Thread: Im new to HP Tuners...Have questions

Im new to HP Tuners...Have questions

I haven't bought a device yet, but I am trying to figure out if there is a tune in the repository for an E38 (2009 avalanche) with a high lift TSP truck cam and long tubes. Or something that would give me a functional starting point?

I realize that this is kinda like asking for free stuff...but I am in the middle of the engine work and decided to take the plunge instead of getting another mail order tune. But I have never worked with HP tuners before.

Maybe a better question...is there a guide (ECM specific??) somewhere that defines a list of variables or parameters that need to be changed when making certain upgrades?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-05-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Nothing in the repository, only stock tunes.

There are guides (tutorials) out there but the process takes lot of trial and error. Its easy to read a "How to" its much different actually doing it.
    I'm a 30+ year mechanic (primarily Diesel) and when I started tuning my 2011 Camaro MAF and VVE I got frustrated cause it seemed like I was chasing my tail. I was, I had to learn (discover) the "Rich after Flash". Once I did and learned how to work with it life was good (I found this out by lots of reading on here, actually stumbled across a thread)..

Not trying to be a downer, I highly encourage you to carry on.
    But if this is your daily driver and you don't have many hours to spend Tuning it you might be better off with a mail order starter Tune.

That being said there are many helpful people on here. If you post your tune and a log with specific issues you are having you will get excellent advise (direction) and you will be well on your way to dialing it in...

You really won't need ECM Specific guides
    I bought a great guide from ERM Performance (he has passed away, but another company bought the rights to the book)...
    Greg Banish has great material that I have used... https://cartrainingonline.com/
    I'm told HP Academy has some good stuff...

Here is an example of how people will help
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ight=BTR+Stage
    Last edited by dhoagland; 12-05-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added link
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer