Thread: 3.5L Ecoboost VVT startup Rattle.

Potential Tuner

3.5L Ecoboost VVT startup Rattle.

Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone has tried tuning the dreaded VVT startup death rattle out with this tuner? I have one of these rattling engines and I've been doing what a lot of us are until it's fixed. I put the gas pedal to the floor while starting to prime the VVT with oil then let off after about 3 seconds. Works every time. Just curious if that delay could be programmed with this tuner? According to Ford, the rattle causes no damage but I find that hard to believe. The parts to complete this fix are on backorder and difficult to get, not to mention about $4500 to have the dealership perform (out of warranty). Thank you very much.

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn’t recommend flooring it on cold start.

I believe the engine starts with the phasers deactivated anyway, commanding a mapped point when the phasers are neutral. Ford knew the phasers had no pressure on cold start so they are designed to be in the right place to begin with. Since the cause of the rattle (lack of pressure) means you also don’t have control, I doubt programming can change it.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I wouldn’t recommend flooring it on cold start.

I believe the engine starts with the phasers deactivated anyway, commanding a mapped point when the phasers are neutral. Ford knew the phasers had no pressure on cold start so they are designed to be in the right place to begin with. Since the cause of the rattle (lack of pressure) means you also don’t have control, I doubt programming can change it.
    I believe he is asking if you can program it to crank 3 seconds before starting so he doesn't have to floor it to keep it from starting.
    There is probably some parameter somewhere that would change that, but I doubt it's defined in HPT.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I wouldn?t recommend flooring it on cold start.

I believe the engine starts with the phasers deactivated anyway, commanding a mapped point when the phasers are neutral. Ford knew the phasers had no pressure on cold start so they are designed to be in the right place to begin with. Since the cause of the rattle (lack of pressure) means you also don?t have control, I doubt programming can change it.
    Why don't you recommend it? I 100% do, especially if one DOES NOT have the rattle. This will help build oil pressure and help the locking pin from beating itself up and wearing out the locking indent.

I will continue to do this as best practice if the truck sits longer than a day or two. I have zero rattle and my truck runs 7.6's in the 1/8th. 6.5 max tow, FX4 157 wheel base.

Advanced Tuner
    I don’t even know where to begin…

Advanced Tuner
    You can begin with why you don't recommend it and your reasoning instead of just saying you wouldn't recommend it.

If you hold the gas pedal down, then crank, it builds oil pressure...then you let go of the gas pedal after about 3-5 seconds and it starts.

Advanced Tuner
    "flood clear mode"

Advanced Tuner
    Yup, that's what its called.

Tuner in Training
    The cam phasers should be covered under warranty. I just had mine replaced and no more rattle. Mine is an early 2017.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks to all that replied. Yes, just a small delay to build oil pressure it what I'm looking for. I am no longer under warranty and the parts are difficult to gather right now. So is "Flood Clear Mode" where I look to perform this? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rboyer224 View Post
    Thanks to all that replied. Yes, just a small delay to build oil pressure it what I'm looking for. I am no longer under warranty and the parts are difficult to gather right now. So is "Flood Clear Mode" where I look to perform this? Thanks again.
    I switched to Amsoil and have not had any issues with phaser rattle. Cold flow is far superior to most of the other oils on the market, which is what you need to help get the oil to them as quick as possible.

Just my .02
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo8john View Post
    I switched to Amsoil and have not had any issues with phaser rattle. Cold flow is far superior to most of the other oils on the market, which is what you need to help get the oil to them as quick as possible.

Just my .02
    Yes sir. I also use Amsoil but still get the rattle after the truck sits overnight.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rboyer224 View Post
    Hello all. I'm wondering if anyone has tried tuning the dreaded VVT startup death rattle out with this tuner? I have one of these rattling engines and I've been doing what a lot of us are until it's fixed. I put the gas pedal to the floor while starting to prime the VVT with oil then let off after about 3 seconds. Works every time. Just curious if that delay could be programmed with this tuner? According to Ford, the rattle causes no damage but I find that hard to believe. The parts to complete this fix are on backorder and difficult to get, not to mention about $4500 to have the dealership perform (out of warranty). Thank you very much.
    Unplug the variable oil pump it will put the pump into high mode. The issue with the phasers is that they have too high of a bleed off condition, of the oil pressure that is supposed to be controlling them. So it fails to lock/unlock properly and beats up the pin hole its supposed to lock into. Once its making noise the damage is already done and will need the phaser replaced. The temporary fix was to unplug the variable oil pump until the calibration could be updated and or the phasers replaced, or both. Unplugging the variable pump should not cause a MIL and will decrease your fuel mileage about 1 maybe 2 MPG if that. Though if its already making noise, I'm not sure if it will help but it might. Worth a try