Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mustang GT Active Exhaust

2020 Mustang GT Active Exhaust

Hello,

I changed the tables for the active exhaust mapping, but the valves seem to work exactly as they did before. My changes have no effect whatsoever.
    Is this feature supposed to work on a 2020 Mustang?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 12-14-2021 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Here's where I found the active exhaust settings:

AE_Settings.png

Here's how I configured the Normal mode table:

AE_Normal_Table.png

And here's how the valve looks in Normal at warm idle. This is definitely not 90%. It's more like 30 to 40%.

AE_Normal.jpg

Here's the Sport mode table:

AE_Sport_Table.png

And here's how the valve looks in Sport at warm idle. This is clearly not 100%.

AE_Sport.jpg

The car is obviously ignoring my changes. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there any other setting that I should change to make it work?

Hardware info:

Hardware.png

Another question. The active exhaust tables pictured above only go to 5500 rpm. What happens after that? The engine is capable of revving to 7400 rpm.
    Is the car supposed to use the 5500 rpm setting for anything higher than that? Like, 5500 actually means 5500+?

Advanced Tuner
    For your model, active exhaust is RPM vs Pedal % vs %OPEN/CLOSED all the way up 5500. you can always normalize the table to run the RPM you want. If you want wide open then %pedal 100 = 100% OPEN. AT 5500 rpm vs 100% pedal =1.0 or 100%. hope fully this makes sense.

Indeed, I see that clicking on the Engine Speed label opens a graph that you can adjust.

RPM_1.png

And you get this:

RPM_2.png

But does it really work like this? If the active exhaust was originally configured only up to 5500 rpm, can you simply pull up those values to an rpm domain that wasn't configured before and expect the car to use them?
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 02-21-2022 at 02:42 AM.

Anyway, my issue still remains, namely that the car is completely ignoring any changes that I do in this area. And I'm not sure why.
    Maybe it's because my car is Euro-spec, and these tables are only used in US vehicles.
    Or maybe it's because my car is a 2020 MY, and Ford changed something in 2020, and these tables do not work anymore.
    Or maybe it's because my car is a GT, and these tables are only relevant for the GT350.

And I'm pretty upset about it, because it has cost me four credits. I paid two hundred euros for something that doesn't work, and nobody seems to be able to help me, not even the HPtuners support team.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 02-21-2022 at 02:59 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    So i am assuming your car came from the factory with Active Exhaust ? post your tune file and i can take a look. change the settings Idle switch from Disabled to enabled, Active Exhaust Load Switch to Enabled, or you want to try and override logic and have 100% open change Active Exhaust Manual Control switch to Enable. I use SCT software, the tables are labeled different but your HW LR3A-14C204-ACC has all the Scalars for Active Exhaust.

Also Factory Settings for these
    Idle open time (O) secs
    pedal position max should be 100%
    pedal position min should be 90%
    pedal position exit should be 90%

My understanding All European GTs are sold as PP1 models with a 3.55 and trac-lock instead of 3.73 Torsen, tech package (parking sensors and driver aids), and active exhaust as standard.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 02-21-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Yes, the car came from the factory with the active exhaust. It does work fine, but not in accordance with the tables that I see in the editor. Strangely, it doesn't even seem to conform to the original contents of the tables, before I changed them. No matter what I do, the valves never open at idle more than you see in the pictures in the first post. I have no idea how much they open at higher rpm, because I can't see them while driving.
    Here's one of the tune files. I tried several combinations, but none worked.

Mustang_AE_tune.hpt

Idle Switch was originally enabled. Changing it to disabled didn't seem to have any effect.
    Idle Open Time was originally set to 1 second, and I didn't try changing it. It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Its description reads "amount of time the valve is allowed to open at idle". But my valves don't just stay open at idle for one second. They stay open (or closed, or partially open, depending on the AE mode) as long as the car is idling.

I tried changing the pedal position settings to make sure the car never enters an NVH exclusion mode (I tried something like min 110%, max 150%, exit 110%, or thereabouts, so that the NVH exclusion mode criteria are never met), but it had no effect.

I haven't tried using the manual control yet. I'll give it a try.
    Also, I never tried setting the Load Switch to enabled, because my understanding is that this will make the AE work according to the engine load rather than according to these tables. But I may try it, just to see if anything changes.

In the VCM Scanner there's one parameter related to it. It's called "active exhaust desired position". I guess this parameter is supposed to represent the percentage of valve opening that's commanded by the PCM at one given time. But this parameter is always 0%. Always. It never shows anything else than 0%. This makes me think that my car manages the active exhaust a bit differently.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 02-22-2022 at 01:47 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quick question what is the overall goal, do you want the exhaust to sound like its in sport or track mode all the time? Which Scanner do you have MPVI or MPV2 ? do you have an email address? 2020 has the addition of quiet mode, something the Shelby GT350 does not have.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 02-22-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Yes, something like that. I'd like to change the way it sounds in various modes. For instance, to make it sound in Sport+ as if it were in Track (so that I can have the valves wide open without having to see that ugly "please read the manual" warning every time). Or to make Normal sound like Track at idle (so that it sounds nice and loud as soon as the engine starts, without having to wait until I change the mode), but keep the rest of Normal as it is (so that I can still use it during long drives, when Track would be a bit too tiring). Things like that. I haven't decided yet exactly how I want to configure it. I just thought it would be cool if I could tweak it a bit.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Yes, something like that. I'd like to change the way it sounds in various modes. For instance, to make it sound in Sport+ as if it were in Track (so that I can have the valves wide open without having to see that ugly "please read the manual" warning every time). Or to make Normal sound like Track at idle (so that it sounds nice and loud as soon as the engine starts, without having to wait until I change the mode), but keep the rest of Normal as it is (so that I can still use it during long drives, when Track would be a bit too tiring). Things like that. I haven't decided yet exactly how I want to configure it. I just thought it would be cool if I could tweak it a bit.
    Sent a message to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    Sent a message to you.
    Sorry, I don't seem to have received it. There's nothing in my inbox.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry, I don't seem to have received it. There's nothing in my inbox.
    maybe it went to the notifications tab up top of the forum. when i click on your name it gives me option to send email, so whatever email you use to setup the HP profile is where it may have gone. it doesnt actually show me your email address, which is why i was asking for it

Strange. I've just checked my settings. My e-mail address looks correct in my profile, and the "receive e-mail from other members" option is turned on. Who knows, maybe there's something wrong with this functionality. I've checked the spam folder, just in case, but there's nothing there.
    I've sent you my e-mail address in a private message.
    Last edited by Vlad Soare; 02-23-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Strange. I've just checked my settings. My e-mail address looks correct in my profile, and the "receive e-mail from other members" option is turned on. Who knows, maybe there's something wrong with this functionality. I've checked the spam folder, just in case, but there's nothing there.
    I've sent you my e-mail address in a private message.
    sent a reply..

Advanced Tuner

I know this thread is a year old now, but I'm having the exact same issue. I want to edit the AE tables so that when the car is put into sport mode that it has the same exhaust profile as track mode.

Changing the tables, or changing the table selection assignment does basically nothing, does anyone know if there's a trick to this?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by junits15 View Post
    I know this thread is a year old now, but I'm having the exact same issue. I want to edit the AE tables so that when the car is put into sport mode that it has the same exhaust profile as track mode.

Changing the tables, or changing the table selection assignment does basically nothing, does anyone know if there's a trick to this?
    I've not gotten the tables to work either. You should be able to use "My Mode" to set track exhaust with sport suspension and steering.