Thread: How do I capture oil pressure/temp from Veepeak BLE?

Potential Tuner

How do I capture oil pressure/temp from Veepeak BLE?

I have a 2008 Corvette that displays oil pressure and temperature digitally on a screen, so I know the car's ECM captures these inputs. I am using TrackAddict app on iPhone to capture inputs from my Veepeak BLE OBD2 reader. When I click "setup" from the app's home screen, I can then click "select data channels/scan codes" to pull up a list of metrics that I can choose to capture. Oil pressure and oil temperature do not appear on this list. How do I monitor oil pressure/temperature inputs from Veepeak BLE?

Potential Tuner
    I have this exact same question. Does the VeePeak just not record oil pressure and temperature? Do I need a different ODBII reader to do this?

Potential Tuner
    It would seem that the base (cheaper) OBDII readers only read a generic set of parameters. Then your software could have programming to read more data points. Oil temp and pressure doesn't seem to be in the base set of parameters. It's not really in HP Tuners best interest to wright the software that will read this information from someone else's scanner. Looks like you will need to buy a scanner from HP Tuners. That will open up a whole world of options to tinker with the car.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm sure the OP is long gone by now but.......

There are standard parameters that are generic and universal across all obd2 cars (OK, I'm sure there's some exceptions). Then there are many vehicle specific parameters available. It's all part of the car's built in diagnostic functions. The engine control module, as well as other modules, support this.

Most times apps are made to provide wide compatibility across a bunch of obd2 dongles so only the generic/basic stuff is available. Some apps allow you to define your own custom vehicle specific parameters, but then you need to know the exact PID info, equation/scaling factor etc. For most that's not really a realistic option, advanced users only. In some cases, things like Oil temp, or brake pressure, or steering wheel angle might be on the car bus, but not directly available on the engine control module, which is even more work and most apps don't support it.

In the case of track Addict, it either supports generic OBD2 dongle with generic parameters only, or use MPVI2 (3?) and you can log virtually anything that you can with VCM scanner-- which for many vehicles is a lot of stuff. It can also take advantage of better/faster logging protocols so you can log more stuff at a better rate, etc.

I think that is the main appeal for most here. You already have MPVI2 and use VCM scanner or could use it. You just load up a log list from VCM scanner, hook it up to track addict and you're good to go for the track day or whatever.