Thread: eraser failed

Potential Tuner

eraser failed

I'm trying to flash my p01 PCM for the first time. im using a bench flash setup. it read the file just fine but when i go to flash it fails when erasing. I've tried it a few times with the same result and I'm not sure what to do from here

Quote Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
    I'm trying to flash my p01 PCM for the first time. im using a bench flash setup. it read the file just fine but when i go to flash it fails when erasing. I've tried it a few times with the same result and I'm not sure what to do from here
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. It will never complete the erasing portion of the process. I have tried write entire and write calibration. Not sure what the deal is here. I am using a ebay bench harness and I havent bothered to check the wiring on it, but it read the P01 pcm so that makes me think things are working correctly.

EDIT: it was the power supply to my bench harness. Power was below 12V with the PCM turned on. Hacked on another one I had laying around with the same ratings and we have around 14.5. Best of all, it works!
    Last edited by shropshire_flasher; 02-18-2022 at 06:56 AM.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. It will never complete the erasing portion of the process. I have tried write entire and write calibration. Not sure what the deal is here. I am using a ebay bench harness and I havent bothered to check the wiring on it, but it read the P01 pcm so that makes me think things are working correctly.

EDIT: it was the power supply to my bench harness. Power was below 12V with the PCM turned on. Hacked on another one I had laying around with the same ratings and we have around 14.5. Best of all, it works!
    Thanks for the advice! It didn't occur to me to check the power of the wire!

Quote Originally Posted by WinNT View Post
    Thanks for the advice! It didn't occur to me to check the power of the wire!
    In today's complex world there are many eraser solutions available to meet your needs.

Potential Tuner
    This threads getting pretty old, but I just had the same problem. Found this thread, and my situation is the same. Ebay bench harness, failed erase. Ebay harness converter holding 12.34 volts entire time. Disconnected ebay converter and used a Radio shack 15amp 12 volt converter. It held 13.94 volts and the reflash went right through with no issue. I plan on cutting out the ebay converter, and making a battery power pigtail for the harness.

The real-deal Midtronics power supplies for doing this are 14.4V/70A.

Potential Tuner
    i ran into this recently too while in vehicle

it looks like its almost always a low voltage threshold, it would be really nice if the kernel or whatever reported that error properly to the hptuners software so instead of just 'ooh eraser failed' it would say 'erase was aborted due to insufficient or unstable voltage'.

in my case i just threw a solid 3 amp charge on the battery while programming and it went away, even though the battery was a solid 12.8 volts.