Thread: Ford Raptor - clunky downshift tune?

Potential Tuner

Ford Raptor - clunky downshift tune?

Hi All,

I'm completely new to tuning but wanted to ask. I'm gathering info to see if a tune is what I need.

I have a stock 2019 Ford Raptor. It's perfect except for the clunky downshifting in normal or sport mode. When in normal mode, it clunks when downshifting from 5th to 4th and in sport mode it clunks from 4th to 3rd. These clunks are repeatable whenever I am normally slowing for a light or whatever. I've read on a few other forums of owners experiencing the same thing. Some are different gears but some are the same as mine. I took it to the dealer and they of course say there's no issue. The last time I took it in though, the tech reset the auto-learn feature and it's noticeably worse. So no help there...

I searched but didn't seem to find anything. Other than fixing the downshift clunks with a tune, I don't intend to use it for anything else so if it's not going to help the shifting than I won't get the tuner.

Hopefully someone here has a similar experience with a late model F-150 or even better, a 2nd gen Raptor

My question is: assuming my clunk issue isn't a mechanical failure, if I invest in the MPVI2+ and the appropriate tune for the transmission (I'm hoping there is a trans tune that others have resolved for this already) has anyone experienced a tune resolving the clunk issue?

Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by RaptorSlaptor; 11-28-2021 at 03:28 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Hi mate

Firstly I would suggest checking the transmission oil level is absolutely spot on when up to operating temperature.
    Second, you could increase the tyre circumference in the BCM (using FORScan) by 5-10%. Re-initialize the TCM, then clear the TCM adaptive tables. I've found this can improve the character of a 10R80 without going for a full tune.
    This is mainly worth trying as it will only cost you $50 for an OBD2 adapter that has medium speed Canbus capability. You can get a free 2 month trial of the extended licence for FORScan by signing up to their forum.

If you end up getting the MPVI2+, feel free to email me your tune file and I'll see what I can do to help ([email protected])

First place you could try playing around with could be the torque modulation tables for those specific downshifts.

The 10R80 in our Australian Rangers and Ranger Raptors can be a bit clunky. I specialize in tuning them here. We don't see many F150 Raptors but I have tuned the 10R80 in a local 500+ Whp F150 Raptor 3.5 EcoBoost.
    I'm tuning remotely these days and am keen to send a remote tuning device to North America eventually...

Good luck! Let us know how you get on

Cheers
    Last edited by CCCMitch; 12-09-2021 at 08:17 AM.