Thread: 6.7L Low Boost Cackle

Tuner in Training

Question 6.7L Low Boost Cackle

I'm on the way to correcting some of the issues in the tuning I've found after downloading a custom tuned file from a reputable company. My truck is a 2013 with a 2019 turbo on it. The previous tuner created a tune to address the upgrade. After exploring different tables, I discovered he copied and pasted the wrong part of the Boost Control tables which limited the boost to 20-21psi. He grabbed the negative torque columns and just past them over to the 0+ columns in the 2013 file. I'm guessing the the negative torque values in the driver demand and other tables address the exhaust brake in the 2015+ models. I also saw a post from @JaegerWrenching from a few years back that had a more refined Lambda/Dynamic Lambda table. I put that into the tune as well. Between the two, it smoothed things out and the peak boost shot up to around 25-27psi. My current goal is fixing a condition off idle from a dead stop. This occurs before the turbo lights up and there is a horrible pinging sound for a second or two until there's boost. What's the best way to tune that out??? Using the Torque-to-fuel tables and lowering the fuel mass in the sub 1400RPM range at higher torque, revise driver demand tables in the same RPM range to limit torque at higher throttle positions, adjust timing or is there a combination of things?? It only seems to be a problem in the 50-100% throttle position from a dead stop.

Can you grab a video of the low boost crackle? A video would help a lot. Perhaps post it on youtube so we don't have any viewing problems? Also send a file so we can look at it and see what's wrong.

Tuner in Training
    Toad

Thanks for the response. I think I figured out the issue over the weekend. It was a combination of replacing all the Turbo Boost Control Tables with values from a 2019 which are similar to the 2015-2016 models (I reformatted the torque axes to integrate the exhaust brake vane control below zero torque). I also reduced the main injection timing and driver demand torque request values down low(< 1400rpm) to more stock values at higher throttle positions (and the negative torque request for the brake function). I think I have it 90% eliminated. The power is smooth and the turbo spools in about half the time down low and off idle (~1 sec vs around 2 seconds). I'm getting a P061A code that I think is related to my negative torque values in some of the boost control and dd tables. I'm going to explore that more and maybe remove them and approach it a different way in the positive torque areas.

The attached pics show the before and after changes.
    Before Timing
    Main Injection TIming Before.png

After Timing
    Main Injection TIming After.png

Before DD
    Driver Demain HRHS Pedal Before.png

After DD
    Driver Demain HRHS Pedal After.png
    Last edited by jetskier; 11-08-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
    Toad

Thanks for the response. I think I figured out the issue over the weekend. It was a combination of replacing all the Turbo Boost Control Tables with values from a 2019 which are similar to the 2015-2016 models (I reformatted the torque axes to integrate the exhaust brake vane control below zero torque). I also reduced the main injection timing and driver demand torque request values down low(< 1400rpm) to more stock values at higher throttle positions (and the negative torque request for the brake function). I think I have it 90% eliminated. The power is smooth and the turbo spools in about half the time down low and off idle (~1 sec vs around 2 seconds). I'm getting a P061A code that I think is related to my negative torque values in some of the boost control and dd tables. I'm going to explore that more and maybe remove them and approach it a different way in the positive torque areas.

The attached pics show the before and after changes.
    Before Timing
    Main Injection TIming Before.png

After Timing
    Main Injection TIming After.png

Before DD
    Driver Demain HRHS Pedal Before.png

After DD
    Driver Demain HRHS Pedal After.png
    Now that you moved the lambda limiter you're "making more torque" and running into your torque curve limiter maps 11887 and 25998, this throws the p061a. Increase both of those tables, also change 25117 to 100% and 25116 set the entire table 100%

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Now that you moved the lambda limiter you're "making more torque" and running into your torque curve limiter maps 11887 and 25998, this throws the p061a. Increase both of those tables, also change 25117 to 100% and 25116 set the entire table 100%
    Yeah, I have the 11887 set to 1143 from 0 to 4000rpm. The 2013 definitions don't show the 25998 (atmospheric correction table). Same with the 25117 and 25116. They pop up in the 2015+ definitions. I'm assuming the only way to add them is to ask support or pay for the user defined parameters add-on?? Is it worth it??

Tuner in Training
    Update....I figured out the issue over the past year. It was too much timing from the tuner's files. I averaged the main timing table with the stock file and it no longer "pings" and it's quieter below 2000rpms. I still have the timing in the upper torque columns ramped up in the higher RPM range.

Do you have a video of it making that sound? What did your pilot look like?

Tuner in Training
    I didn't make a video at the time. The pilot is and was stock.