Thread: Desired Airmass Initialization Switch

Desired Airmass Initialization Switch

Curious of a better description of what this switch actually does. I've seen it on and off on several different tunes from ford control pack to roush calibrations along with the air load value being set low to some set as high as 3.0 or more. I've thought that it used desired airmass as a average air flow calculation mixed with the MAF sensor. Where as without it being turned off was similar to the gm MAF only type of tune?

What I'm chasing is a sloppy load and calculated map signal as my car gets into higher boost and was curious if setting the desired airmass initialization to ON would help clean up the signal as in my thought was it blended the two air models to average the dynamic airflow? Aside from a maf screen which i'm leary to use i'd like to find a way to clean up the load and calculated map signals. Anybody got any tips
    2011 Mustang GT TT A6
    1998 Eclipse GSX Awd

Senior Tuner
    What you want fixed is under MAF calibration section, Desired airmass is from driver demand/ ECU limit torque values. The underlined names indicate a new section and group related tables. I believe enabled all none underlined named items listed under it are enabled, disabled they are all disabled.

What I think you are thinking of is:
    leave Cylair filter enabled, but disable anticipation. I say leave it on as well, its not a bad thing with a predictable signal, which the filter should give. This filter may not be reflected in the current scanner channel data. It may require a special channel selection or not be available at all, and it is just data the ECU gets not the OBDii. Kind of like we see a 86.68 lb/min limit, but the ECU does not. Just know it is there because you have it enabled.

In that case, you can also setup a custom math to help "average" the PID's over a set amount of time, and manually "filter" them for use in the scanner to make adjustments cleaner and more targeted. Similar to what the cylair fllter does for the ECU.

You can only do soo much to help in software, and some times the hardware just needs to be fixed or reconfigured.