Thread: I like it, but it feels ...flat?

Tuner in Training

I like it, but it feels ...flat?

After 3 months of reading (all the way back to pg 255 in this group), research, and a boat load of trial and error I am almost at the end of what I can do with it I think. My wife actually "feels sorry for the lil car." She thinks I've "zapped" it way too many times. Kind of like how the Pine Hollow youtube guy "scans the crap out of it" she says.

Anyhow, I think I've done ok with the tune but It could use a little something I think. I see my cam angle still isn't getting to the 16-17* area I think it could be at WOT. I'm a little soft on where it should live especially on the lower rpm and closed IMRC. I've had the spark up to 31.5* but it really didn't seem to make much difference so I brought it back some. Maybe a little too much?

It feels a little flat to me still. I really like the transmission shifts. It's really smooth at lower loads and easy cruising but hits pretty hard in the mid to upper areas. Even get a little chirp at 2nd gear. It's pretty easy to get the tires smokey, especially if you hold it in 2nd. It just seems slow out of the hole and a little flat after 4k.

I have tuned using TunerPro in the past on imports and older GM stuff but we didn't have things like tuneable cam angles etc... Load tuning has it's advantages but it's a steep learning curve.

Just curious if I'm expecting too much or is there more there?

111321work.hpl MNS23474110821E.hpt

Sorry for the long log, it was on my way to work this morning.

Advanced Tuner
    Load with failed math could use some more love.
    Little more MAF tuning couldn't hurt
    Driver demand looks pretty good, but you have a bit of error at high load/low rpm.

Tuner in Training
    I found a bunch more "giddy up".

Been using 0-60 times as a somewhat realistic gauge to whether I'm going the right way or not. Tried what I thought was a goofy idea and it seems to have really worked. I dropped my 0-60 time by .8 seconds "ish". I've also been using the HP calculation using delivered tq vs RPM as an indication of better or worse as I haven't changed the tq model table and it is showing about an 18 HP gain up top. Again, just using these as an indication of better or worse not actual. Better than a but dyno anyway. It's shifting into the next gear quicker in a time reference, not RPM and it gets through the low to mid range RPM's alot faster too.

So I'll keep playing with it. Only thing is, it's getting cold here now so I only have a few days left to play with it. If anyone is interested in what I did I'll be happy to share.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Load with failed math could use some more love.
    Little more MAF tuning couldn't hurt
    Driver demand looks pretty good, but you have a bit of error at high load/low rpm.
    Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't noticed that. I'll see If I can get it closer.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mrogersmike View Post
    If anyone is interested in what I did I'll be happy to share.
    Of course, that is what this forum is for. Please post your findings.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    Of course, that is what this forum is for. Please post your findings.
    I added timing back in overall which I over did it a little and seen some knock I think. I log knock V and correction and saw positive correction. Strange to me how that works cause it really appears it move timing more advanced which seems to go the wrong way. I've seen negative correction as well. But the when the volts go over 5k I have to believe there's knock. Especially at 31-33*.

I have got it back set back down in the 28.5 - 30* range. It runs a little cooler due to the 160* thermostat too so I think maybe that's why I can get away with 30.

I think the biggest change came from the cam timing. Under the IMRC Open Load table I set it to 4* in the bottom two rows from lower RPM to mid range then ramped it up to 18* in the last 3 columns. I remembered to increase the limiting table too so my changes would take place.

I'm adding a couple degrees more for the ride home to see what happens. The Brenspeed cams appear to like the change so far.

Tuner in Training
    Just a little update.

The cam timing was about as good as it was going to be. Adding more didn't do any more, it actually got slower so I put it back.

As far as the spark timing, well my reasoning wasn't correct but the end result is. I went back and re-read the ooooollllllddd posts about spark correction. In any case I have to quit driving it for now due to weather so no more tuning for it for now. I did work on the ETC errors and the LWFM tables to help out. It runs as I expected it should now.

Winter is here and I won't be enjoying it for awhile so now I'm eyeing my F350 dually for better mileage and getting rid of that nasty throttle lag.

Just wanted to give a sincere thanks to all those who helped each other on this forum! It would have taken another 1000 "zaps" to the ole girl to figure out what's what and I might not ever knew why. All I had to do was spend time reading through 256 pages of posts.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh, I flashed mine over 300 times to get it where I'm happy with it. All futzing with idle and drivability. Yea, I'm picky.