. I believe the flex fuel tables are what is messing with it somehow, the OEM tables get overriden to the "Flex Fuel -> Low Ethanol Content" Tables. I.e. making a change to your cranking fuel tables, injector scalar, boost, or lambda/AFR tables will do nothing, you have to make the change in the low ethanol content tables. Try using those to fix your issue, if you don't want flex and it's still bothering you I can remove the feature and investigate further what's going on. This hasn't been an issue on the test vehicle, which like i said runs the exact same file as yours"

Now, with that being said about scalar and cranking ipw being overwritten, IN ORDER TO GET THE CAR TO START AND RUN DO THE FOLLOWING!

REGARDLESS of flex sensor and accompanying parts being installed, YOU MUST ENABLE FLEX FUEL in the map to get the car to start because as stated above, the oem maps have been overwritten and if flex is disabled, the car has NO injector scalar, cranking ipw, boost, or lambda/afr tables to reference and doesnt know how to go about things properly.

I do not currently have flex fuel parts installed on my car so I didnt see why I would need to enable the flex maps, but after reading the reply, I rrealized that it will have to be enabled for the ecu to even know how to run the car. Now, will this completely fix the issue for tuning the car while not actually using flex? That im not sure yet, but will report back.

Evan, Please let me know your thoughts here!

Thanks,
    Ben

Got it running! Let me explain this for the others in this post!

SO everyone read the following quote from Evan.s@hptuners

"It's definitely not trying to use the SD tables, it's still in MAF mode. I believe the flex fuel tables are what is messing with it somehow, the OEM tables get overriden to the "Flex Fuel -> Low Ethanol Content" Tables. I.e. making a change to your cranking fuel tables, injector scalar, boost, or lambda/AFR tables will do nothing, you have to make the change in the low ethanol content tables. Try using those to fix your issue, if you don't want flex and it's still bothering you I can remove the feature and investigate further what's going on. This hasn't been an issue on the test vehicle, which like i said runs the exact same file as yours"

Now, with that being said about scalar and cranking ipw being overwritten, IN ORDER TO GET THE CAR TO START AND RUN DO THE FOLLOWING!

REGARDLESS of flex sensor and accompanying parts being installed, YOU MUST ENABLE FLEX FUEL in the map to get the car to start because as stated above, the oem maps have been overwritten and if flex is disabled, the car has NO injector scalar, cranking ipw, boost, or lambda/afr tables to reference and doesnt know how to go about things properly.

I do not currently have flex fuel parts installed on my car so I didnt see why I would need to enable the flex maps, but after reading the reply, I rrealized that it will have to be enabled for the ecu to even know how to run the car. Now, will this completely fix the issue for tuning the car while not actually using flex? That im not sure yet, but will report back.

Evan, Please let me know your thoughts here!

Thanks,
    Ben
    I think you misunderstood, you can still leave the flex fuel mod switch as disabled, which won't enable flex fuel. In fact this is what you should do if you aren't running a flex kit or plan on using the mod. HOWEVER, if flex fuel is disabled, the Low Ethanol tables/scalar are the tables being referenced even when flex is disabled. I realize this is a bit confusing, which is why I'm migrating back to the OEM tables being used. For example, if you want to edit the cranking IPW, instead of editing Crank IPW 1-6 in Fuel -> General -> Startup, you would instead edit the Crank IPW 1-6 tables in Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Low Ethanol Content (Leaving Flex Mode still as "Disabled"). The logic remains the same, it's just the table gets moved to a different location in the software. Editing the original OEM tables with custom features applied will make no changes