Thread: Increasing 'Max Line Pressure' on the 6L80E >

Increasing 'Max Line Pressure' on the 6L80E >

Speaking of line pressure ...

Looking at a stock tune of my 2011 Corvette LS3 with 6L80E transmission -vs- a modified tune that was done to the car later on ... the only difference that I can find while looking at just the transmission data is that the 'Max Line Pressure' was increased from 726 kPa -to- 841 kPa ... this slight change made the part throttle and full throttle shifts just a little more 'firm'.

Now, I have installed a Circle-D 2,800 stall single clutch converter in the car. This converter is set up just like the stock converter in that it does not lock at WOT.

I have noticed that with this 'looser' converter, the part throttle and full throttle shifts seem more soft than before the converter was changed (and that makes sense).

Question ... If I slightly increase the 'Max Line Pressure' from 841 kPa -to- 890 kPa do you think I will get back that slightly more firm shift I had before ?

Thanks,
    Ron

Probably not. That is Max Pressure available...
    Shift Timing, Individual Clutch pressures, Inertia Factors, all effect...

This CTSV was a fair amount different than my 2011 Camaro and should give you an idea of what changes can be made
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

dhoagland ... thanks

In comparison to my transmission tune, there is a LOT of difference between mine and that 2011 CTSV tune you posted.

GM sure has made this complicated ... In my 'Perfect World', there would be one set of parameters to change in order to make the shift softer or harder .. (basically #1 -to- #5) . (#1 being the softest and #5 being the hardest shift setting)

oh well ...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
    dhoagland ... thanks

In comparison to my transmission tune, there is a LOT of difference between mine and that 2011 CTSV tune you posted.

GM sure has made this complicated ... In my 'Perfect World', there would be one set of parameters to change in order to make the shift softer or harder .. (basically #1 -to- #5) . (#1 being the softest and #5 being the hardest shift setting)

oh well ...
    10-4
    Word of caution in case your tempted...
    The Tables are the same size, BUT if you look at some of the table headers the torque value is different from yours. So don't compare and pull those tables into your Tune. It will work, but not good (ask how I know)....

You can definitely copy and paste the data, BUT I would go all or nothing and adjust individual tables as necessary.
    I choose to do only the shift timing without the pressures and everything else to go with it and it wasn't happy. It worked okay 90% of the time but it was jerked on certain downshifts.
    Then I went all in and its perfect... Nice and smooth light throttle, nice and firm WOT
    Then I made some tweaks to shift pressure tables at WOT for better clamping force (I didn't have any issues, just a safety that was recommended to me)...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training JustinWhiteTuned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6TA View Post
    Speaking of line pressure ...

Looking at a stock tune of my 2011 Corvette LS3 with 6L80E transmission -vs- a modified tune that was done to the car later on ... the only difference that I can find while looking at just the transmission data is that the 'Max Line Pressure' was increased from 726 kPa -to- 841 kPa ... this slight change made the part throttle and full throttle shifts just a little more 'firm'.

Now, I have installed a Circle-D 2,800 stall single clutch converter in the car. This converter is set up just like the stock converter in that it does not lock at WOT.

I have noticed that with this 'looser' converter, the part throttle and full throttle shifts seem more soft than before the converter was changed (and that makes sense).

Question ... If I slightly increase the 'Max Line Pressure' from 841 kPa -to- 890 kPa do you think I will get back that slightly more firm shift I had before ?

Thanks,
    Ron
    what your adjusting there is the maximum limit of shift pressure it will allow due to adaptation. upping the pressure may have helped before if the transmission was experiencing some less than ideal shifts. upping the pressure now will maybe help, but the root of the issue is the shifting characteristics arent right and youre essentially covering up an issue by jamming more pressure which will lead you to a failure. Adjusting the characteristics and shifting with the least amount of pressure necessary to achieve intended shift targets will not only ensure longevity, but will also net lower trans temps overall again ensuring longevity. hope that helps you understand and make the proper decision moving forward.

Got it !

Thanks Justin

Tuner in Training JustinWhiteTuned's Avatar
    no problem. here to help if needed