Thread: TCC Release Ramp Table

Tuner in Training

TCC Release Ramp Table

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at tuning my 2017 Silverado 1500 L83 engine w/ 6l80e trans and I see under the Trans>TorqueConverter>General tab there is TCC Pressure>Apply Ramp, but I do not see a Release Ramp. I don't like how quickly my truck is releasing pressure on the torque converter. Seems to be making for a lot of unnecessary slipping as I drive in hilly areas a lot. Is this something that can be adjusted or not?

Try zeroing out TCM 15235 - TCC Apply Pressure Ramp first. This should make it more true to the TCC Desired Slip tables. The attached screenshot is everything completely zeroed out and no slip (like an old school tranny - You will feel any driveline slop).

From my experience the TCM will just randomly unlock it when letting off the throttle to try and smooth out the driveline slop.

Regulator Offset will increase lockup pressure / speed.

I personally removed all TCC slip because that is the believed failure point of the 6L80e in our trucks, TCC shreds apart and all the shavings spread to the rest of the tranny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I personally removed all TCC slip because that is the believed failure point of the 6L80e in our trucks, TCC shreds apart and all the shavings spread to the rest of the tranny
    I totally agree with that. It makes sense, if the TCC is slipping, shavings are being made and will wreck other parts. That has been my experience as well. I was actually wondering if there was a way to disable the "adaptive" nature of the TCC and make it behave like the old trannys did, full lock or unlock.

I get the adaptive logic, why have excess pressure and stress on parts that don't need it. I'm sure lower pressures also favor fuel efficiency, but at the expense of wear on parts and long term damage. I for one don't think that's a good tradeoff.

Forgive me, but I am a little confused on what zeroing the ramp table does. I have set all of the desired slip tables to 0. So zeroing the ramp tables forces max TCC line pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by David-L View Post
    I totally agree with that. It makes sense, if the TCC is slipping, shavings are being made and will wreck other parts. That has been my experience as well. I was actually wondering if there was a way to disable the "adaptive" nature of the TCC and make it behave like the old trannys did, full lock or unlock.

I get the adaptive logic, why have excess pressure and stress on parts that don't need it. I'm sure lower pressures also favor fuel efficiency, but at the expense of wear on parts and long term damage. I for one don't think that's a good tradeoff.

Forgive me, but I am a little confused on what zeroing the ramp table does. I have set all of the desired slip tables to 0. So zeroing the ramp tables forces max TCC line pressure?
    From what I understand from my testing its how the TCM adjusts the pressure on the TCC to account for too much slip in either direction, even with every other table zeroed out it would still slip until I zeroed out this table. I believe the calculations in the TCM just always assume there will be error corrections to be made and its not actually measuring it.

Also as a tip, if you want to do shift point tuning BlueCat trans tool is amazing for this 6l80. Adapts will always be the reason for the 2-3 shift flare also, was only able to eliminate it with disabling adapts but that requires a lot of pressure tuning to smooth things out (defaults to max pressure and adapts smooth it out).