Thread: 3.8 S/C with deleted MAP

Advanced Tuner

3.8 S/C with deleted MAP

I'm looking at a kit car for a guy that has a 3.8 S/C engine out of a 98 GTP.

He had some alternator over charging issues and let the smoke out of the PCM along with several other things.

He picked up a new PCM, had it flashed to a stock tune, runs like shit then called me.

Long story short, whoever built the car has deleted the MAP and BARO sensor.

I looked at the VE table and it's horrible. I compared it to a stock tune in the repository and it looks exactly the same. I'm guessing it uses the MAF only then?

Has anyone seen this before? Is this common place on these engines? I'm still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would do this.

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    When I say they deleted the MAP, there is literally no MAP sensor on the engine.

I have never seen a 3800 without a MAP sensor. There isn't a BARO sensor on the series 2 engines, they have one on the series 3 for 2004-2008's.

The 3800's are a MAF based system though, I've never tuned the VE table on one because everything is done through the MAF when it's running and the MAF isn't failed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize the earlier ones didn't have a BARO. Thanks for letting me know that.

I'm going to have him add the MAP sensor back, hell it's just 3 wires.