Thread: Tune for my Turbo 5.3

Potential Tuner

Tune for my Turbo 5.3

Hey guys,

I have a 2014 Sierra that is currently getting the On3 single turbo kit installed for it and I?m looking for a decent tune to slap on it. I?m not looking for crazy power, but hoping for 500 to the wheels which is what I believe it?s guaranteed to add. I don?t want to go over that because I have stock internals and nothing really aftermarket - I was just looking for something that could bring a little extra fun when driving, not to make a race truck.

With that being said, On3 has a tune they sell for $600 which is absolutely insane. There is a very well-respected GM tuner about an hour away from me but I won?t be able to get until January and my truck will be finished by this coming Thursday or Friday. It?s currently tuned and runs decently well, but I?m afraid to run it without a proper turbo tune.

I have the HPT adapter and everything ready to go - will just need to buy credits when the time comes. However, I?m just looking for some input from people who might have some experience with this.

- Would I be able to run my current tune until I can get it on the dyno and properly tuned in January?
    - Should I buy the tune from On3 for?
    - Is there anyone on here who would be able to send me a tune of their own that they?ve made that I could use?

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    $600 for a turbo vehicle tune is not insane. Are they sending you a canned tune or will they being doing revisions with you? If it's canned, it's on the high side, but if they would be doing revisions with you saying $600 is an insane price is severely devaluing the hard work we do in this industry.

No one is going to provide a free tune for that vehicle for you. If you'd like to work through it, get a tune and a log up here and folks can give you some pointers.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    $600 for a turbo vehicle tune is not insane. Are they sending you a canned tune or will they being doing revisions with you? If it's canned, it's on the high side, but if they would be doing revisions with you saying $600 is an insane price is severely devaluing the hard work we do in this industry.

No one is going to provide a free tune for that vehicle for you. If you'd like to work through it, get a tune and a log up here and folks can give you some pointers.
    Sorry if I sounded entitled lol.. I don’t expect a tune on here to be free - I’m willing to pay and even reached out to a guy I found a little while ago to see if he’d be interested. And regarding the tune they sell, as far as I know, it’s canned. I went back to double check and it’s a vendor for their kits that sells the tune and not the manufacturers themselves, however I’ll ring them tomorrow just to be sure.

I guess I thought $600 was a lot for something remote like this because the guy I can get in with in January is always booked, provides amazing work and is even able to get me in on the dyno for like $400. I’m at a crossroads of what to do because I went in under the impression that a temporary tune would be installed after the kit was put on just to offer some reliability but no add too many gains, but I’ve now been told that they will not be installing any tune and I’m responsible for it. That’s why I’m not entirely sure what to do because I’m about two hours away from home and will be required to drive the truck back once the kit is placed.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    critical things you need to change

Manifold pressure sensor (i suggest 3 bar LSA/LS9) redtop
    upgrade your injectors (LT4)
    your lowside at least a boost a pump to help and push your HPFP to compensate
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    critical things you need to change

Manifold pressure sensor (i suggest 3 bar LSA/LS9) redtop
    upgrade your injectors (LT4)
    your lowside at least a boost a pump to help and push your HPFP to compensate
    You recommend any specific brand for these parts?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 14S1500 View Post
    You recommend any specific brand for these parts?
    LT4 high pressure pump is a GM part, came on the ZL1 and Z06 cars.

The booster can be a JMS FuelMax voltage booster.
    2017 Camaro SS, Whipple 3.0, Mast LT Black Label heads, 112mm TB, LPE BB HPFP & LT4+52% injectors, Fore Innovations triple pumps
    1059 WHP, 944 WTQ