Thread: Pentastar 3.6 FWD tunes "In my car"

Pentastar 3.6 FWD tunes "In my car"

Since the tune repository doesn't allow uploads, I'll post my tune's here which "Should" be compatible with the FWD 3.6 with the 6speed 62TE transmission which has been equipped on most 3.6 FWD Chrysler vehicles. Note, the transmission settings I have preset are a lower pressure reverse gear, a higher pressure forward gear. I did not raise the line pressures too much more in the 5th and 6th gear as most people will be using the 1-4gears. The 4th gear pressure seems to be good and solid without any issues in "MY" vehicle. As of a couple months ago I installed an auxiliary transmission cooler to keep my trans temps below 140deg F. During the 80+ summer my temps did hit around 150F in stop and go traffic but currently here in WNY with an average of 30F, according to my glow shift gauge I don't even touch the 100F temps. Now take that into consideration as it's always possible that the glow shift sensor and gauge could be off as this is the first gauge I've ever used by this company and I'm still skeptical that my trans fluid temps are actually that cold.
    Also when I tuned my transmission I was using a different software before I switched to HPT. The software I was using before also allowed me to change Developer options so I had personally changed more technical stuff on the manufacture level of programing. So my trans shifts I have personally tuned based on daily driving and using personally the autostick. So in your typical drive setting it has granny shifting, but when in Autostick and my tune you can upshift higher than the engine's set rpm limit. This way you have full control of the upshifts.
    And now for the tune's....
    These are based on the "Butt" dyno and HPTsoftware using VCM scanner.
    This tune I had back in August, the numbers showed 277hp@6211rpm and 265ft/lb@4566 this was using 93octane with 10% ethanol
    Attachment 115873
    Attachment 115874

This is the E80/E85 tune which was 305hp@6478 and 274ft/lb @ 4656
    Attachment 115875
    Attachment 115876

Now I'm down to the E50 winter blend tunes: 316@6920 and 282ft/lb@4173
    Attachment 115877
    (log file is too long to insert)

Here's the 327hp@6920 and 282ft/lb@4173
    Attachment 115878
    Attachment 115879

Here's the 344hp@7316 and 277ft/lb@4000
    Attachment 115880
    Attachment 115881

And finally my current 343@7263 and 281ft/lb@4032
    Attachment 115882
    Apparently I can't ad the final log as there's a limit per post. But as of now that's where I'm at currently using E50. If your concerned about MPG, then this post is DEFINITELY not for you as I'm currently averaging 20mpg highway and about 12mpg city using E50. Note, using 93octane with 10% ethanol city I was averaging around 15mpg so I really didn't lose to much city driving. It's mostly based on your foot......

Now "MY" engine and transmission mods are:
    Mopar CAI housing insulated
    Oversized K&N air filter to where I had to cut the Mopar housing to allow it to fit
    3.5" Aluminum pipe from the air filter to the TB
    Mopar 80mm TB with MPX TB adapter
    Lower PUG manifold
    Intake pipe wrapped with DEI Gold wrap tape
    Upper plenum wrapped with DEI insulation and finally with DEI gold wrap tape
    Lower plenum insulated with DEI insulation anywhere I could
    MSD coils
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Bosch 55lb/hr E85 compatible injectors (AC Delco 12598646)
    Mopar Catback
    Dual Oil Catch cans
    Oversized Auxiliary Transmission cooler
    HPTuners Pro programmer
    Last edited by brr; 04-28-2022 at 01:54 AM.

Attached here is the log file from the previous post I couldn't post because I had too many uploads.
    Attachment 115912

Now I got to work on the cam's as I didn't really focus too much on anything over 6500rpm yet as I was just trying to get the normal driving with wot shifts at 6500rpm done. Currently the cams are swinging a lot above 6500rpm and I'm going to see what changes can be done. I also got to figure out why I'm being limited now to 65% WOT opening Vs 85%, I think it has to do with me increasing the flywheel TQ requests but, I'll continue playing to see what happens.
    I currently have E50/E53 in my area which is approximately 102octane so I should be safe when it comes to concerns about detonation.....

ok, tonight I pulled 2 degrees out of WOT on the Alcohol map and my numbers dropped again. A couple things I've noticed is the cam's are not set where they used to be in previous logs and I think it has something to do with throttle position. I was recommended to use the stock 3.6 voltage settings and ranges and my WOT is now around 56% Vs 86% on a previous tune that had the WOT voltage set at 3.8volts. So I'm going to change the timing on my previous tune and see what happens there without changing anything else. The cams seem to swing a lot and during my previous runs I noticed it depended on throttle voltage or percentage. Since my throttle opening dropped from 86% to around 56% at WOT I've lost a lot of TQ numbers based on HPT.

Attachment 116535
    Attachment 116536

Here's a log from tonights tune. According to HPT VCM scanner it's the highest HP numbers I've had yet. But I'm trying to figure out why I keep peaking at 281ft/lbs of TQ on a majority of the log's and I can't get any higher. Also this log shows that the airflow seems to be fluttering like maybe there's a restriction or I don't have the cams set right and the airflow is pulsating with the valves. And yes I know it was running pretty rich at 7200rpm, I need to adjust this.

Attachment 116696

as of 4-28-22

Here is my latest tune, I'm still researching for better fuel injector data and then I'll mess with ignition timing. The cam timing seems to be pretty good for now for all around driving, I may increase the driver demanded TQ a little bit at lower rpm's but for now this is what I have running E60 with the pcm registering higher than that........Also my A/F's are way too rich, at 7000rpm I'd like to be at around 11.5's as my engine seems to like those numbers at that high of a rev.......

Attachment 119716
    Attachment 119717
    Last edited by brr; 04-28-2022 at 01:13 AM.

Hey, fellow FWD Pentastar tuner. Haven't looked at the tunes you posted to see what you've done, but aside from the injectors and running E50, it seems like we are pretty close to each other on hardware.

My current setup:
    Pacifica lower intake and injectors
    custom catback
    ram air intake through heat wrapped 3" piping
    valve covers also heat wrapped to keep it from radiating to the intake
    stuffed and stiffened motor mounts
    had Ruthenium plugs in, but I started getting knock at WOT, so I switched back to OEM style... apparently wasn't the issue (think the guy originally doing my tune was just trying to throw fuel at the problem to see if it would go away... it didn't)

Caraline-tune3-mipi-180t-ok.hpt
    This is a tune I've been running for about a week and it's greatly improved performance throughout the powerband. It has a migrated injector table from the Pacifica and a ton of VVT modding. Don't know if there's anything there that could help you hit better numbers. The guy that did the VVT stuff is rumored to be one of the best for Caravans, but no one can ever get ahold of him. I just happened to get the info when one of the people he had tuned for had bought the 180 degree thermostat and needed the info to prevent the P0128, and he graciously forwarded his tune so I could tinker with it. (Who says being nice never gets you anything? :P) Anyway, don't know if anything in it will help or not, since I've never dynoed it but it feels like a good 20-30 hp increase over my previous tune. Even smoked a stock Challenger on my first night out with it. Not bad considering my tires are old and want to slip a bunch.

I have a question though... Did you find a way to actually get past the stock speed limiter? I've found that adjusting the speed in the Speedometer page does absolutely nothing.

Sienile, sorry for the major late reply.....things have been going on at the home front and I haven't really progressed much.........also add in I ended up adding new brakes at all four corners, lower balljoints, sway links, 3 new axles and a wheel bearing......

Attachment 127615
    This is the tune I've been using since March of 2022.....
    I can use 93octane or any E30+ ratio fuel without any issues. Note I do have oversized injectors.......

Attachment 127616
    Here is my same tune but with the Challenger cam settings. With the Challenger cam settings, the power band seems more transient and idle quality is quiet. Gas mileage around town seems to have
    gained about 1-2mpg along with highway about the same. But the off the line power isn't there like my other tune above.
    With the tune above if I launch hard on wet roads, I don't get traction until 3rd(using autostick). Even on dry roads if I launch my car hard with 10" wide radial tires, I still break them free.....
    I have not done much with tuning lately, I've been doing more research than anything for affordable upgrades.

Potential Tuner
    Just curious if the attachments are openable by anyone else, I get an error and told to contact admins.