Thread: 6L80 Stock Converter: Trying to get Zero Slip

Potential Tuner

6L80 Stock Converter: Trying to get Zero Slip

So I've heard from plenty of "people" on the internet that the stock 6L80 converter clutch is weak and will eventually explode. Are people just repeating this because of the stock tuning having 20-60rpm of slip built in for smoothing out pulsing/vibrations from the engine that will cause it to fail eventually? Or could it last if you zero out the slip, increase up the TCC offset, increase the TCC max pressure, and increase the TCC Apply Rate table to engage the converter clutch much more aggressively? I'm talking in reference to a basic stock internal bolt-ons truck.

Prior to messing with the TCC at all I'd get the converter shutter when locked cruising and trying to maintain speed uphill or slowly accelerating. Now I have zero'ed out the slip, increased the the apply rate table by 25%, max TCC pressure by 25%, and reduced the offset from 1.5 to 1.25. Based on my logs the TCC stays very close to zero slip but will slip if I make more rapid throttle changes but comes back down to zero slip within a few seconds. I still am getting that torque converter shudder in those instances. Should I just keep ramping up the pressure in order to make it lock completely solid like a manual transmission clutch or will the stock TCC not hold the power under slight acceleration on a basic bolt on truck?

Advanced Tuner
    I have seen a couple forums where they raised regulator offset to around 90 psi with some success and some adjustments on the apply ramp.

Senior Tuner
    Just Disable the DOD slip tables (or disable DOD itself), then zero the Desired slippage tables for each gear. Change the minimum slip AC on to zero. Then increase the regulator offset. I also increase the Apply Rate to a minimum of 55. I also disable the TCC lockup entirely for 1-3 gears. The torque converter will thank you afterwards. :-)

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Just Disable the DOD slip tables (or disable DOD itself), then zero the Desired slippage tables for each gear. Change the minimum slip AC on to zero. Then increase the regulator offset. I also increase the Apply Rate to a minimum of 55. I also disable the TCC lockup entirely for 1-3 gears. The torque converter will thank you afterwards. :-)
    I have done all that except for the Apply Rate min setting to 55. I found at low load cruising I can feel the drivetrain slack getting on/off the gas. I set the 0 slip portion for around 100lbs and less back to stock. Now that portion is smooth again.