Thread: How to kill the engine in a fault scenario

Senior Tuner

How to kill the engine in a fault scenario

Hi all,

Having some fuel pressure dramas at the moment as I work through some teething issues with a new fuel setup.

In aftermarket systems like Motec Link etc, you can setup fail safes that will shut the engine down. With the E38/67 PCMs does anyone know of a sensor I could tie into that would do the same thing? Only thing I can think of is something oil pressure related but I do not how that scenario plays out. I.e does it just set the MIL light or will it shut down the engine.

One example is I have heard of guys pulling the IAT sensor high (or low?) and setup in the IAT spark table to pull a heap of timing out in the max temp column.

Eager to hear some thoughts, ideas or even better a setup that has been tested to work.

Thanks all.

Pull main coil bank bulk plug, kill it about dead with just one bank

A failsafe that requires you to pull over, stop, get out, open the hood, and unplug a connector...

Senior Tuner
    Lol,

Since worked out can interrupt the coil power wire with a relay. Nice and simple.

Yeah wasn't thinking driving down the road sorry, was in mind set if firing with hood open in garage working on it, but yeah could do a switched relay setup and kill both banks at same time, be dead in the water with flip of a switch. I may actually do that for a security thing with odd placed switch in my truck.

Advanced Tuner
    Wire in an E-stop switch into the vpwr circuits for the coils/injectors.