Thread: Fuel tuning without a wideband

Senior Tuner

Fuel tuning without a wideband

Has anyone here set PE to 1, ripped a bit of timing out and done some quick pulls to dial in WOT fuelling off the narrow band fuel trims?

Seems possible if you know what you're doing with timing and combustion chamber heat management.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Has anyone here set PE to 1, ripped a bit of timing out and done some quick pulls to dial in WOT fuelling off the narrow band fuel trims?

Seems possible if you know what you're doing with timing and combustion chamber heat management.
    how are you going to do that? During PE you are in OL and will only see a constant voltage from the NBs. There will be zero feedback from them. Just do it the safe way and buy a wideband

Senior Tuner
    Sorry, forgot to add, setting the PE enable conditions out of reach so you're still in closed loop for WOT.

Senior Tuner
    And yes I have a wideband and use it for tuning. Just wanted to hear from some outside of the box tuners.

If the commanded PE was 1.00 or stoich then it wouldn't give it the extra fuel it needs for wide open throttle scenarios.

Wouldn't you just be skewing the MAF/VE table to give you the extra fuel but then because it's in closed loop still the computer would be trying to pull all the fuel back out because it's not running around stoich.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 11-20-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting idea. Dont worry, have a permanently mounted wideband here, but curious.

You wouldn’t be skewing the maf/vve, as you would adjust it by fuel trims. Assuming good injector data, theoretically one could do just as hjtrbo said, and then turn back on PE and start putting spark back in.

Advanced Tuner
    You can try it, but i definitely wouldn't feel comfortable flooring my car with commanded fueling at stoic. If you have a wideband I'd definitely just use that

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSure View Post
    Interesting idea. Dont worry, have a permanently mounted wideband here, but curious.

You wouldn’t be skewing the maf/vve, as you would adjust it by fuel trims. Assuming good injector data, theoretically one could do just as hjtrbo said, and then turn back on PE and start putting spark back in.
    You got it.

I'm not experienced enough to try it either. Reckon someone here has done it, surely?

Even if PE = 1.00 it'll still change to OL - Accel at WOT. I guess you could try to kill it completely with the other enable parameters, but not for sure.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Even if PE = 1.00 it'll still change to OL - Accel at WOT. I guess you could try to kill it completely with the other enable parameters, but not for sure.
    I think he's wanting to completely disable PE so he stays in CL. Then try and calibrate the high load areas to 14.7....then turn PE back on once done. I've read about guys doing it but it not being too accurate.

Senior Tuner
    Not wanting to do it.

Was just curious about it as I read about and wanted to put it out there to see if anyone done it.

Read about it here when looking for info on my Ford Falcon.

http://www.efidynotuning.com/

I repeat, I have no intention of using the closed loop WOT method. Only curious...

Tuner
    (Flame suit on!!) In my personal experience, if done carefully one can decently to calibrate the MAF curve with CL using STFTs but only in certain types of vehicles/builds. It won't always work 100% accurately, and requires a good sense of the vehicle and the data being acquired (near steady state, slow pedal incremental loading and holding in the MAF frequency until you get clean data), and rinsing and repeating after a couple of drives. But like I said, in my personal experience with calibrating multiple vehicles it can be done for some if you have the right calibration strategy and are careful about the engine and the data. Pulling timing accordingly (4-7 degrees depending on the build) and raising PE enable to like 90% will help in acquiring the data for the upper parts of the MAF, and going incrementally helps as you're closer to stoich target. You'll have to use best judgement to fill the rest of the curve, but usually you can see the pattern of how much more fuel (or less) you need to scale the MAF. I've validated this afterwards with wideband+dyno and AFR targets are usually within 5%

Advanced Tuner
    Not condoning it, but interesting nonetheless. Another thing to consider is that some stock cals have horrid PE delays that I would consider unsafe as well. It would be best to leave burst knock fully intact, if not making it more aggressive, in addition to the timing reduction mentioned.