Thread: 2008 4.6 idle tuning help please

2008 4.6 idle tuning help please

Hey guys. I have tuned a handful of gen 3 and gen 4 and a few gen 5 GM cars and invested in courses from The Tuning School but as I set off in trying to tune a Ford I am having troubles on my first car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought I took a real softball for my first time out. The car is a 2008 Bullit. Fresh .010 over rebuild with a comp cams 127500 cam with the limiters and Steeda billet imrc delete plates. Otherwise the car is bone stock. I have the book with placards from The Tuning School for Ford mod motors and I follow the step by step process to a T for heads/cam. And everything seems alright but the car just doesn't want to catch an idle on decel. No matter what settings I change or play with.

Normally when I find myself in these places I would head over to the tune repository and find a tune file similar to what I am trying to achieve and compare it to mine but I can not do that here as there are nothing but 2 stock tune files in the repository. I need to figure this out. Does anybody have a tune file for a mod motor with the 127500 cam or any idea on what I might play with or change to help the motor catch an idle on decel? TIA
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-21-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Tuner in Training
    post your tune and log for the car
    explain more idle hang or stall ?

Advanced Tuner
    it sounds like its stalling

you need to decrease the dashpot decay rate

Although not all of this is the same for powerpc it is all relevant.
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/dashpot.htm
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

ready for maf 3.hpt last log still lean times.hpl

The course from The Tuning School has me playing with idle airflow in drive and P/N and their respective mult tables along with target idle speed and idle spark settings. Then dial in fueling by logging stft on the vcm scanner and making changes to the MAF.

I have gone through the 20 degree limiter setup and the imrc delete and they should all be correct. I do still have work to do I just can not get this car to catch an idle on decel for the life of me. it just drops to zero. No matter what i do to what table.

I will try to make some changes to dashpot decay and see where that gets me. Thank you for your help

anybody? changing the dashpot decay rate didn't change the stalling on decel.

Potential Tuner
    May be a dumb question, but is the PCM seeing a speed signal?

Advanced Tuner
    Check for vac leaks.

Advanced Tuner
    what is your PCM Strategy. if stalling you dont have enough dashpot, if its high idle for long periods it to much dashpot needs to be reduced.