Thread: finally fixed 2-3 shift flare on 2017 2.0 ecoboost 6f35 trans

Tuner

finally fixed 2-3 shift flare on 2017 2.0 ecoboost 6f35 trans

I'll attach my tune, but beware its for e50, but if you want to copy the trans files it should work on any 6f35 i would think. disabling the shift engagement helped alot. You can try that first and see if that does the trick for ya. all shifts are under 6000 rpm. please let me know how it works for ya. I got hours upon hours of trial and error on this tranny2.0 ecoboost e50 rev 5 good 2-3 shift.hptScreenshot 6f35 trans.png

I should look and see what you did, but since I sold my 13 last week, I wont be tuning it anymore. The 6F55 is pretty much the same trans, just everything is bigger, but they never really did a very good job with it either. I have over a year in mine getting to where it is today, and how I like it. Nice thing is after you mess with them so much, you can just about tune them with your eyes closed, LOL

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
    I should look and see what you did, but since I sold my 13 last week, I wont be tuning it anymore. The 6F55 is pretty much the same trans, just everything is bigger, but they never really did a very good job with it either. I have over a year in mine getting to where it is today, and how I like it. Nice thing is after you mess with them so much, you can just about tune them with your eyes closed, LOL
    lol right! its an addiction, I go out in the country make run, make an adjustment and so on and so on.. it was disabling the engagement that finally made everything pretty much just right. "firm but not harsh" If i ever put the stock tune back in i might try disabling the "torque engagement only" but for now i'm not bored enough to try it. lol I know disabling all 3 made it shift super hard and fast! felt like it might break an axle!

I'd go along with it being addictive, the PCM in my car is having a mental breakdown as we speak, LOL. so at any rate, I disabled that cell, and really didn't notice much. I'd have to drive it more to get a better idea, one thing I think it doe's is fix the double bump when it shifts into 4th n higher

Tuner
    I'd go along with it being addictive, the PCM in my car is having a mental breakdown as we speak, LOL. so at any rate, I disabled that cell, and really didn't notice much. I'd have to drive it more to get a better idea, one thing I think it doe's is fix the double bump when it shifts into 4th n higher
    what car did ya try it on?

I have a 2017 Fusion Sport.

Tuner
    I have a 2017 Fusion Sport.
    does it "6f55" have a problem with 2-3 delayed shift/flare?

They're know for it, seems to be hit n miss like the 6F35. Mine wasn't bad when I got it, after a lot of experimenting with the trans I finally can say I have a solid Trans tune that performs very well.

Tuner in Training
    Hello,

May i ask you what is the "Torque Reduction Engagement" option? What changes when disabling it? How did you get specifically on it? (trial and error, or theory?)

I have a Fusion Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD 2013 with 6F35 trans which have a very annoying shift delay (shift lag) specifically from 2nd to 3rd on high engine load and when the trans is cold. Its not a flare, the trans does not slips during the 2-3 shift... it just "holds" the acceleration until the shift is completed.

I monitored the SHFT_LAG PID on this specific gear change scenario (2-3, mid/high engine load) and i see values up to 1800ms when the trans is cold (fluid between 25 and 50 celsius), while on other gear changes i see it between 500 and 800ms).

After the trans is warm (running for about 30 to 40 min, where the fluid reaches around 90 celsius), this lag reduces to around 900ms. On light engine load situation, independently if the trans is cold or warm, the shift lag measured by the PCM stays around 500ms.

I already replaced the whole valve body (solenoid body + main control) and it didnt change. So, I checked the control signals of solenoids SSA/B/C/D comparing both scenarions and observed that, on high-lag situation, the command of SSB/C (both turn off from 2nd to 3rd) occurs is a much slower ramp (around 2000ms to complete) compared to the low-lag situation where the command of SSB/C takes only 1000ms to go from ON to OFF (ramp).

I see two possibilities:

1) PCM software is crap

2) PCM may be receiving incorrect data from some sensor, which makes it to take the wrong decision about how to drive the solenoids on that situation.

Any hint is appreciated.

Regards,

Tuner
    yeah it was mostly trial and error, hours upon hours! now it seams to have came back. its not really shift flare like you said, because its not slipping. it just hangs on to long. try setting the shift schedule at 2300 rpm for 2-3 shift, it seams crazy but it seams to keep it from going past 6000 rpm at wot. I really hate this trans!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevekreger View Post
    yeah it was mostly trial and error, hours upon hours! now it seams to have came back. its not really shift flare like you said, because its not slipping. it just hangs on to long. try setting the shift schedule at 2300 rpm for 2-3 shift, it seams crazy but it seams to keep it from going past 6000 rpm at wot. I really hate this trans!
    Ok, it is really strange that it came back in your case. Does your 2-3 delay also disappears when the engine/trans is warmed up? (30 min aprox. until the trans fluid reaches 90 celsius).

What is really intriguing me in my case is that the overall shift performance is very good, specially after applying Lubegard Shudder Fix, in any condition, regardless of the engine/trans temperature and load. The only complaint is this bizarre and annoying delay (or lag/hesitation) on 2-3 specifically when enigne/trans is not warmed up and on mid/high engine load... and, after a 30-40 min ride, this defect is gone. What is most curious is that, during this time, the delay reduces progressively along the time. Its hard to think on a mechanical issue that could have such a "controlled/predictive" behaviour. This is why im thinking that the cause is on the software/electronic side.

Just to share, i found this video talking about "silent" problems on the Throttle Body that can cause "slow shift":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLBpkTjGZM&t=125s

But i think that, if this was the case, i should observe shift issues on other gears other than specifically 2-3.

Tuner
    mine does it hot also, thanks for the link i'll check it out

Quote Originally Posted by FelipeBZ View Post
    Hello,

May i ask you what is the "Torque Reduction Engagement" option? What changes when disabling it? How did you get specifically on it? (trial and error, or theory?)

I have a Fusion Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD 2013 with 6F35 trans which have a very annoying shift delay (shift lag) specifically from 2nd to 3rd on high engine load and when the trans is cold. Its not a flare, the trans does not slips during the 2-3 shift... it just "holds" the acceleration until the shift is completed.

I monitored the SHFT_LAG PID on this specific gear change scenario (2-3, mid/high engine load) and i see values up to 1800ms when the trans is cold (fluid between 25 and 50 celsius), while on other gear changes i see it between 500 and 800ms).

After the trans is warm (running for about 30 to 40 min, where the fluid reaches around 90 celsius), this lag reduces to around 900ms. On light engine load situation, independently if the trans is cold or warm, the shift lag measured by the PCM stays around 500ms.

I already replaced the whole valve body (solenoid body + main control) and it didnt change. So, I checked the control signals of solenoids SSA/B/C/D comparing both scenarions and observed that, on high-lag situation, the command of SSB/C (both turn off from 2nd to 3rd) occurs is a much slower ramp (around 2000ms to complete) compared to the low-lag situation where the command of SSB/C takes only 1000ms to go from ON to OFF (ramp).

I see two possibilities:

1) PCM software is crap

2) PCM may be receiving incorrect data from some sensor, which makes it to take the wrong decision about how to drive the solenoids on that situation.

Any hint is appreciated.

Regards,
    Did you use a factory valve body or use an aftermarket rebuilt one?

Both sonnex and transgo claim their kits fix the problem. I know the transgo kit goes to a larger pressure regulator and both kits replace the separator plate that they claim becomes worn.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    Did you use a factory valve body or use an aftermarket rebuilt one?

Both sonnex and transgo claim their kits fix the problem. I know the transgo kit goes to a larger pressure regulator and both kits replace the separator plate that they claim becomes worn.
    I put a factory/genuine brand new valve body (the two parts, solenoid body + main control). It was surprising and disappointing that the behavior didnt change after changing these parts, this is why i started to look into the software/control aspect (i already eliminated other variables like fluid flush, clear adaptive tables, update PCM software).

In my case, the lag is clearly coming from the way that the PCM is driving the solenoids B and C. When trans fluid is cold, the ramp on these solenoids when shifting from 2nd to 3rd is much slower compared to when the trans is hot. I will post a picture here showing this.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by FelipeBZ View Post
    I put a factory/genuine brand new valve body (the two parts, solenoid body + main control). It was surprising and disappointing that the behavior didnt change after changing these parts, this is why i started to look into the software/control aspect (i already eliminated other variables like fluid flush, clear adaptive tables, update PCM software).

In my case, the lag is clearly coming from the way that the PCM is driving the solenoids B and C. When trans fluid is cold, the ramp on these solenoids when shifting from 2nd to 3rd is much slower compared to when the trans is hot. I will post a picture here showing this.
    cool, thank you!

Tuner in Training
    Here is a picture showing the control signals of solenoids B and C when transmission fluid is cold (25?C) vs hot (90?C) captured with a simple OBD scanner on similar throttle and RPM cenario:

2-3 shift Cold vs Warm.png

See how the transition is much slower when cold, representing exactly what was observed on SHFT_LAG PID (around 2000ms when cold and 1000ms when hot).

Potential Tuner
    curious to know if you still use this trans tune and if your Transmission is still going strong?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKlown View Post
    curious to know if you still use this trans tune and if your Transmission is still going strong?
    i was still using it, until the pump in the transmission went out However the new trans didn't have problem with overshooting the shift point, so im thinking something was wrong with the original trans all along. I have heard other people say some are good, some are bad. If your having the same problem, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sen519465090 View Post
    Can this gearbox part be copied and applied to any 6f35? I have a 13 2.0t and want to try it
    i don't see why it couldn't. are you having a problem? None of the settings are anything extreme. If you don't like it, just switch it back.

Tuner in Training
    hello, have same hard cold shift 2-3 in focus 3 1.5 EB 6f35
    Does anyone have cuccess?