Thread: Cold start troubles on e85

Tuner

Cold start troubles on e85

Need advice.

Have stock bottom LS3, mods in sig. Whipple is at about 10psi of boost. Car runs great. Its flex fuel sensor equipped and tuned. When I am able to get good e85 (Sunoco) and get E concentrations in the tank up >=70% it doesnt like to start on the first button push with the engine cold. Always fires off the second, and starts first try when engine is warm.

I tried adding 2deg of timing for rows at and below 68F in "Cranking Spark", logged and i see its at 13deg cranking instead of 11deg for the start.

Added 20% fuel in rows at/below 68F in "Cranking FA Mult Stage 1 vs Cranking Time".

Note its about 66degF outside based on IAT reading at cold crank.

Running NGK Iridium ID TR7IX plugs. LSA/LS7 valve covers w/stock GM LS7 coils. Whipple kit had recommended gap of 0.035, they are set currently at about 0.032.

Any advice where to go to improve cold start behavior would be appreciated!

Pulled plugs just to have a look, have about 10k miles on them. I'm a total novice at plugs, at my skill level i don't see any issues visually.
    Thanks!

LS3 plugs 12.4.21.jpg

base tune that fails to start on first attempt
    2016 chevy ss m6_6.2l_whipple 2.9l id1050x FF v1.hpt

revised tune containing added fuel and spark
    2016 chevy ss m6_6.2l_whipple 2.9l id1050x with added cranking fuel and spark for e85 attempt at.hpt

log file of start attempt with added fuel+spark
    added cold crank fuel and spark for E85- did NOT help 12.4.21.hpl

Many thanks in advance for input.
    Last edited by ngc1068; 12-04-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan M6 SBE LS3, Whipple 2.9L, 3.625 upper/stock lower pulleys for 9.5psi, TSP Stg 3 SC Cam, ID 1050x injectors, LS7 MAF, DSX Aux Pump, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor
    2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8, 6.1 HEMI, Edelbrock E-Force TVS-2300, 9psi

Senior Tuner
    Don't be scared to target 0.2 lambda on a cold start. 68degF should fire off at around 0.3 cold. Then taper it up to 0.9 lambda over the next 60 seconds. Then should be able to go closed loop after 60 seconds.
    I have 0.2 lambda for a cold start in an Aussie Falcon, fires first time everyone, so far tested down to 46degF, with 15degrees crank spark. Consider adding another 50% to the cranking rows.

Richen up your open loop alcohol table on the cold start temperature.

Potential Tuner
    I'm a Ford guy but wanted to offer a suggestion. When cold, e85 starts better when crank spark is closer to TDC 0 degrees. Increased timing builds more cylinder pressure only when fuel ignites. Allowing the piston to come to the top before spark, helps with igniting the fuel. I live in PA and before I figured this out I would almost kill my battery trying to start my car in 30 degree temps. I have no issues now. Hope this helps someone.
    2016 Mustang Gt
    Whipple Supercharger
    E85 19psi 900+ hp

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ericmse570 View Post
    I'm a Ford guy but wanted to offer a suggestion. When cold, e85 starts better when crank spark is closer to TDC 0 degrees. Increased timing builds more cylinder pressure only when fuel ignites. Allowing the piston to come to the top before spark, helps with igniting the fuel. I live in PA and before I figured this out I would almost kill my battery trying to start my car in 30 degree temps. I have no issues now. Hope this helps someone.
    2016 Mustang Gt
    Whipple Supercharger
    E85 19psi 900+ hp
    ive been using that strategy as well works good for the timing, also cranking fuel needs to be increased a fair bit just to get it to fire after that it can be close to stoich to keep heat in the chamber helps also, too rich durin warmup on ethanol just isnt needed

Quote Originally Posted by ericmse570 View Post
    2016 Mustang Gt
    Whipple Supercharger
    E85 19psi 900+ hp
    What were the main tables that you looked into.

Tuner in Training
    less spark advanve is a good start, as said above 0deg

I had to put a lot of fuel in while cranking when I did an e85 conversion. It took me a couple of times to get enough to where it started right up and stayed running. Way more enrichment than what I would have thought. This was on a Cruze and not a LS though.