Thread: Serial Wideband Disappears When Logging

Tuner

Serial Wideband Disappears When Logging

I have seen this issue reported with the pro feature cable, and I wanted to start a thread dedicated to serial connections with widebands. In my case, I'm using an Innovate LC-1 connected via its serial output. I have a 2.5mm to USB 232 cable which bypasses the need for a serial-to-usb adapter, but it works the same way. However, I couldn't figure out why I needed to restart my computer with the cable plugged in in order to log AFR. Seemed like something weird was going on, so I kept experimenting. I found the following, and I hope that maybe it could be fixed by HP.

So, the issue seems to be that if I plug the wideband in AFTER plugging my MPVI2+ in, VCM scanner won't recognize it. Logworks (Innovate's software) picks it up, but not VCM Scanner. If I simply unplug the MPVI2+ and plug it back in, it works. Alternatively, resyncing the interface in VCM scanner works as well. This just seems silly that VCM Scanner will not pick up any other serial device automatically. It only searches when it detects a newly connected MPVI2 device or you tell the software to resync manually. Is there a way this can be fixed in a later beta? It's not a bad workaround, but if my usb cable comes loose, I have to resync each time. It just would be nice to have a more plug-and-play workflow.

Anyway, if anyone else has this issue, just resync interface or unplug your MPVI2 and plug it back in (with your serial wideband already connected to the computer.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info, I have been having serial issues as well. But it was weird because I was not having an issue then all of a sudden one day my WB started disappearing. I will try your solution.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by techmann52 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I have been having serial issues as well. But it was weird because I was not having an issue then all of a sudden one day my WB started disappearing. I will try your solution.
    Let me know if it works for you. So far, it has worked for me without fail.

Also don't forget that you can only pipe the serial data to ONE app at a time. If Logworks or a terminal window is connected the data stream will be unavailable to the scanner (or anything else). If the connection is live in the scanner then terminal window won't connect, etc.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Also don't forget that you can only pipe the serial data to ONE app at a time. If Logworks or a terminal window is connected the data stream will be unavailable to the scanner (or anything else). If the connection is live in the scanner then terminal window won't connect, etc.
    Good point. I was aware of that, but thanks for adding it to the thread!