Thread: The Rotax 1000cc V-twin calibration

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.

The Rotax 1000cc V-twin calibration

Im poking around thru the cal that was shared for the Maverick. All 4 variants of main spark tables are zero'd out. The Optimum (MBT) spark tables seem to be populated.
    Does this imply that the PCM is welcome to use anything between 0 and MBT pending on current airmass/torque request?
    Also looking at the VE table is a bit puzzling. It runs up to 200kpa (despite having a 1bar Tmap) and appears to have about half the VE at 100kpa one would expect from a high strung 4 valve. Almost like the old scaling' trick from running boost in years long past run in reverse.

We are pretty early in the discovery/unlock process so I figured a thread for each engine family may help the community as a whole.

I'll beat mine up (2015 Maverick 1000XRS) on the dyno a bit to help figure out wtf is going on in these pcms.
    Me love boost long time.

Tuner in Training
    Have you had any problems opening that file? For me it just goes "You're not authorized" on both stable and beta versions of the VCM editor. Is there any trick to opening it?

EDIT: Ah, disregard this. I found the info in the thread just below.
    Last edited by Xsen; 12-07-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post
    Im poking around thru the cal that was shared for the Maverick. All 4 variants of main spark tables are zero'd out. The Optimum (MBT) spark tables seem to be populated.
    Does this imply that the PCM is welcome to use anything between 0 and MBT pending on current airmass/torque request?
    Also looking at the VE table is a bit puzzling. It runs up to 200kpa (despite having a 1bar Tmap) and appears to have about half the VE at 100kpa one would expect from a high strung 4 valve. Almost like the old scaling' trick from running boost in years long past run in reverse.

We are pretty early in the discovery/unlock process so I figured a thread for each engine family may help the community as a whole.

I'll beat mine up (2015 Maverick 1000XRS) on the dyno a bit to help figure out wtf is going on in these pcms.
    Most likely hpt isn't looking in the right place for these.

Advanced Tuner
    ca am.hpl

Pulled a little warmup datalog with a few throttle blips to get my head wrapped around the igntion timing strategy.
    Seems fairly close to MBT when on throttle.
    when I get some more dyno approprate rear tires on there Im going to make a few pulls and see what it runs for lambda wide open.
    Minimum enrichment in the .cal is lambda =1 under the PE tables. Knock enrichment tables are closer to what we are used to for wide open.
    Me love boost long time.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post
    ca am.hpl

Pulled a little warmup datalog with a few throttle blips to get my head wrapped around the igntion timing strategy.
    Seems fairly close to MBT when on throttle.
    when I get some more dyno approprate rear tires on there Im going to make a few pulls and see what it runs for lambda wide open.
    Minimum enrichment in the .cal is lambda =1 under the PE tables. Knock enrichment tables are closer to what we are used to for wide open.
    After asking around, looks like those use the mbt table for spark, but for sure check first.

Advanced Tuner
    Using this config, you can see there is in fact a base timing table someplace when you view the log. I also created a math transform that has MBT minus spark after torque intervention (what I believe to be actual spark) called delta T to observe the difference between the two.BRP layout.Layout.xmlBRP layout.Layout.xml
    Me love boost long time.

Potential Tuner
    It looks like the base tables are here. They're populated for the Defender HD10.

Haltiming.jpg

Tuner in Training
    Could you please post that file here?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    It looks like the base tables are here. They're populated for the Defender HD10.

Haltiming.jpg
    They're populated for most models, and are used, but not this one (2014 Maverick)