Thread: what causes high STFT

Advanced Tuner

what causes high STFT

hey guys! newbie here. im hoping someone could take a look at my log and tune to see what is going on. this is a ls7 swapped into 68 camaro t56 trans. e38 ecm stage 2 cam with long tubes and msd intake. finally got the idle down to around 800ish and took it for a short trip. it idles ok. starts right up no matter if she's warm or cold. this tune was sent to me from a "tuner" so if you guys would take a minute to voice your opinion, id greatly appreciate it. maidenvoyage.hplcurrent baf10speedserialvss.hpt

Thanks!

Rob

There is a problem with the MAP sensor so I don't want to jump to other conclusion before that is fixed.

When the engine died out the MAP went to 119kpa, that is not correct. Also there are two different MAP sensor trouble codes in that logs.

Double check the part number on the MAP sensor you have and make sure that the data for that map sensor is correct in the tune file.

High fuel trims means it's lean, the o2 sensor are a dead give away because they are very low on the MV. Figure out the MAP stuff first though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks man. i checked the MAP sensor pn-19418808. i cant really find any other information on it other than ASM MAP. so im not sure what to put in the tune file. i do, however, have another MAP sensor readily available with pn-12644569 but the pinout is different. could i depin the connector and swap the pins around to see if it will work with the other MAP sensor? when i ordered my wiring harness from PSI they done a gen 4 delphi MAP sensor connector modification. Could that be the issue?

I think that is the earlier MAP sensor. You can try 94.43 and 10.34 for the linear and offset settings. If the key on engine off MAP kpa reading in the scanner is close to 100kpa, then that data is correct. This is assuming you live somewhat near sea level, the value will be around 85-90 if you live is someplace like Colorado.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    elevation is 1119ft above sea level. those numbers still good for that? ill give it a go and see what happens.
    Last edited by LS ROB; 11-22-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ok so i uploaded those numbers into the tune and checked with scanner. Kpa is 98 now. is the goal to arrive at the estimated 105 Kpa it is showing in the tune file?map adjustment linear-offset.hplmap adjustment linear offset.hpt
    Last edited by LS ROB; 11-22-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Seeing 98kpa sounds just fine now. Alot better than 119+ kpa like it was before. Clear all your current DTC's as well and see what comes back.

The log still shows that it's super lean.

What else is might not be factory on this engine? Do you know if it's running the stock fuel injectors?

What is your fuel pressure?

And I hope the exhaust is complete, like it's not just open headers with o2 sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    ok yeah.. that may be my issue then. i have open headers for now. i have a system on its way now since my neighbors called the police on me. the injectors are stock as well. ill list mods: fuel pressure is 60 at the regulator with single line ran to fuel rail. regulator is return style, fuel pump is 400lph walbro, nw 102 dbw throttle body, msd intake, stock coils, cam is texas speed stage 2 for ls7 234/246 .635"/.635" 115 lsa +3. knock sensors are stock as well. intake tube is pieced together with Spectre parts. i hope this helps and if im forgetting anything just ask as i built this car from ground up sheetmetal-paint-engine. but this tuning.... wheeew buddy! im thankful for folks like you! i appreciate you.

Advanced Tuner
    cleared the dtc's and then re-read them and what i have now are all set to permanent.

Advanced Tuner
    800 idletuning.hpt800 idle tuning.hpl attached is the new idle. its pretty smooth and returns back to idle good but i feel like the idle could be smoother. any suggestion on how to achieve that? Also, how do you adjust the afr at idle? i do not have a wideband as of yet. going solely off of what the log shows.

thanks!

It's a cammed engine, it will never truly be "smooth".

Adjust your overspeed and underspeed spark correction tables if you want a little less spark jumping. Like +/- 8 degrees instead of 13-15 degrees.

All fueling is controlled by the MAF and VVE tables. That log shows that fueling at idle is okay, fuel trims are not that bad at all.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the info brother. ive adjusted the over/under spark table so ill check how she does and report back. from what you can see in my tune file, does anything look out of place? like if ltft is disabled, is it going to hurt anything? i plan to drive this thing almost daily until i can no longer afford gas for it! i had this "startup" tune sent to me and im not exactly sure what needs to be enabled/disabled on a swap vehicle. and how tricky is the vve table tuning? im assuming if i tune that then id have to go back over the whole tune again? sorry for all the questions but im not familiar with all this gadgetry. my mind was blown the first time i set the idle without a screwdriver!