Thread: New Motor and Transmission Combo

New Motor and Transmission Combo

Its been a while....
    I am going thru my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT L76 6.0L LS based engine again and plan on replacing the 6L80 transmission and Torque converter with professionally built unit and a stall speed converter of about 2600 rpm to let the engines cam idle without lurching.

My question is, after I install this combo.....What do I need to do to this Tune?

Do I just flash the trans with a stock tune to get it to a Tuner? or will this fry the new transmission?

I was comfortable enough tuning the motor as I was very conservative with adjustments and with the help of a guy here was able to get it to idle and drive pretty well......so I have an ok(Safe) tune on the motor with the current camshaft but don't really want to damage anything in the new setup.

Any help or direction would be appreciated Folks!!!

BTW.....The transmission is being replaced due to high mileage 120000+ and was acting up when downshifting from 3rd to 1st gear at WOT....

If the transmission rebuild also includes a new valve body which is the TCM as well, then it would need to be programmed with a GM tool to marry the PCM/TCM together again.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks for responding ......
    So our HP Software is not capable of doing that I take it?......Is this a dealer done thing ?

If the shop selling/building this transmission is unable to get this set up properly, you need to go somewhere else.

Senior Tuner
    There are 4 different part # TCMs used in 6L80/90s. 07, 08-09, 10-11, and 12+. Provided the shop installed a 08-09 TCM you should be able to flash your G8 TCM file in it with a write entire. At least I have done it several times with HP Tuners and more times than I can count with Tunercat. I have only ever seen 1 TCM new straight out of the AC Delco box that was what I would call blank with no segments in it. And Tunercat was able to flash that one. 99.99% of new out of the box have a calibration in them with 4 segments as I suspect most are refurbished even though they are sold as new. It's why there is a core charge when you buy one. HP Tuners will overwrite them with a write entire in my experience.

Thanks 2xLS1.
    I will make sue they build it with the appropriate year. I am installing the trans with the refreshed motor........

Any experience with the stall speed converter? Anything special about the tune for it?