Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10r80 Torque Modulation Tables

Tuner

10r80 Torque Modulation Tables

Hey guys, I am a very beginner coyote tuner. My father has a 2020 gt that he is letting me test on to build experience and knowledge of how these cars work. So far I have run into quite a few roadblocks but lately, I am making some pretty nice progress. I finally have the spark doing exactly as commanded minus knock retard adding some more on top. The only issue that I am having now is when the car is shifting. I have been running the car on a friends dyno making one gear pulls to get power numbers and testing theories but now that I am satisfied with the way the engine side of the tune is working I decided to make a 2-5 pull and it pulls timing hard on the shifts. I have run this exact car at the track and it uses "Alt 2" torque mod tables but now that I am on the dyno it is using "Alt 1". My theories are having the wheel speed sensors go crazy is making it use those tables or the fact that the "dyno plug" is pulled.

My main question is when does the trans use each torque mod table (normal, alt 1, alt 2) just so I know I have the facts straight? Does the rest of the tune look good on the motor side? I know that just cause it works don't mean it can't work better. Any help is appreciated guys. And one last question is why would paddle shifting the car change the torque reduction spark? Thanks a lot.

Pull 3 is paddle-shifted and Pull 4 is left alone if I am remembering right, and the tune file attached is the last file flashed to the car. 2-5 pull 3.hpl 2-5 pull 4.hpl Write 22, 7.5k drag mode shift point.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Go to transmission-general-shift characteristics-shift character configuration.

This is how the character is determined.

LID = Live in drive. This is when in drive mode and paddle shifted.
    SST = select shift. This is in sport and paddle shifted.

Paddle shifting does change the shift torque reduction becaise each shift character, determined above, has its own torque modulation tables.

Tuner
    I just looked in those tables, looks like if I am in drag mode (to memory all of them were, but I know 3 and 4 were) then it should be using shift character 2 which I guess correlates to alt 2 torque modulation tables. If this is the case why would I be getting Alt 1 in my log? After messing with it for a while I know there is a lot that will override regardless lol so really trying to get this nailed down. Would the abs lights and dyno plug being pulled cause this? If so I can try a pull next week with the plug in and just advanced trac off.

Advanced Tuner
    I don’t think I follow what you are saying. Are you saying shift character 2 is commanded for drag mode “off”, “lid”, and “sst”? And in drag mode on the dyno it’s using alt1?

Maybe post a screen shot.
    Last edited by engineermike; 11-13-2021 at 06:08 PM.

Tuner
    Screenshot of tune and last log.

Shift Characer Log.PNG Shift Character Sheet.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    I see. I don’t know if this is true for all but check under engine-general-race mode. In some strategies it goes into race mode when you unplug the dyno plug, which triggers certain things to change. There is a ton of unseen logic going on that we can only try to figure out from trial and error. I recently discovered that if there is an imrc error then knock advance is disabled, for example.

Tuner
    I'm not sure I have the race mode stuff in my tune. This is a screenshot of the engine-> general sheet though. Maybe it's dyno mode in mine? I am just going to up alt 1 torque tables and see what it does to torque reduction spark, worse case it makes it shift hard lol. Also might try making a run with the dyno plug in. Thank you for helping me so far I really appreciate you taking the time to help me get the car right. I have been fighting it for a while and am tired of hitting brick walls.
    Engine-general.PNG

2019 calibrations will show DRIVE SPORT etc but 2018 will not - not sure this is something that ford did or 2018 OS is waiting for HPT update.

Advanced Tuner
    Be careful commanding less torque modulation in character 0 and 1. The shift times are longer so the clutches will generate more heat if more torque is applied. I believe the shift torque and shift time have to work together to ensure longevity.

Tuner
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Are you referring to something in the logs?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by zkonmando View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Are you referring to something in the logs?
    Who is this directed to?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Who is this directed to?
    Sorry didn't figure out how to do quotes when I posted that. It was directed at veeefour.

Be careful commanding less torque modulation in character 0 and 1. The shift times are longer so the clutches will generate more heat if more torque is applied. I believe the shift torque and shift time have to work together to ensure longevity.
    correct, modulation is only a part of shift, has to match ramp rate otherwise you will get a flare shift.

some time ago i thought 6r80 is complicated...until 10r poped up...

Quote Originally Posted by zkonmando View Post
    You can see which MODE is used in the scanner at the moment, for 2018 not so much only 1 or 2 etc, not named directly

Tuner
    What do y'all recommend changing to make sure everything in the tune goes together well? If y'all have any thread suggestions let me know and I will read through them and come back here with more questions.

Advanced Tuner
    There are way too many variables and aspects to discuss here. What in particular are you looking for?

Tuner
    There are way too many variables and aspects to discuss here. What in particular are you looking for?
    You mentioned having to have the shift times and a few other things correct in order to raise the torque modulation and have everything work properly after. What all needs to be changed to prevent a flare? And where would those changes be made?

Advanced Tuner
    I?ve gotten comfortable changing some stuff in the transmission tune, but I wouldn?t even try increasing shift torque above stock levels. Ford did a pretty good job creating the 3 shift characters for us, so I just use them pretty-much as-is, except I did reduce shift torque since I am supercharged.

Tuner
    I?ve gotten comfortable changing some stuff in the transmission tune, but I wouldn?t even try increasing shift torque above stock levels. Ford did a pretty good job creating the 3 shift characters for us, so I just use them pretty-much as-is, except I did reduce shift torque since I am supercharged.
    What do you mean by reducing shift torque? In the last part of the last sentence?

but look wut ford did in the drag mode...