Thread: 2002 4.3 tuning

Tuner in Training

2002 4.3 tuning

So ive searched high n low for 4.3 posts and it seems to be a very rare subject. Hard to believe not many are tuning these. Tons of S10 guys out there. Look in the repository, and 1 file and its stock.
    Anyone got anything???

Tuner in Training
    bump. Someone has to have some experiance with 4.3...

Post the tune file you have. Been a long time since I've looked at one to see what is simple to change and perhaps make it drive better.

To be honest though, there isn't a lot to be gained power wise. More like just making it do what it already could sooner, crisper and making it shift better. But a lot of that is personal preference.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Right now its stock tune, not looking for a race car, just give it a bit more pep. Seen and heard of 25-30 hp and 30-40 lbs tq gains. Thats a nice improvement Id say..
    Swapping to the 0411 ECM this weekend if time allows, then I will drive it for a minute and get the file as long as all is good. One of the reasons Im doing this is I apparently need to add 4* of initial timing for the MSD Start/step I got for the Nitrous. Says it retards it 4* just installing it.... And of coarse gears/tire size/electric fans ect ect..
    Made a bad decision and paid to get VATs deleted,$365, then bought my own HP.... LOL. Wont be my last bad decision im promise
    Thank you sir

There won't be a 25-30hp gain or even more with torque. If there was that much left in it, they would have done it from the factory.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Im not saying youre wrong, but if that was the case why wouldnt the factory make the LS motors run better? Why does everyone boast about power gains after a tune on just about everything? When I had me 5.3 in my truck tuned it ran and pulled way better...Why is HP even in business?

You are literally the only one that has said I would get no gains. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by SICKMINDED RACING; 11-23-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Because it's true on older engines like that.

A tune alone is rarely going to just unlock 25-30hp and 35-40 ft/lbs of torque. It might pick up a little mid range power but up top it's not gaining that much.

Did you ever dyno your truck or just the seat of your pants? You can make a LS engine feel a hell of a lot smoother and respond way faster with a tune but it's still not adding a bunch of horsepower at the few clicks of the mouse.

Big OEM's like GM need to make things last and meet CAFE and emission requirements. That is why they don't just run it at ten tenths all the time to squeak out ever last bit of horsepower.

There is alot more to gain on the much newer engines with VVT and direct injection compared to an older spider injectors or port fuel injection engine with a super bland camshaft. Plus the engine is out of steam at 5000-5,500 on the stock cam, valve springs etc etc.

Tuner in Training
    I understand...

So as far as my truck i honestly dont remeber if it had been dyno tuned or not. At that time my partner was handing all that side of the shop, (but covid got his ass) I imagine he did have it dyno tuned. As far as numbers I have no idea, I just drove it and was impressed to the differance. Perhaps i was given bad info as far as the tuneablity of the 4.3. Info I got was the 0411 ECM will get you far more then the black box. Because its the same ecm as early LS motors...

Had a 4.3 built a few yrs back with cam, porting, valves, rockers, 10.1 compression. floated wrist pins, 43lb injectors, bla bla bla that was ran on a modified tune and it lived about 5000 unimpressive miles. (Mail order tune was a waste and a very expensive lesson)...Its getting redone now and that is what prompted me to jump into this and do the 0411 swap for better tuning because I was told thats what needs to be done by a few other tuners. Hind site, would have been less expensive and better results to just do an LS, but it is what it is...

SO, in your opinion, am I going to benefit doing the 0411? I know its a better OS, but is it going to get a better tune results, and will it support the mods on the built 4.3? Should we just leave a stock cam in it to make the ECM happy? The cam we used was a very conservative size..

I do appreciate your input, this is very new and frustrating to me. Gary was a wiz at this stuff... I fabricate, not tune.. LOL

The 0411 swap will make tuning it a whole lot better, there is just so much more you can do with that computer and have better control with.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    There won't be a 25-30hp gain or even more with torque. If there was that much left in it, they would have done it from the factory.
    There will be a gain of 50+ HP and 80 ft-lbs. on a stock motor. If it weren't for insurance rates and the EPA, then maybe.

Potential Tuner
    Glad to see a fellow mini-mouse lover! I've been tuning my 4.3 and found the same lack of communal info.

If a stock 4.3 made that much more power with a 411 swap then people wouldn't buy 5.3's lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 Blazer View Post
    There will be a gain of 50+ HP and 80 ft-lbs. on a stock motor. If it weren't for insurance rates and the EPA, then maybe.
    Ive never had a 50+HP gain from a 4.3 on the dyno. Maybe unless there was a knock sensor issue that got tuned out and it got the timing back.
    Ive turboed one before and it was pretty fun.. But definitely no 50+hp/80TQ gain with just a tune on stock 4.3 on 87 oct.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If a stock 4.3 made that much more power with a 411 swap then people wouldn't buy 5.3's lol.
    No ECM swap is required, the factory ECM is fully programable with HP Tuners.