Thread: SOTF How to and things i have learned

SOTF How to and things i have learned

Good morning all!

I have been wanting to do this for a while but haven't had the chance until now. I do not do a lot of write ups and forums posts so please don't hate.

Also if i get something wrong please let me know as I am not a professional! If you know of a better safer way of doing things please let me know also.
    I am NOT responsible for you tunes and the well being of your engine and trans, it works for me but it might not work for you!

SOTF tune - 6.0 SOTF_CodeMod_stock.hpt

This is the file to start out with. Please follow directions. It will ask you to save your current stock file and then apply the SOTF OS. WRITE ENTIRE ( I did not write my FICM) you will have to license it because it is a new OS. Once you write entire you now have the SOTF.

03-4.5 has 3 slots 05-07 have 5 slots.
    Steering wheel controls were used for the switching of slots.

Hold the Coast button for 3 seconds and then use the increase and decrease buttons for cruise control.
    Mine is an 03 XLT excursion. Mine does NOT have the upgraded stereo so i only have 5 buttons on my wheel.

From what I hear when you switch slots while the engine is off it is supposed to use the tachometer to tell you which slot your in ie: 0 rpm is OEM, 1000 rpm is slot 1, 2000 rpm is slot 2, 3000 rpm is slot 3 so on and so on.

Again from what I hear if your engine is running and you switch tunes it will use the glow plug light to tell you with blinks.. 1 Blink is slot 1, 2 blinks is slot 2 so on and so on.

I have not witnessed this so I had to remember which tune I was in.

In the beginning when I did my slots I did my tow tune first then my street and then a race. For me something just didn't feel right. I then went backwards I did my Race tune on slot 1 and then street then tow. The trans seemed to take the changes in power a little better. I'm assuming because i went from more power to less instead of less power to more, If that makes sense to you.

The SOTF OS is based on a NON-infrared tune. which means it doesn't technically use the EBP, I say technically because you still need to use the EBP tables to adjust boost levels. That took me a while to figure out. Speaking of EBP tables, there is one EBP table missing. It hasn't caused any problems with running or at least I haven't seen any.

ebp missing table.png

You'll notice the Low altitude EGR off slot 1 is missing.

Next big point is- Make for sure you try to accurately get for torque tables correct. This will insure your trans is happy during the changes from slot to slot. I had mine dialed in pretty well. It can and will shift just fine if you take the time and dial them in. It took me almost 3-4 months.

Lets dig in..

First thing is you need to "enable" the SOTF under general tab.

If you need to you can set different idle points for different slots.

Idle SOTF.png

This is a good way to tell which slot your in if you end up in my sinking boat where you have no clue which one your in by visual cue.

Inferred Map- I had 3 tables slot 1 slot 2 and slot 3.

Air pressure SOTF.png

Keep in mind slot 2 and slot 3 ( or 4 and 5 if you are 05-07) will look a little different than what your used to. They are smaller.. you CANNOT copy and paste from your old tunes over to this. It will be wrong, What I did to start was referenced the x and y axis on my old tunes and insert the number you have little by little. you can also put in your numbers at different points on the table and smooth in or hand smooth from the 3D graph, that is your call.

Pedal map: Same as the MAP you have 3 slots or 5. slot 2-5 are going to look different PAY ATTENTION you could make your pedal too sensitive.

Pedal Map SOTF.png

Slots 2-3 or 2-5 are a lot smaller and "less accurate"

Fuel flow at WOT and fuel for max torque are in the same manor slot 2-5 are smaller.

Main injection limits:

main injection limits SOTF.png

This is where you can limit your slots as to how much fuel/power you get vs boost, coolant and oil temp. Just like your OEM files. I dont used them YET but i will eventually start working them in once i get mine dialed in a little better. i dont want these causing confusion. ( this is just my way of doing things)

Ficm: NO SOTF here

Ficm SOTF.png

Timing: Here is where you make your changes in timing to SOTF. I compared the original stock file taken out of my truck to the SOTF base numbers... They were WAYYY off But that might just be the differences in the years of the PCM unsure on that but i got over that real quick.

Timing SOTF.png
    These Timing numbers are not what I run, this is an OLD file of mine that i was testing.

Torque model: This is what will make your trans happy! These tables are pretty self explanatory so use caution and common sense.

Torque model SOTF.png

Lastly when changing tables, Make sure you click the drop down menu and select oem + sotf. If you do not it will not work.. there are numerous drop downs like this throughout.
    Cropped for OEM SOTF.jpg

I will update as I see and find things that stand out to me. if you see something or need help please feel free to ask. This write up is just my findings and my experience.
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Potential Tuner
    Fallowing along , gonna try and tackle an 04 tomorrow to see what I can squeeze out of it.

Not much has happened with this sorry.

I kind of abandoned the SOTF due to a really weird idle.

I will be getting back to it eventually. Once my single tunes are done. (Which will probably be never) lol I will update as I find tips and tricks. Most of it is just trial and error and every vehicle is different.

Learned something cool tonight.. some may know but if your copying another of your tunes to the sotf maps which are smaller than normal. Do a copy with axis and then paste it and it will copy each value for each access and skip the ones that don’t need to be in there.

Makes the process quicker.
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

Potential Tuner
    Can you please tell me, what is the best year for 6.0 Powerstroke?

Banned
    they are all good years if they are built correctly. 2005-07 has a more reliable hpop.

Back at it again!!

One this i fought for a while on SOTF while copying my old tunes to the SOTF slots was in the fuel for max torque slot tables the numbers look a little weird.

75mg normal is actually 75,000,000 in the SOTF tables. IF you set it to just 75 it will have NO pedal input.
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift
    35" tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    Good morning all!

I have been wanting to do this for a while but haven't had the chance until now. I do not do a lot of write ups and forums posts so please don't hate.

Also if i get something wrong please let me know as I am not a professional! If you know of a better safer way of doing things please let me know also.
    I am NOT responsible for you tunes and the well being of your engine and trans, it works for me but it might not work for you!

SOTF tune - 6.0 SOTF_CodeMod_stock.hpt

This is the file to start out with. Please follow directions. It will ask you to save your current stock file and then apply the SOTF OS. WRITE ENTIRE ( I did not write my FICM) you will have to license it because it is a new OS. Once you write entire you now have the SOTF.

03-4.5 has 3 slots 05-07 have 5 slots.
    Steering wheel controls were used for the switching of slots.

Hold the Coast button for 3 seconds and then use the increase and decrease buttons for cruise control.
    Mine is an 03 XLT excursion. Mine does NOT have the upgraded stereo so i only have 5 buttons on my wheel.

From what I hear when you switch slots while the engine is off it is supposed to use the tachometer to tell you which slot your in ie: 0 rpm is OEM, 1000 rpm is slot 1, 2000 rpm is slot 2, 3000 rpm is slot 3 so on and so on.

Again from what I hear if your engine is running and you switch tunes it will use the glow plug light to tell you with blinks.. 1 Blink is slot 1, 2 blinks is slot 2 so on and so on.

I have not witnessed this so I had to remember which tune I was in.

In the beginning when I did my slots I did my tow tune first then my street and then a race. For me something just didn't feel right. I then went backwards I did my Race tune on slot 1 and then street then tow. The trans seemed to take the changes in power a little better. I'm assuming because i went from more power to less instead of less power to more, If that makes sense to you.

The SOTF OS is based on a NON-infrared tune. which means it doesn't technically use the EBP, I say technically because you still need to use the EBP tables to adjust boost levels. That took me a while to figure out. Speaking of EBP tables, there is one EBP table missing. It hasn't caused any problems with running or at least I haven't seen any.

ebp missing table.png

You'll notice the Low altitude EGR off slot 1 is missing.

Next big point is- Make for sure you try to accurately get for torque tables correct. This will insure your trans is happy during the changes from slot to slot. I had mine dialed in pretty well. It can and will shift just fine if you take the time and dial them in. It took me almost 3-4 months.

Lets dig in..

First thing is you need to "enable" the SOTF under general tab.

If you need to you can set different idle points for different slots.

Idle SOTF.png

This is a good way to tell which slot your in if you end up in my sinking boat where you have no clue which one your in by visual cue.

Inferred Map- I had 3 tables slot 1 slot 2 and slot 3.

Air pressure SOTF.png

Keep in mind slot 2 and slot 3 ( or 4 and 5 if you are 05-07) will look a little different than what your used to. They are smaller.. you CANNOT copy and paste from your old tunes over to this. It will be wrong, What I did to start was referenced the x and y axis on my old tunes and insert the number you have little by little. you can also put in your numbers at different points on the table and smooth in or hand smooth from the 3D graph, that is your call.

Pedal map: Same as the MAP you have 3 slots or 5. slot 2-5 are going to look different PAY ATTENTION you could make your pedal too sensitive.

Pedal Map SOTF.png

Slots 2-3 or 2-5 are a lot smaller and "less accurate"

Fuel flow at WOT and fuel for max torque are in the same manor slot 2-5 are smaller.

Main injection limits:

main injection limits SOTF.png

This is where you can limit your slots as to how much fuel/power you get vs boost, coolant and oil temp. Just like your OEM files. I dont used them YET but i will eventually start working them in once i get mine dialed in a little better. i dont want these causing confusion. ( this is just my way of doing things)

Ficm: NO SOTF here

Ficm SOTF.png

Timing: Here is where you make your changes in timing to SOTF. I compared the original stock file taken out of my truck to the SOTF base numbers... They were WAYYY off But that might just be the differences in the years of the PCM unsure on that but i got over that real quick.

Timing SOTF.png
    These Timing numbers are not what I run, this is an OLD file of mine that i was testing.

Torque model: This is what will make your trans happy! These tables are pretty self explanatory so use caution and common sense.

Torque model SOTF.png

Lastly when changing tables, Make sure you click the drop down menu and select oem + sotf. If you do not it will not work.. there are numerous drop downs like this throughout.
    Cropped for OEM SOTF.jpg

I will update as I see and find things that stand out to me. if you see something or need help please feel free to ask. This write up is just my findings and my experience.

Tuner in Training
    I do not have the option to convert my file in thr os tab?. I have licensed all three modules successfully. Had anyone ran into this?

Potential Tuner
    did the sotf tune on my 06 6.0. but the idle acts funny. idles high and not smooth at 1k for a few secs then comes back down to normal after any revs. any ideas why? tunes without having sotf idles normal

Post your file and one of us can try to help you out

Potential Tuner
    Hey I'm having problems with my excursion SOTF it looks like I only have 1 slot additional when I apply the patch. This is on 05 I thought it would be at least 3? Am I doing something wrong? Honestly its fine because I just want a Towing/Empty tune but trying to figure out why its only 1.
    Attached Files Attached Files

General tab should give you the option to increase the amount of slots you have.

Potential Tuner
    Nope just OEM +1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by roccomonte View Post
    Nope just OEM +1
    Well that is a little weird. i have never seen that. But i also thought all 05-07's had 512k ECM's. Yours has a 448k like the 03-04's do.
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    8" lift