Thread: 3.5 Ecoboost gen 1 to gen 2 swap

3.5 Ecoboost gen 1 to gen 2 swap

Good morning everyone,
    I'm gonna start off by letting you know that I'm doing something insane. My 16 f150 had been rebuilt twice and finally failed at 60k miles as mine was a lemon engine. Unfortunately it's been a nightmare finding my engine, alongside the worry of how it was maintained prior. I am 90% finished with the swap as I am down to some non can bus related re wiring and extensions. I will mention unless you swap wiring harness and PCM the low pressure injection system will be deleted as I have.
    I will be posting alot of photos of changes and detailed instructions as I want to benefit the community in a way of replacing a failed Ecoboost with a upgrade if they suffer my fate.
    My donor engine was a 2020 HO engine that suffered light fire damage lending me to saving alot of money.
    You can reuse your existing HPFP but it will be moved to the passenger head. The high pressure like swaps over perfectly. The oil pan is interchangeable, including most of the sensors with the exception of needing the pigtails for the coil packs, cam phasers, extensions for cam sensors as they move from driver head to passenger side, and swapping the pigtail for the high-pressure injectors as the 18+ incorporated the rail pressure sensor to the harness because the move the sensor to the front of the rail. I will mention they changed the bolt pattern for the rail but the injectors are the same.

You will not be able to reuse your intake manifold, front timing cover, water pump, and thermostat housing, and the cam covers as you will need those from Ford. I purchased those new from my dealership for 452$.
    The exhaust manifolds and turbos do not interchange but I solved this issue by using the 2020 manifolds and exhaust housing of the turbos as they interchange with a simple v band. I made a bracket to use my vacuum wastegates as the newer models are electronic.
    Motor mounts are identical, and the bell housing fits exactly the same from 6r80 to 10r80 so no worries there.
    The charge piping works out the same, but some vacuum hose modifications are needed as you are deleting the vacuum pump. However if you've had the brake booster recall done it isn't a issue as the newer models has a better design.
    I will be posting some photos this afternoon for you all. So subscribe if you want to see the process!

The throttle bod
    2016 mustang GT/CS- Tune only with mild exhaust for KYSCCA autocross CAM class

2016 F-150 Lariat Sport 3.5 EB

1990 Mustang - currently working on 2.3 EB swap

Also, if you are savvy. I purchased the engine for 1,000, the parts this far are 1200 including two new turbos and manifolds as mine did not come with those. I am 2,200$ in so far. All sensors, turbos, manifolds, lines for turbos, cam phaser solenoids, intake, cam covers, coil packs, and spark plugs will all be brand new as engine being out of truck is the best way to ensure I don't have any problems.

Potential Tuner
    Did you complete your swap? I'm looking to swap a 2015 F150 3.5 ecoboost motor to a 2019. Do you have any pics and further information? Thanks

Potential Tuner
    hey brad any update on the swap

Potential Tuner
    I would love it if you can update your progress. I have a 2013 F150 with a messed up engine and considering it to buy a 2020 Expedition engine with 42k miles to put into my 2013 truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Joubert View Post
    I would love it if you can update your progress. I have a 2013 F150 with a messed up engine and considering it to buy a 2020 Expedition engine with 42k miles to put into my 2013 truck.
    interesting build. 2 year old thread though...

When I see a thread like this and the thing goes cold, I figure they ran into some big problems and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
    When I see a thread like this and the thing goes cold, I figure they ran into some big problems and it didn't work.
    Ya I think there are some pretty significant differences between the gen 1 and gen 2 3.5s. The guys over on the Ecoboost forum would probably be able to give more input on those exact differences, but as I recall this has been a "project" for quite a few people that I'm assuming ended up either with a Gen 1 back in it or in the salvage yard...
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Potential Tuner
    Evo8john, what or which ecoboost forum? I'm looking for some good ones.

Thanks.