Thread: VW GTI 08 - Writing to a Tuner locked ECU?

Tuner in Training

VW GTI 08 - Writing to a Tuner locked ECU?

Hey guys,

Might be a simple question for ya'll. Coming from the Ford tuning world and was going to look at tuning my daughters 2008 VW GTI 2.0 Manual, Med 9.1 VAG. The car's ecu is not the original, scanned as a 2006 VW Jetta ECM but not a big deal because the car is running off it. Question is that the ECM appears to be tuner locked, so can I still write to the ECM without a stock file to reference? Normally when I write to my Fords, I pull a stock or as found file first and then tune from there. Being that this VW ECM is tuner locked, what will my tune be based off? Do I need to download another stock tune (none in repository)? I found an 08 Passat stock file on the forums, same Med 9.1 VAG but a different OS number, will that interfere with using it or do the OS not matter on VW's? Sorry for the ignorance, first time looking at the Euro cars. Thanks for any help!

Tuner in Training
    If I was to reflash the car's ECM with another vehicles stock tune, does this mess with the IMMO? Is it better to just get another ECM and start with that cars stock file? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Did you contact support about this to see if they can supply a stock file?

Tuner in Training
    I did not! Didn't realize that was something they could do, didn't see one in the tuner repository so thought I was out of luck. I will try that route and see if they can help. Thanks