Thread: Newbie in need of Help/direction with 2012 Camaro V6 trans tuning

Potential Tuner

Newbie in need of Help/direction with 2012 Camaro V6 trans tuning

Hi, this is my first post and also new to tuning. I have been currently looking around different post and forums to try to figure out more information about trying to get a more responsive feel by either lowering torque management and slightly firmer shifts for my 2012 V6 Camaro. I noticed that from post I have seen which are more for 6l50e or other A6 type trans vary on what can be adjusted, granted I know the transmissions aren't the same. I would like to learn and figure out how to do this and have a sense of knowledge or reasoning to my changes rather than screwing something up going in blindly. Does anyone have any guidance to a good starting point on what I should adjust or start off with. Or possibly are there any tune files for the same year model Camaro in which I can compare to and see what changes are made and figure out why.

Leave torque mngt alone and just adjust the actual shift time to get what you want.

It's probably labeled torque factor upshift normal under shift timing. You can quicken the shift times there, I wouldn't go too fast for part throttle and leave the higher torque times to around .3000s. You can also mildly up the upshift pressure for each gear under pattern X and raise the on-coming pressure presets in the adaptives tab for the upshifts.

Changes to pressure and on-coming presets does need you to reset the adapts in the VCM scanner after flashing and prior to starting the car. Flash the tune, open the scanner, start scanning, click the special functions thing and find the transmission section, should be called trans adapt preset and reset, click reset first and then preset. Start the car and go ahead and drive it, it may shift a little funky for the first few times through the gears.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the response. Also, would it be in the shift scheduling I assume, it may be easier if I upload the stock tune but here's a picture of what the options for the shift scheduling are, on other tutorials I have seen where it gives the option for pattern X, but it doesn't seem to be an option in this case rather than maybe it goes more by gear if I am understanding it correctly.

V6 trans.pngV6 trans.png

Post the tune.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Here is the Stock tune thats in the car, hopefully I uploaded it correctly.
    Last edited by TeamAnomalous; 11-15-2021 at 11:20 PM.

Switch to advanced view under the edit tab, it's in basic view and not showing you all tables.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you, now its showing everything else and i found the upshift for pattern X. Sorry for question after question, but what would be a general good amount increment to start increasing by, I'm not looking for anything crazy, just a better shifting response.

I'd try the shift time and on-coming changes first before adjusting the actual shift pressure just to see where it gets you. I do maybe 5-10% on the shift pressure if I do end changing them. It's a stock car and not making a ton of power.

Lots of other stuff is all about preference when it comes to the transmission. Like adjusting shift mph settings and torque converter settings. I personally think they upshift into 5th and 6th gear too soon, so I drag them out to around 45-50mph so it doesn't lug around in 6th gear at 35-40mph. I also turn off the torque converter for gears 1-4 to improve the life of the converter and because I only like it locking in 5th and 6th gear.

Potential Tuner
    Awesome, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for as a good starting point, Ill be sure to read up a bit more to also learn/understand what the advance features on the editor are first before I start changing things but when I do it wont be nothing crazy cause yeah the car is stock and doesn't make much power like you said. The other advice/tips you gave are definitely things I'm going to look into considering trying out to see how I can get the car to feel.