Thread: lly 5spd to 6spd conversion tuning

Potential Tuner

lly 5spd to 6spd conversion tuning

wondering if anyone has dabbled in tuning the trans to get that double overdrive that they have in the lbz?
    i know that duramax tuner has a kit but you have to buy their valvebody and tcm together for 2k. I run a transmission shop and don't see why we can't just tune the TCM for the added ratio?

Potential Tuner
    I am curious about this also

Potential Tuner
    I just got a 2005 Sierra 2500HD LLY and was wondering the same thing. Following.

Potential Tuner
    following I see the 5-6 speed parameters in lly tune. I wonder if we change the valve body with the extra solenoid and change the values it would work?

Tuner in Training
    I'm interested in finding out as well. I have a 2005 that already has the conversion kit and a working 6 speed tune, but I can't access the 6th gear tables in Efilive, so this is exciting. I'll post my read, and if someone wants to try it on a stock transmission and see what happens, that would be great. It does have a few tweaks for my specific truck, but it should work overall.

Len AL5 6spd Custom.hpt

Tuner in Training
    I confirmed today that the 2004 and newer Allisons had a G Solenoid, so in theory you shouldn't need to do any internal work, if I understand correctly.

Potential Tuner
    just wondering what came of this. if anyone has tried it and if it works

Potential Tuner
    I've installed the 6spd kit from Duramaxtuner.com. They are using a VB from 17-19 allison 24295617 and a preprogrammed replacement tcm 29537441. I bought HP to try to tweak some of the shift parameters but HP won't read the tcm. I like it but the 3rd shift above 60% TPS is harsh, like the shift happens on the ramp up from defuel.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, they lock their tcm, so you'll need to work through them for a tune revision. Or you can do what I did and get an unlocked tcm. I got mine from ecmcustoms.

Potential Tuner
    no extra wiring was required?