Thread: 07 LBZ Duramax. Should I use my HP Tuners or buy EFI Live?

Potential Tuner

07 LBZ Duramax. Should I use my HP Tuners or buy EFI Live?

Hey guys new user here. Been reading and lurking around for a while on the gas side but nothing on the diesel side. I bought a MPVI2 in 2019 to delete the vats and all on a LS swap I did. I recently purchased a 07 LBZ Duramax and wondering if it is worth while to learn the HP tuners side or go with something like EFI that has a lot more support? I don't want anything crazy on this truck just a little more performance and a good tow tune to pull my skid steer. Not sure if you can do switchable tunes with HP tuners like EFI live on the LBZ. Thoughts?

Take a read of your LBZ with HP and post it up...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by wgarner1414 View Post
    Hey guys new user here. Been reading and lurking around for a while on the gas side but nothing on the diesel side. I bought a MPVI2 in 2019 to delete the vats and all on a LS swap I did. I recently purchased a 07 LBZ Duramax and wondering if it is worth while to learn the HP tuners side or go with something like EFI that has a lot more support? I don't want anything crazy on this truck just a little more performance and a good tow tune to pull my skid steer. Not sure if you can do switchable tunes with HP tuners like EFI live on the LBZ. Thoughts?
    LBZ has poor support efi and hpt
    best way use tool for read/write raw binary edc16 bdm100 for example and use winols

GM FORD DODGE
    custom xdf for hpt

Tuner in Training
    Even with limited support hp and efi arent bad if your looking for some power. Im partial to winols thats the best for any application. But for easy peasy efi or hp is fine. Just my .02

Tuner in Training
    I was thinking the same thing a while back. I have MVPI that I tune my 2010 CTSV with and I have 2 more credits that I could use on my Silverado 3500 Classic. Not sure if I want to mess with the LBZ as it has 352k miles and is all stock except for the Airaid CAI and wheels / tires.

Subbed for others input.

I used it for my 2010 and like it. Already had HPT and really didn't want the expense of EFI and another system to maintain. Just be careful turning the wick up too much if you're towing she'll run hot. I suggest an EGT probe to keep your temps in check. Its a dance but opposite the gas world. Gas: lean is bad Diesel: fat is bad. Luckily that whirliebird can be turned up to combat the egts more fuel gives.... = +hp.
    But yes, there is limited support and not so cut and dry to learn a diesel. But...there are a few great chaps on here that have helped me out for sure and many older threads on how to get started.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned