Thread: 21N08 Flash from Ford

Advanced Tuner

21N08 Flash from Ford

Who here has gotten the 21N08 flash from Ford that is supposed to prevent the cam phasers from failing? I'm curious what was changed.

Advanced Tuner
    The 21b10 is supposed to fix the phaser Rattle but it does not work on most.once the noise is there the damage is done to the lock pin. Phaser replacement has updated parts.

Advanced Tuner
    Looking to see if anyone on here received the flash and we can see what was done.

Advanced Tuner
    It’s really only builds more oil pressure before it starts by extending the cranking time by a few seconds . If the noise is already present most likely the damage is already done to the lock pin in the phaser and it will need to be replaced. I work for a ford dealer and we replace them every week vehicles are coming in. I just did a raptor two weeks ago it keeps us busy.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure that's all what was changed? I think we can all find out for sure if we can find a read.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my 2019 raptor tune, stock after 21N08. I never pulled a tune off this vehicle before the change, but I added another 2019 raptor tune that I found in the forums (may have slight differences from my stock tune).

Things I have noticed since the change:

1) Intake and exhaust cam limits may have been changed. My intake cam is advanced 3 deg where it used to be zero (idle, light cruise) and exhaust will not retard as far as it used to during light cruise (before it would sit at 50 deg with light loads, now it maxes out at 47).

2) Auto start/stop does not activate nearly as often as it used to. I think this is due to cold exterior temperatures, it seems like its fully disabled under about 40 deg F.

3) when start/stop is activated and the engine starts up, the oil pressure jumps higher than it used to for a short period of time. I didn't check this out before the change, but i thought when the engine started and under light loads it would immediately go to min oil pressure while cruising. Now it jumps to 40 psi regardless of load for a short period of time.

4) I've been getting noticeably worse fuel economy (about 1 mpg) but this may be due to colder temps or winter fuel.

I don't really see anything in the tune that has changed a lot except max phasing limits for the variable cam shaft, but these could have been different anyway. If you find anything else post on here!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Interesting to hear what they actually did.