Thread: tune for the head or the cam or the block?

Advanced Tuner

tune for the head or the cam or the block?

i have a pre-eagle motor with eagle heads and a 220/230 cam and lg tube headers. what do i pay more attention to for the best tune, tune for and eagle heads, the cam or the block for pt,wot,therm and air flow?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

the cam, the short block doesn't care what heads are on it.

Advanced Tuner
    the heads dont come into play with spark? im trying to get the spark as best as i can.
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2gnx View Post
    the heads dont come into play with spark? im trying to get the spark as best as i can.

short answer no, long complicated answer slightly , depends on how high the compression ration changed with the smaller chambers. These G3s can run higher compression on pump fuel then an LS or a wedge head.

My 468ci G3 is running 12.5 to 1 (04 Ram)

468 table.png

My Daughters 5.7 which is running Eagle heads also with .050 head gasket to bring the compression down to 9.5ish to 1 (05 Ram)

5.7 05 bee.png

Both trucks are running local 93 Oct, as you can see they differ by only a few degrees

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the reply! the reason for the question, im getting a lot of kn retard with low kn voltage and was wondering if my spark table was way off because of the setup of a 06 block and eagle heads with a 220/230 cam. i read that timing is done by the heads(compression),and cam. from what ive gathered we are at 12:5:1 with factory head gaskets. as of now i pulled timing back to get rid of the kn retard. i had wot dissabled so i had not enrichment in those areas? so now i enabled wot but still getting kn retard with my enrichment set to .0112. i hope some of what i posted is understandable because people seem to not understand my posts and comments!

Tuning Addict
    You have to consider dynamic compression and quench areas in the combustion chambers when considering timing. Me personally, I just tune for everything and not bother with focusing on one or the other. It's going to take the timing it wants basically. From what I've seen stock hemis are waaayy detuned for junk fuel or whatever. I typically run more than stock timing with cams and heads. Boring and stroking is a little different due to quench areas and cylinder volumes