Thread: Advice needed on idle AFR

Tuner in Training

Advice needed on idle AFR

Hey guys so I just got my turbo kit installed with some larger injectors. I went with TRE so obviously the data is non existent, I managed to piece together some data that worked ok when I was NA. I've now got the turbo on and wanted to start it up and let it idle to see if any leaks are present but it is running insanely lean between 16-18+. I have a short little log file attached maybe someone with more experience with this can help out. I Also attached my tune which is just mostly stock minus injector data that's been adjusted.

Having an understanding of this would be great but I mostly just need to richen up idle around 14.7 so I can drive it to a dyno and let the professionals dial it in. Any advice on what to adjust would be great, thank you in advance.

HelpPlease.hpl
    Modifiedtune2ss1le22222.hpt

Photo attached below, my exhaust isn't fully connected until I can get over to the exhaust shop. My wideband is basically like 4" from the open exhaust would this cause lean afr readings?

IMG_20211130_114319061.jpg
    Last edited by Sjd6795; 11-30-2021 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added photo

Advanced Tuner
    There is no "richening" the idle mixture. When the ECM is in closed loop, it self balances to ~14.7 based on feedback from the primary O2 sensor(s). If that actual AFR isn't 14.7 or near it, then your O2 sensor is bad, is positioned in the exhaust system where it can't properly read the mixture, and/or you have an exhaust leak.

Additionally, large diameter exhaust system can cause mixture at low exhaust flow conditions (e.g. idle) to read lean on a Wideband, and, yes, if your Wideband is that close to the open exhaust, it could cause it to read erroneously lean.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    There is no "richening" the idle mixture. When the ECM is in closed loop, it self balances to ~14.7 based on feedback from the primary O2 sensor(s). If that actual AFR isn't 14.7 or near it, then your O2 sensor is bad, is positioned in the exhaust system where it can't properly read the mixture, and/or you have an exhaust leak.

Additionally, large diameter exhaust system can cause mixture at low exhaust flow conditions (e.g. idle) to read lean on a Wideband, and, yes, if your Wideband is that close to the open exhaust, it could cause it to read erroneously lean.
    Appreciate the tips. I believe the majority of the issue is the exhaust not being finished. When I start cruising it stays around 14-15. I guess my makeshift data works pretty good for the injectors, idle was still showing -8% fuel trims but as long as the car can correct for it and under light load I don't want to mess with that I'll leave it for the tuner.

IMG_20211130_145012064.jpg
    Last edited by Sjd6795; 11-30-2021 at 11:14 PM.