Thread: Idling lean after cam swap

Idling lean after cam swap

I have a 2010 camaro ss m6. Im idling lean at 14.9:1-15.8:1 after bald eagle cam swap with occasional spikes to 16.3:1. Tuned it myself but im fine tuning it now to run as close to perfect as i can. Im having concerns on weather i should be tinkering with my base idle airflow or tinkering with my vve table first. Not sure if this can be knocked out 2 birds 1 stone but im also having issues when returning to idle after pushing the clutch in at high revs. For clarification im at 5-6k rpm and push the clutch in, engine lowers to 500 then jumps to 1300 and keeps bouncing less and less till it finds my base idle rpm 700. I have logs but they dont include afr as i dont have a serial input for my aem guage. I will include all of these in a post when i get home after thanksgiving. Hoping someone either knows whats wrong off the top of their head or theyve had the same issue. Any help is welcome. Suggestions for connecting my aem guage to my laptop is also welcome as im quite desperate for that lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Z107 View Post
    I have a 2010 camaro ss m6. Im idling lean at 14.9:1-15.8:1 after bald eagle cam swap with occasional spikes to 16.3:1. Tuned it myself but im fine tuning it now to run as close to perfect as i can. Im having concerns on weather i should be tinkering with my base idle airflow or tinkering with my vve table first. Not sure if this can be knocked out 2 birds 1 stone but im also having issues when returning to idle after pushing the clutch in at high revs. For clarification im at 5-6k rpm and push the clutch in, engine lowers to 500 then jumps to 1300 and keeps bouncing less and less till it finds my base idle rpm 700. I have logs but they dont include afr as i dont have a serial input for my aem guage. I will include all of these in a post when i get home after thanksgiving. Hoping someone either knows whats wrong off the top of their head or theyve had the same issue. Any help is welcome. Suggestions for connecting my aem guage to my laptop is also welcome as im quite desperate for that lol.
    check you fuel trims at idle if you are running lean. Assuming your car is fully warmed up, if your engine is dropping to 500 then jumping up to 1300 you need more base running airlfow to slow that drop to your commanded idle. start increasing that table and see what it does. Also you should log "idle adapt spark" to see how much spark it's throwing at your idle to try and prevent that dip. post a log and tune would be beneficial as well

Tuner in Training
    How much overlap is in your new camshaft? If there?s a lot of overlap then know that you?re probably pulling some air in at idle during valve overlap and that?s affecting your O2 readings. Go off of what your spark plugs say and how it idles.

Tuner in Training
    You can also datalog your injector pulse width and if your pulse width is bigger at 800 RPM than it is at 1000 then you know that your O2 readings are wrong and you?ve added too much fuel to try and hit stoich