Thread: tuning info

Potential Tuner

tuning info

hey, read through this forum section. looking for any info on learning how to tune b8 a4 pcm and even tcm. have tuning experience with gm p59 pcms (10 sec street truck) but its totally different than med17.1 stuff.

Potential Tuner
    heres my tune file. so with audi tuning is it more just letting the engine make more tq and less to do with tuning the actual VE like on the gm stuff with speed density? i see you play with AFR in PE tables looks like just riching it up a bit. other than that is its like allowing more desired tq and giving it more duty cycle on the waste gate... im just trying to under this more... also i want the car to stay quite is a catless down pipe worth buying if i keep the rest of the exhaust stock? i appreciate the help.

2012 a4.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jareeb View Post
    heres my tune file. so with audi tuning is it more just letting the engine make more tq and less to do with tuning the actual VE like on the gm stuff with speed density? i see you play with AFR in PE tables looks like just riching it up a bit. other than that is its like allowing more desired tq and giving it more duty cycle on the waste gate... im just trying to under this more... also i want the car to stay quite is a catless down pipe worth buying if i keep the rest of the exhaust stock? i appreciate the help.

2012 a4.hpt
    I'm not sure what answers you're looking for here but there are starter files, logs, and descriptions of most reasons for making most changes in this forum already from the others i have helped. No one is going to hold your hand through a 100 step process...

attached are my recent channel config and Layout, go get some logs and poke around the stock file to find where the limits are and start raising them.

2011-A4-2LT6MT-ReducedSAE.Channels.xml
    TylersB8.Layout.xml

Potential Tuner
    Not looking for my hand to be held, its easy to go find a YouTube video on gen3 gm tuning but no real guides out there for med17.1 Stuff yet...

Advanced Tuner
    Not looking for my hand to be held, its easy to go find a YouTube video on gen3 gm tuning but no real guides out there for med17.1 Stuff yet...
    Yes unfortunately there are no videos or quick reference guides so you will actually have to do some reading, studying and possibly some crying.

If you?re not up for this I would recommend paying someone to tune the vehicle

Potential Tuner
    I'm sure someday someone would make one. I'm sure I can figure it out, I can build a almost 5000 lbs truck to run 10s at 130mph I can make the daily a lil peppier haha

Potential Tuner
    did a log with your layout. thanks again for those. and is it normal to have spark knock stock? how does the rest look normal?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    The limiters can be a little tough-- there's so many of them and different calibrations have some maxed out and some actually use them for some purpose etc. For example generally speaking the Golf R/S3 tunes have many more 'layers' of limiters in place and the GTI/A3 has a lot of these limiter type tables maxed out. Different tuning teams I think, so you see different approaches (which is also kind of neat to look at / compare).

Anyways, to increase boost/power, it goes something like this.

- Torque Management -> Driver Request -> Max torque table is what the ECU requests at WOT
    - Torque Model -> General -> TTA converts requested torque to Airmass desired or set point. Spark efficiency comes into play depending on your ign timing, so you'll likely see higher airmass desired than you'd expect, based on the requested torque value alone.
    - Airmass desired goes thru the VE model to come to a MAP desired to hit said airmass target.
    - Airflow -> Pressure Control - TIP desired -- MAP desired gets converted to TIP desired. Generally nothing fancy here, but this table can act as a limiter too.
    - Now you have a basic TIP desired..however there's many other limiters that get calculated and the min airmass/min TIP desired is the TIP desired actual
    - Most common other limiter you see used is Airflow -> Turbocharger - Max PR, to set a max pressure ratio for boost.
    - Other limiters can come into play, such as turbo speed, charge air temp limits, etc.

You can generally go about tuning in 2 main ways that I've found
    - Torque target
    - Pressure/boost target

Torque target is kinda what you'd expect, put the 'torque' (keep in mind it's an internal ecu calc, not actual engine or wheel torque) in the request table and that's what the ECU will go for. Nice thing about this is that it will automatically try to compensate for high IATs, higher elevation etc to shoot for a target torque value.

Pressure/boost target, generally the idea is to set your torque request to some value that will result in MAP desired being a little higher than you'd ever want it to be, and generally set the torque request high and constant value to redline (even if you're tapering boost).

Then, use the TIP desired and/or Max pressure ratio tables to "bring down" that MAP desired request to what you want. This maybe is a little more 'simple' approach to things, but many of us like to deal with tuning this way, since we can directly measure MAP/boost and work it that way. Vs torque which is kind of a made up value anyways. There are other tables that you can have the ECU reduce torque target with high IAT etc., so there's ways to make it a little more 'advanced' technique.

And you can layer these approaches too-- that is what the stock tune does. Personally I do the latter- high torque request, bring in my desired boost vs TIP desired and max PR tables. I'm at 4300', so I generally just have it ride the max PR table and my TIP desired table is more of a 'max boost in any scenario' limiter.

Found this in another thread, gave me a better idea of tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    that is simos18 (mk7) specific, but the general ideas are very similar in MED17 I believe. I haven't messed with MED17 personally

Advanced Tuner
    Found this in another thread, gave me a better idea of tuning.
    Sadly it?s for Simos, not very applicable to MED17

Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    that is simos18 (mk7) specific, but the general ideas are very similar in MED17 I believe. I haven't messed with MED17 personally
    Most basic concepts transfer over but getting them to perform as intended is difficult as you already know haha

Potential Tuner
    Well damn, type up a little quick guide already

Well damn, type up a little quick guide already
    Or as Tyler said go read his previous posts here
    Last edited by bb-tt; 11-17-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Potential Tuner
    His posts just show what he's changing not much is explained but going through his logs and files is giving me a real good idea.