Thread: Cammed L83 relentless lean fuel trims log/tune attatched

Cammed L83 relentless lean fuel trims log/tune attatched

I've been dealing with this issue for a long while and sort of just lived with it for the past 8 months. Ive had the same bolt on set up prior to the cam/dod delete my fuel trims would match, trim out if tune adjustments were made (never pegged lean or lazy).

I do have 3 permanent code p0011 over advanced i was told this was due to the cam/phaser being locked. I have not had any others pop up related the engine/trans for this whole time.

The other 2 are p015b p015d o2 delayed response lean/rich I think, did not have these with my lt headers prior to the cam swap.

Throttle is only opening 75 precent a wot this have been a problem that started around the same time driver demand, vt, limits set 100%, replaced the throttle stayed the same.

Gone crazy logging and tuning for the better part of these 8 months very little seems to really make significant impact or work. Example if I adjust my Maf to the point which it starts to pull fuel trims are negative it runs like shit. VT,Soi Eoi, EQ, tuning the o2 sensors gone over everything multiple times. I know I've had this truck tuned well FOB prior to doing the cam like 13.2 in the 1/4 on the 35"s thru 3.42s.

I've pulled the engine and trans, had trans out again I smoked it had circle d rebuild and ship it back installed it my trucks been torn down for various other reasons this issue just persist. I have gone thru the entire ecm harness several times completely out of the truck cut it all open nothing yes all the grounds cleaned/checked. Replaced the o2, map sensors with genuine gm did I made my own o2 extension for bank 2 done three revisions no notable difference, done the exhaust manifold gaskets milled header flanges running v bands on all my other connections. never could find any vacuum leaks or possible sources of unmetered air, inspected intake manifold over 3 times replaced gaskets replaced all plugs and wires, did away with the evap emissions systems to cross it off the list. I did delete the vacuum pump two years ago opted to pull from the manifold never had an issue. I pulled the heads off to inspect the lifters-cam journals- my pushrods length, rockers (i did trunion upgrade during the cam swap, HPFP/ lifter/ lash cap everything's in good shape.

invested a lot into solving this I need help on finding a solution. Tunes pretty much a stock file of the engine side to make stuff less complicated at this point. Logs will be a base line then the results of some Maf adjustment with fuel trims reset to
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 11-29-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Heard the injector seal is possibility I never had issues with them being stuck in the heads I’ve inspected them and cleaned the injector tips and down the recesses in the cylinder head truck has 65k miles. Fuel pressures look adequate I haven’t changed fuel filter or confirm the plugs are gapped to spec I used delco plugs seen them bent before brand new right out of box doubt this will yield anything already replaced them didn’t see improvement.

Tuner in Training
    Are you resetting fuel trims after flashing new calibration?

Quote Originally Posted by SILV View Post
    Are you resetting fuel trims after flashing new calibration?
    Yes they would zero out and quickly go lean even after they’ve had substantial time to adapt 500 miles or more still lean it’s not as severe +2-5 range. I just live with it tuned the o2s no really change it could just be running long tubes and the sensors being further down stream.

Are you concerned about 2-5% LTFT? If thats all you’re getting then you’re totally fine. The trims are there to account for varying weather conditions / seasons. How do your O2 sensors switching look? Do you have a wideband installed?

Looking at your logs, it does not appear that your engine is coming up to full operating temp. Do you have a 160 stat? For any proper tuning you have to make sure that you're making fueling adjustments when at full operating temp and make sure to filter out any fuel adjustments that are below a set ECT.

Here is what I suggest:

1) Your STFT's do look fine, so I'd suggest that you just disable the LTFTs (Engine>Fuel>Oxygen Sensors>Long Term Fuel Trims Min ECT>491F
    2) A cammed vehicle will typically switch slowly at idle and likely will cause the slow switching codes to be thrown. Just disable it in tune.
    3) You need to disable the DOD and the codes due to your phaser lockout. (Engine>Fuel>Lean / Fuel Saving>DOD drop down>Disabled; Min VSS>318mph; Enable ECT>491F)
    4) Your throttle "Accel Pedal" is at 19.6%, this should be 0% or close that at idle. Not sure what the fix is for that, may want to ask here.
    5) Regarding your throttle only opening to 75%, thats gonna be in somewhere in the torques. Post up some driving and WOT logs so we can see whats happening.