Thread: Please review/critique my tune- 2011 Sierra 6.2 D1SC

Please review/critique my tune- 2011 Sierra 6.2 D1SC

I appreciate any and all advice and criticism. My first time tuning a boosted application. I'm finishing up the install of the D1SC on my 2011 Sierra in the next few days. .

Only mods are the tune I currently have in it, DSX E85 sensor, K&N CAI incorporated into the intercooler, pinned stock balancer, MBRP exhaust, and the pulley is 3.85" which should give me between 8-10 psi according to Procharger tech support. I already installed the GM 2.5bar MAP and have been running it NA getting airflow and fueling dialed in. WBO2 is AEM Uego OBDII, and I have a glowshift boost gauge.

I'm concerned about timing on clear as well as E85- too much or not enough. 91 clear is the best I have in my area.

Also concerned about PE ratio and where to fatten it up, if it's too fat or lean in areas.

Anything else you think I should address or change- I'm all ears.
    2011 Denali 62 Procharger Base.hpt
    Hawk

Keep it simple while tuning for fueling. Just pick an air fuel ratio for gas and for alcohol.

Figure 11.5 for gas and 12.3 to 12.5 for E85. Same for timing. Most LS engines you don't have to get super fancy with it. I don't see why you can't start at 14-15 degrees of timing on pump gas and then use the spark adder for alcohol to give you 3-5 degrees more depending on the content in the tank.

Those type of superchargers do take longer to reach full boost so once you have your fueling and timing stuff working good you could have the commanded EQ ratio be leaner until you reach a few pounds of boost and your timing could be higher before dropping down to your final number. Ideally a dyno would really help with all this. But if it makes great power, doesn't ping and stays alive then all should be good.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Keep it simple while tuning for fueling. Just pick an air fuel ratio for gas and for alcohol.

Figure 11.5 for gas and 12.3 to 12.5 for E85. Same for timing. Most LS engines you don't have to get super fancy with it. I don't see why you can't start at 14-15 degrees of timing on pump gas and then use the spark adder for alcohol to give you 3-5 degrees more depending on the content in the tank.

Those type of superchargers do take longer to reach full boost so once you have your fueling and timing stuff working good you could have the commanded EQ ratio be leaner until you reach a few pounds of boost and your timing could be higher before dropping down to your final number. Ideally a dyno would really help with all this. But if it makes great power, doesn't ping and stays alive then all should be good.
    Appreciate it! Not knowing what RPM it will begin building boost yet, should I start decreasing the timing from NA high load 3000rpm in what will be the boost region and have it basically flatlined through redline? Should I still pull 1 or 2* around 4800?

Appreciate the info on the AFR as well. I'll make some changes and post it up.

I would like to get it on a dyno but being an AWD truck really limits options- especially in Nebraska. I learned last Friday that GM's AWD system makes the truck a beached whale street ornament when you snap a CV shaft, so disconnecting the front axle is out.
    Hawk

Here's the latest. I applied all the recommended changes. I also set the PE Hot enable lower from 2500 rpm up. Not sure if it's too low for 2500 and 3k yet- I don't want to get into PE when the converter unlocks to climb a hill or just tooling around town.

I'll get my first scan tomorrow. Going to flash this now that the system is installed, the truck is running and has 2 new cv shafts.

Again, I appreciate your input and time!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hawk

Does the filter below make sense for use on the timing advance chart and determining not only when boost comes in, but how much?

(MAPkpa-Barometerkpa)>0
    ([50030.91]-[50032.91])>0

Seems to work on the chart/log.
    KPAvsTIMING.png
    Hawk

Advanced Tuner
    Boosted area is likely going to be >2,000 rpm and >.60 airmass for spark. You can lower timing across that area, blend the boundaries. Make the PE tables a relatively rich value across each table, worry about ramping PE fuel in/out after your fueling is correctly tuned. PE enable can be bumped to 75kpa. Pedal, maybe start at 2,000. If you have trouble staying out of PE on shifts like you mentioned then adjust as needed, just want to make sure it starts soon enough when you do want PE.

I've been cautiously tuning PE. Trying to get the fueling down up to 3500, then up to 4k, etc without running it too lean for too long. Ran it up to about 5200 today. I'm getting some KR under load, and the timing in the tune is not what's being commanded- much lower. I understand it being lean could be the cause of the KR, but the low timing is frustrating. Is there a TM or an airflow table I may have overlooked or need to touch up?

Also, my MAF signal looks like a saw blade. All the time. Cruising, WOT. I've never watched the cursor during or reviewing a log 'hunt' so much. Going to clean the MAF again and see if it helps. I do have an airflow straightener/honeycomb from SaxonPC that @5LiterEater had a thread and reported on- when I was NA airflow was steady and predictable.

It won't let me upload a log- I just found out there's a size limit. I'll take a shorter log tomorrow and post. I posted a screenie to at least see what I'm seeing until I get a shorter log.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hawk

Potential Tuner
    Hey bud,

I'm tuning an l9h now, TT but the tune file may help you a bit. Its by no means perfect but I'll include the tune and a log so you can take a look:

new MAF tune 4 long run still getting knock.hpl

MAF tune new 4.hpt

Appreciate it bud- I'll take a look when I get home. Forgot to grab my laptop before we left for all day cheer competition....

Side note- motor had piston slap at warm-up that went away at operating temp since new. Now it doesn't go away or get much better at operating temp so may be rebuilding here in a couple months. Threw a P0300 code the other night at 10psi. Sounds like a cold diesel all the time now.