Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for knowledge and feedback.

Tuner

Asking for knowledge and feedback.

First time posting. New to HP Tuners. First time trying to start and run a vehicle where the is a PCM in the mix. So be gentle but please give me any input you have. I'm not a tuner and don't plan to be a tuner. Mainly I'm just looking for some input and knowledge from people who know what they are doing tuning for my vehicle. The forum is great, I've already got alot of knowledge from just reading different posts. I do have a pretty good background working on vehicles so I'm not totally pendejo. Lol.. Let me tell you what my vehicle is. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 1500 4.3L V6 4L60E 2WD standard cab shortbox. Picked up a LQ4 trading some body and paint work. Rebuilt it and swap it in. Shit I think I got lucky just getting the truck to start and run. Let me tell you what I did "tune" wise. I read my truck PCM with HP Tuners. I was lucky and found a same year, same vehicle, and same OS tune. So I Segment swapped all the 6.0L engine stuff to my tune. I had some Flex Fuel Injectors (GM #12580426). I used the compare feature and copied in all the green boxes in the fuel tab from a 2006 Silverado Flex Fuel into the tune as well.. I've deleted the cats, rear O2's, VATS. The transmission felt like shit. So I went and found a stock tune compared and copied 5.3L 4L60E transmission parameters into my tune. I used the blue cat tool and added those shifting adjustments into the tune. And I did some 1 inch smaller tire shit that I read somewhere too. Just to see what's up.
    I've worked on vehicles my whole life Body, Paint, and Turning Wrenches. And to this point I think I've been real lucky not knowing shit and getting my truck to start and run. To a regular joe schmo the truck is probably good. But I know there's alot more if someone knows what to dial in to get there. Getting there for me is going fast, feeling horsepower, and smelling burnt tire! Lol!!!
    Engine is a fresh rebuild. All stock. I've bolted on a cold air intake, 1 7/8 long tubes, and 3 in true dual exhaust to the back. The 4L60E is already giving up behind this 6.0L so I'm gonna a do something different with that in time. Maybe a Cam and turbo in time. But for now that what's moving the truck. Manly I just want to post what I "boxed" together into a weak tune and get some feedback on what to change and dial in from people who have experience and know how to truly tune. Apologize for the long write up. Thanks to the forum and it's members for the information that has gotten me this far. If u got time take a peek at the tune and let me know what will make it faster. If I forgot something or u need additional info on the tune? Need me to log something while driving? Let me know and I'll make it happen. GRACIAS!
    Last edited by svl208; 12-06-2021 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Also would like to firm up transmission shifts. More response and snap from the gears.

Post up a log of it running with AFR error
    From a glance it looks like you are on the right track
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner
    Dhoagland, Sorry buddy. Very new to this. I know how to log and save the log. But what is AFR error?

If you have a log throw it up...
    I'll look at it and see what your are logging, you might have all the right channels to make an AFR error graph..
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner
    See if that works for u. If not? I can add what u need and go take a drive. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Okay

You should be able to save this, then open your scanner.
    In the channels, click on the folder icon, then open channel config, then find where you saved that attachment and select it..

If you do that it should load some darn good starting channels that you can get logging with

That config is a little old, all should work, but you might need to adjust to your specific OS

Tuner
    Right on! I'll get this put together and post it.

These graphs and charts configs should get you started too...

Tuner
    I'll check them out to. Which of the 3 do u want the log for you to review done on?

Quote Originally Posted by svl208 View Post
    I'll check them out to. Which of the 3 do u want the log for you to review done on?
    They will all work togather

For now the most important is the first, Channels
    From those we use the others to chart and graph parameters to adjust your tune file

Here is an example of an error log of your VE table.
    you will use this to correct fueling, right now (from this log and my generic graph) you are 10% or so lean in light load areas, pretty good in low load areas..

Tuner
    Lean?
    On my old Impala I can figure out lean, rich, and timing by listening and driving.
    I wouldn't even have known or seen lean with this newer stuff. Hell the truck is lighting up the tires. Lol School me man! I'm assuming the red in the table is lean? As I get into the throttle and the RPM's raise?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ha.. Ya back in the day: seat of the pants, knock, reading plugs...

That was just an example of your log into a chart I have for that Gen 3...
    Yes the red is lean... Based on your o2 readings... The Math is Long Term Fuel Trim + Shot Term fuel Trim error based on Stoic...
    It can also be very inaccurate in non steady state driving. As you advance in your logging and tuning you can filter that out...

I'm not sure the columns or rows match your VE table...
    We will get there...

And even if it was good steady state data, 10% really isn't bad (naturally you would rather be on the Rich side)

Tuner
    I'm gonna print out ur chart. Look at it a lil deeper. Try to understand the math of this. So on a old 4 barrel adjust on the needles to richer it a lil bit. Hate to sound like a pendejo but I wouldn't even know what to adjust to richen the tune. I'm gonna check ur graphs and charts. Get you some good logs in the morning. I appreciate ur time and knowledge. Very helpful. I owe u a cold beer! Thanks.

Sounds good...

Yup, just like getting some thinner needle jets or some weaker springs...

If you look at that graph and compare it to your VE table, it should look identical

In your Tune file...
    Engine<General>VE...

The Error in the graph is a %... You adjust the table in the tune by that % (or half so you don't over shoot)...

MAF is easier to start with
    We can discuss that once you get some good scan logs

Tuner
    dhoagland, Sorry it's been a bit. Still tryin to get the transmission ironed out. Here's a couple logs with ur VCM set up. Let me know what u think? Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Doesn't look too bad, leaned a little up top looking at MAF error...

Need to add MAP and Cylinder Air Mass to your channels (not sure why they weren't in the list)
    Without the MAP I could not see VE error...

To do this right you need to do MAF and VE separate (there are ways to do it together, but I'm struggling with the formulas and math functions).
    I also think doing them separate is good to start. You have to configure the file differently for the different modes so it make you work with the editor, then you log differently so it makes you work with the scanner

In the attached tune I adjusted your MAF based on your log and I bumped your VE table accordingly

Here are your Files set for MAF only and SD (failed MAF)

You can save all these files.
    Then open your file in the editor. In the tool bar (File, Edit, Compare, Flash) click the compare tab.
    Then "open compare file" find the file you want to compare (where ever you saved your files) and click on it to open

Now you should have both files open. The differences in the tabs (tables or parameters that are different) will show up green, the grid looking folders (I circled in red) The Blue star is your originally opened file, the Red is you compare file, the Blue Red shows the differences in the tables you have open.

You can also hit the compare in the tool bar (with 2 folders open) and it will drop down options. I use show differences a lot. It give an overview of all differences

So you can see the differences in the Tune for Logging MAF only vs SD and also see the changes in the MAF and VE from your original tune posted

Not sure what happened to the files. Here they are.

-One is your original with MAF & VE bumped slightly based on your logs
    -One is the same file set for MAF only
    -One is the same file set up for SD. (Failed MAF)
    Just look at the file names

Here is a Screen shot of your MAF error in the Log 1 you posted
    Attached Images Attached Images