Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L31 ramjet intake lt4 hotcam t56 possible?

L31 ramjet intake lt4 hotcam t56 possible?

This is my setup atm . Running a 02 express van 0411. Started it up with a vats delete and idled like crap. New to tuning here. Can I make my t56 work with my setup on this type of pcm? I heard about segment swap but not sure exact details. I made my own harness from the 02 express van harness. Removed all wires transmission related and egr related ac etc. The ramjet intake I'm running has what I believe are 24 lb an hour injectors 17124187. I thought I could just change ifr to make it run a little better but did not work. Tried to find injector data for this with no luck, heard about the lt1s using these same injectors so I downloaded tunerpro and some lt1 files to retrieve injector data but data was different so I came to the conclusion that I will need to swap to some injectors that I can easily get data for. I picked up these common truck injectors 25317628 for cheap hoping I could use these. Any tips, tricks and suggestions welcome. Need someone to check my work .if im doing something wrong. Also wondering if im missing something as far as dissabling things in the ecm settings orimportant wires I might need that I may have left out. Thanks

If you are trying to accomplish this conversion (and tuning) using "freeware" like Tunerpro and an enthusiast created flashing tool - you will likely not succeed.

Conversions like yours have so many unique components, that require unique programming, that even some commercial tuning software may not contain all of the parameters necessary.

If you have HP Tuners, then post your tune to receive further assistance.

p01 0411 02 express van 3500

I'm using an ecm from an 02 express van 3500 P01. I'm running the stock tune. All I did to the tune was remove vats and some egr codes that's about it. I'm also getting the p1345 code for camshaft correlation. Are injector connectors cylinder specific? Here's my file, and I do have Hp tuners with 2 credits. Also not sure If I licensed the tune or ecm correctly as it still shows I have 2 credits on My devices page.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-06-2021 at 07:19 PM.

progress

So I went out to the car to log some data of it running and tested a few things. Made some progress. So the p1345 code didn't come back this time. At first I couldn't turn the dizzy cc far enough because of the ramjet intake. So I kinda made a custom dizzy cap to clear the ramjet fuel rails. Maybe I could have stabbed the dizzy in a tooth advance or retarded but oh well not sure. Got the cam offset down to around 4-5 area. So I'm pretty sure it's either flooding or too much fuel. So I have my fuel pump on a switch. I made an observation. I turned pump on and fired it up without cracking the throttle and didn't want to start. I proceed to crack throttle and comes to life idleing rough, I keep giving it throttle, I turned pump off, and as pressure went down It came to a point were it was running awesome and then died. I made a log file. Towards the end of the log is were it ran great when I turned my pump off. Not sure if the fpr on the ramjet rail is in good shape and holding pressure. Will be working on getting a adjustable fpr on there to monitor fp. I been reading on adjusting base airflow but first I need to get these injectors in there with correct data.

Advanced Tuner
    There is no reason this setup can't be dialed in with some serious transient tuning and eoit dialing. Get your injector data correct, your fuel pressure constant and correct before you even try to adjust anything else. I would definitely get that cam offset closer to 1degree. With my super Victor intake on my l31 I have clearance issues with my distributor & fuel rail. If you offset the distributor retarded one tooth the rotor phase seems to become and issue. This setup won't be an easy tune for a beginner but will be rewarding once dialed in.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This is my setup atm . Running a 02 express van 0411. Started it up with a vats delete and idled like crap. New to tuning here. Can I make my t56 work with my setup on this type of pcm? I heard about segment swap but not sure exact details. I made my own harness from the 02 express van harness. Removed all wires transmission related and egr related ac etc. The ramjet intake I'm running has what I believe are 24 lb an hour injectors 17124187. I thought I could just change ifr to make it run a little better but did not work. Tried to find injector data for this with no luck, heard about the lt1s using these same injectors so I downloaded tunerpro and some lt1 files to retrieve injector data but data was different so I came to the conclusion that I will need to swap to some injectors that I can easily get data for. I picked up these common truck injectors 25317628 for cheap hoping I could use these. Any tips, tricks and suggestions welcome. Need someone to check my work .if im doing something wrong. Also wondering if im missing something as far as dissabling things in the ecm settings orimportant wires I might need that I may have left out. Thanks
    I promise you even though the injector data is not right, it is not your issue. Something else is going on.

My P59 L31 file I have in my 383 Van with a 4L85E started life as a 2005 GMT800 5.7L 5spd Mexican truck.

More progress

So I made some more progress on my tune. Got the injector data for the 25317628 in there from an 01 silverado tune . I set the IFR at 22.2. Having an issue . So I made a log of a cold start up and it cranked nice and started up great. Ran it for however long and finally saw stft's registering. Got the cam offset down to -1. On the second startup and third startup It was acting funny when trying to start, as if it was binding, trying real hard to turn over and it would turn for a second and stop and then turn again a little and then fire up. I started wondering if maybe I adjusted my valves a little too tight or loose maybe and did a bit of research and read that it might be ignition timing maybe firing order related? Bad cam installation? Hope not. When I crank the engine over with key off it turns over smoothly. It didn't do it when cold starting in the first log. Second log I had maf connected. ALSO while trying to crank it kinda hissed and blew white smoke out of the throttle body. i believe it was gas but not sure. But it ran good on cold start up, not sure were to start tuning from here. Gonna do some more reading, any help, advice is appreciated .

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    So I made some more progress on my tune. Got the injector data for the 25317628 in there from an 01 silverado tune . I set the IFR at 22.2. Having an issue . So I made a log of a cold start up and it cranked nice and started up great. Ran it for however long and finally saw stft's registering. Got the cam offset down to -1. On the second startup and third startup It was acting funny when trying to start, as if it was binding, trying real hard to turn over and it would turn for a second and stop and then turn again a little and then fire up. I started wondering if maybe I adjusted my valves a little too tight or loose maybe and did a bit of research and read that it might be ignition timing maybe firing order related? Bad cam installation? Hope not. When I crank the engine over with key off it turns over smoothly. It didn't do it when cold starting in the first log. Second log I had maf connected. ALSO while trying to crank it kinda hissed and blew white smoke out of the throttle body. i believe it was gas but not sure. But it ran good on cold start up, not sure were to start tuning from here. Gonna do some more reading, any help, advice is appreciated .
    Double check your ignition system firing order. Also a weak battery or poor connections can cause the starter to crank weakly. The factory L31 tune does not have much cranking timing. About 4-8? depending on coolant temp. My startup timing is 12? across the board on my 11:1 383 and the factory vortec starter spins it right over.

Why do you have a current P0341? I'd fix that before looking for a problem in the tune file.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Why do you have a current P0341? I'd fix that before looking for a problem in the tune file.
    P0341? Were in the log did you see that? I don't remember seeing that code. Maybe I missed it. Oh I see it now in the second log. Damn. It didn't throw it in the 1st log damn. I read up on that code and says something about the magnetic field the cmp generates. Well I think maybe my custom distributor cap might be throwing off the magnetic field hence why the distributor cap's terminals are layed out to the side and not pointing straight up like a regular dizzy? Damn. Check out my custom dizzy cap to clear the fuel rails. I think that might be the issue or maybe my wiring.? Gonna do some troubleshooting. Tried to upload photo of custom dizzy cap but wont let me. All I did was remove plastic till I could ben the terminals slightly upward to clear fuel rails. Post 2 and 8. Ohh Just thought of something .... I forgot to put thermal paste on my icm maybe thats causing issue? I believe its tied in to that circuit also? Maybe hmm or maybe because I relocated my icm and coil. Haha or surely because my alternator is not charging and I was running off straight battery power? That would throw off the voltage forsure right?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-09-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Well I tried making some changes to the tune but was unsuccessful. Went back to my original tune where it does start and runs like shhh but still runs. Got my alternator charging now so that's good. I have a MAJOR issue . Even with the original tune It is very hard to start. I can see that it kinda locks up while attempting to crank. I can see my tensioner lose tention for split seconds When it tries to crank And the MAJOR issue is it backfires and coughs up white smoke WHILE ROTATING COUNTER CLOCKWISE wtf. What would make it rotate counter clockwise. I'm starting to worry I might damage the engine if I havent 'already done so. Man I should have never sold my holley sniper haha. I can see that when it tries to crank its like it hits a wall. I'm pretty certain it's flooding at startup . The white smoke reeks of gas. I need help. Heres a few more details. My fuel pump is on a switch. When I try to start, I flip the switch and then jump my starter. Should I wire my fp to the ecm? My fuel psi reads 43. Anybody need some extra cash care to lend a hand. I don't wan't to go back to carb. Heres my latest log when I got it to run. and a few more attempting to crank no start. One thing I haven't changed is the MAP. I'm running the one that came with my ramjet intake. part number 09359409
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-12-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like typicak crossfire within distributor cap or firing order issues. Jump the starter without fuel or the coil firing. If it cranks smoothly without ignition its a firing order issue. Simple as that.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

It does crank smoothly without ignition on. Just read up on the firing order and I swapped around injector control wires 2 and 3 and wires 4 and 7. Is this correct? I started it up on my updated tune but it wont start unless I give it throttle . Made a quick log. It does sound like it ran a lot smoother. Smelled kinda rich still and wont stay on without throttle. Not sure of my IFR. i have it at 22.1 at 43 psi . I'm assuming it needs more airflow.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-13-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Fouled out.

So i went back to basics and checked my compression and they all read 190-200 psi. Spark plugs were black as hell. Not sure whether my IFR is correct. Running 43 psi of fuel with this injector. 17127628. My oil reeks of gas. Scared I might have already caused damage. Need to get this ifr right. I have it at 22.1. Help a noob out . anybody know a great tuner I can order a tune from .?

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=li...27628+injector

Valid part numbers generally do not return zero results.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=li...27628+injector

Valid part numbers generally do not return zero results.
    Correct part number is 25317628. I used an ifr calculator and came up with 22lb hr but looking them up says they run at 21lb hr at 3 bar. I had 22.1 in my tune but will be changing it to 21.1lb hr. I swapped out injector control wires 2 and 3 and 4 and 7 is this correct? I read I have to adjust the injector banks so the fuel trims read correctly but not sure how. So many parameters to adjust it's overwhelming. Washing down my cylinders with raw fuel I 'm in the process of changing the oil and swapping spark plugs. Plugs are black as night. I want to be sure on the ifr.

You're using a L31 tune file with the harness pinned as it should be in the original L31 on a basic SBC? No weirdness like 4-7 swap camshaft? The Express van file should already have the bank order correct for the SBC - any non-LS SBC. Except if you've changed the firing order from 18436572.

You only need to change the bank order or injector numbering if you are mixing a LS tune with a non-LS engine (or vice versa).

You're using a L31 tune file with the harness pinned as it should be in the original L31 on a basic SBC? No weirdness like 4-7 swap camshaft? The Express van file should already have the bank order correct for the SBC - any non-LS SBC. Except if you've changed the firing order from 18436572.

You only need to change the bank order or injector numbering if you are mixing a LS tune with a non-LS engine (or vice versa).
    I had it pinned as it should but I was experiencing some hard starts/labored cranking and the damn crank spinning counterclockwise and coughing up white smoke and thought it was the firing order so I read this post talking about swapping those pins around but I'm thinking maybe the issue I was having may be due to my spark plugs being fouled out. Swap them back to their original locations is what your saying? I installed an lt4 hotcam.

LT4 Hotcam uses the plain standard SBC/L31 18436572 firing order and you should use the firing order and injector pinning that matches the L31 tune file/wiring diagrams.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes put the harness back as the original van harness. I'm convinced you are creating your own issues at this point. I would like to see some pictures of this distributor cap creation. What is this setup in.

Oleblu new tune 6 ve.hpt

20170108_161446.jpg

This is the intake manifold setup I have.

This tune file is for my l31 t56 c1500 very similar camshaft specs to the lt4 hotcam. compare your tune file with this one to see differences. this is a known well working tune file.
    Last edited by Oleblu; 11-14-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: adding tune file