Thread: Replacing bricked 0411 GM PCM Questions

Potential Tuner

Replacing bricked 0411 GM PCM Questions

Hey Guys,

I bricked my pcm and I am looking for a replacement to transfer my tune file to. Should I get a salvage pcm untouched, or can I get the same setup I started with that matches my "bricked" PCM when I got it, with vats, egr, down stream o2, and evap systems deleted? Is it an issue to get a PCM that a company sells that already has deleted systems for a swap?
    Does HP Tuners not recognize PCMs 100% when previously changed by companies for swaps?

I appreciate any insight on this.

Advanced Tuner
    When I had to replace a PCM I had bricked. I just did a "Write Entire" with the old program and new PCM.

Since you have to license the PCM anyway, save the file from the new PCM before you overwrite it. I wish I had done that with an 0411 I changed for a OBS swap.

HP Tuners does not write two files that are required. Sometimes if you get a used or reman it will have the correct OS already on it and you are good to go. Otherwise you will need someone with TLC to do a replace and program procedure.

You can actually unbrick a gen 3 gm PCM with a bench harness and grounding a point on the board. There are some good videos on youtube.
    2000 Camaro SS 408 TH400
    2012 Subaru WRX STI
    2013 Camaro SS
    2001 Corvette Z06

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    HP Tuners does not write two files that are required. Sometimes if you get a used or reman it will have the correct OS already on it and you are good to go. Otherwise you will need someone with TLC to do a replace and program procedure.
    Not on a Gen 3 0411, 4896 or P59. That applies to gen 4 E38 etc...

So you can fully program an unprogrammed P59 with HPtuners? I did not know that.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    So you can fully program an unprogrammed P59 with HPtuners? I did not know that.
    That's not what I said.