Thread: Looking for some Tuning setup advice for an LS3

Tuner in Training

Looking for some Tuning setup advice for an LS3

I've been doing a bunch of searching and reading and searching and reading trying to figure out what I need to get to tune my car. I'm working with a 2012 LS3 Corvette with an auto. So here's the plan I've got figured out so far. Please feel free to put your two cents in if I seem to be misunderstanding something.

Step 1: get an HP tuners 2+ module with 2 credits. This should allow me to read the mail order tune in my car and see what I've got going on. As well as do some tuning on the transmission.

Step 2: Install an AEM 03-0334 wideband using the CAN interface. I should be able to get the fuel dialed in with this. I would like to use the cheaper 03-0300, but it seems that the AEMcan interface does not work with the HP tuners. I would most likely hardwire the CAN into the wires behind the OBD port so I don't have to have the extension harness plugged into the port all the time. I can't seem to find a good picture of the OBD harness so I'm not sure if this is possible without cutting the thing up.

Step 3: Get a Dash Logic module to display things without the extra gauge. I can stick the gauge in the glove box as a backup when I have the HP tuner plugged into the OBD port. I guess the Dash Logic does not seem to play well with the AEM wideband Pid(0X24), so I would need to use the analog input into Dash Logic. I also need to install the pins into the AEM harness which are currently sold out at digikey, so I will need to come up with something for that. AEM sells just the harness which may work out well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...hoCWQkQAvD_BwE

Are there any other "gotchas" that I'm overlooking here. I'm trying to get this all planned out before I start buying parts. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

watch goat rope garage

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_vette View Post
    I've been doing a bunch of searching and reading and searching and reading trying to figure out what I need to get to tune my car. I'm working with a 2012 LS3 Corvette with an auto. So here's the plan I've got figured out so far. Please feel free to put your two cents in if I seem to be misunderstanding something.

Step 1: get an HP tuners 2+ module with 2 credits. This should allow me to read the mail order tune in my car and see what I've got going on. As well as do some tuning on the transmission.

Step 2: Install an AEM 03-0334 wideband using the CAN interface. I should be able to get the fuel dialed in with this. I would like to use the cheaper 03-0300, but it seems that the AEMcan interface does not work with the HP tuners. I would most likely hardwire the CAN into the wires behind the OBD port so I don't have to have the extension harness plugged into the port all the time. I can't seem to find a good picture of the OBD harness so I'm not sure if this is possible without cutting the thing up.

Step 3: Get a Dash Logic module to display things without the extra gauge. I can stick the gauge in the glove box as a backup when I have the HP tuner plugged into the OBD port. I guess the Dash Logic does not seem to play well with the AEM wideband Pid(0X24), so I would need to use the analog input into Dash Logic. I also need to install the pins into the AEM harness which are currently sold out at digikey, so I will need to come up with something for that. AEM sells just the harness which may work out well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...hoCWQkQAvD_BwE

Are there any other "gotchas" that I'm overlooking here. I'm trying to get this all planned out before I start buying parts. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
    Step 1 - ok

Step 2 - I am confused, I have actually two of the 03-0334's on my LS3. You can stack them, when the OBD moulding has a male and a female back to back so plug it on your OBD port and you still have the open port on the back of what you plugged on, so they are stackable.

Step 3 - you have the lambda reading on your 03-0334 already, I'm not sure why you want to feed the wideband's lambda value out on another gauge?

Note: I have a Banks iDash multifunction OBD gauge stacked after the two widebands on mine. I can read Boost/Vac, Left and Right Total Fuel Trims (ST+LT), Oil Pressure, Fuel pressure, %Ethanol, IAT, and ECT... not including the live lambda readings from the two 03-0334's (I have two...one to read each bank separately since the sensors are in the header collectors, as left and right banks are separated until the H-pipe joins them somewhat.)... so I have a tripple pod and all three gauges, Bank 1 lambda left, Idash center, Bank 2 lambda right.

Screenshot 2021-12-06 203723.png

HPTuners picks up both of my 03-0334's just fine, so I can do %err histograms between each bank's lambda reading and target AFR to dial in WOT fueling perfectly.
    Last edited by ngc1068; 12-06-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan M6 SBE LS3, Whipple 2.9L, 3.625 upper/stock lower pulleys for 9.5psi, TSP Stg 3 SC Cam, ID 1050x injectors, LS7 MAF, DSX Aux Pump, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor
    2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8, 6.1 HEMI, Edelbrock E-Force TVS-2300, 9psi