Thread: E39A, LHU engine

Potential Tuner

E39A, LHU engine

Hello,

At the beginning I would like to say hi everyone.

I have Opel Insignia with A20NFT engine (LHU). Several modifications are made:

EFR 6758
    WGMOTORWORKS Camshafts (by Pipercams - fast road specs)
    Stock HPFP
    Stock injectors
    AEM 340LPH LPFP
    ZZP neutral balance shafts
    Front mount intercooler (custom)
    Custom intake with AEM filter
    Custom MAF housing (3,25`` inside diameter)
    Custom 3`` exhaust

And few things more (such as forged internals)

I am the owner of the car not tuner, so forgive me if I wrote something wrong. Below is a description of the problem I got from my tuner.

The problem is that the ECU does not allow more airflow and boost.
    The attached program controls the boost in the open loop mode. We apply a high boost and engine torque, we control the boost from the BASE DC map. The problem is that something causes the ECU to close the throttle on boost above 1.6-1.7bar while the ebc valve duty cycle is correct (same values as in the BASE DC map).
    The goal we want to achieve: around 450HP, target boost 1.9-2bar.

Hope anybody can help us on this.

Thanks, Konrad
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Anyone has any idea?

Advanced Tuner
    Your tuner is not logging enough data channels to understand what the ECM is doing.

Have they ever tried to calibrate one of these ECMs before?

Potential Tuner
    What data is missing?

Advanced Tuner
    In order to find the reason for the throttle closing, you need to log most if not all the torque channels.

Potential Tuner
    OK. Thank you. I'll tell this to my tuner and attach the files again.

Potential Tuner
    Ok. I have new logs. Hope we have now enough data channels. Please let me know if you can see what the problem is. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Maybe it has to do with the /Engine/Torque Management/Driver demand ???
    just a wild as guess.

Advanced Tuner
    You need to log ignition timing, commanded EQ ratio and wide band data. I would also monitor injector pulse width and SOI if available.

Your fuel pressure is dropping in the first log. That needs to be addressed. I see you have a upgraded low pressure pump but you will likely need to upgraded the HPFP or something to address that side of the system. Would be nice to see what the EQ ratio commanded is and what actual lambda is too so we can fully understand what the fuel system is doing. You may be too rich which could be causing the drop in fuel pressure.

Your throttle is likely closing because your delivered engine torque is greater than the MAX torque parameter which is going to be calculated from virtual torque tables.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks cadillactech. I will tell this to my tuner and attach new logs.
    Yes I know I have a potential fuel pressure issue and I will probably need to upgrade the HPFP.
    ZZP has an upgraded HPFP. Do you know if there is another option to replace the factory HPFP?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kw8 View Post
    Thanks cadillactech. I will tell this to my tuner and attach new logs.
    Yes I know I have a potential fuel pressure issue and I will probably need to upgrade the HPFP.
    ZZP has an upgraded HPFP. Do you know if there is another option to replace the factory HPFP?
    I do not know of another option but Autotech might have something. I wouldn't do any more full throttle runs until that is sorted, you can go lean and break parts pretty quick with low fuel pressure.

Potential Tuner
    Hey! Sorry for just seeing this post now, perhaps you already have this figured out... I ran into this when tuning Virtual Volumetric Efficiency in open loop & it drove me crazy... If you go Edit > Virtual Volumetric Efficiency, then click on the y-axis title... You will then have to click under the "defaults" tab and select the pressure ratio range of 0.1 to 3. You should now be able to reach these boost pressures without having the throttle closing. Hopefully this helps!